Petition to Blues: Do NOT Re-Sign Eric Brewer

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: Petition to Blues: Do NOT Re-Sign Eric Brewer

Post by Battra »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Battra wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Battra wrote:Two goals in two games.

GO BREWER!!!

You guys are awesome fans btw.

Captains are required to score a min a fifty points per year right?
I'm not an insane Brewer hater, but I'm not a Brewer apologist. He has been playing better this year, but he has been here since 2005 and the only time the Blues made the playoffs was when he was injured half the season. He will never be accepted here. I'm not saying that because I think it's right that people boo him anytime he steps on the ice, but it's true. It would just be better for all parties if they moved on. But then fans would have to find a new go-to whipping boy.

Oh, and by the way, 2 goals in 2 games doesn't take away years of flubs and underwhelming play.
Want to hear an amazing fact?

The only year the Blues have made the playoffs since drafting Erik Johnson was the year he didn't play.

Amazing huh?
Good for him. EJ is 22 years old. He is in his 4th year in the NHL, and only the 3rd year in which he can play. That would have been his 2nd season. Eric Brewer is an established vet, a Captain, and a "#1 defenseman." EJ is still developing, Brewer is not.

And don't be an ass about this. Staunch Brewer defend are about as unreasonable as staunch Brewer haters. Like I said, Brewer doesn't deserve half the crap he takes from people. But I really do believe his time as a Blues is nearing it's end. He'd be perfectly suited as a 3rd-4th defenseman on a good team. And if he's willing to accept that role here, then fine. But if not...this team isn't going to go anywhere if Brewer is considered one of your best players. He's not an elite player by any means.
I think this thread and petition is the most hysterical thing on the internet.

If you think one player on the ice is causing them to make or miss the playoffs, well I don't know what to tell you.

If you think that Brewer's not been over criticized, over analyzed, etc, then I don't know what to tell you.

People have been on about his +/- ever since he got here, until now, because he's a plus.

It's ridiculous and I'm enjoying his quality play as people are trying to usher him out the door, for the good of the team.

Look at the people who claim to know what kind of a captain he is.

Ridiculous.

How would they know unless they were on the team?

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Battra wrote:I think this thread and petition is the most hysterical thing on the internet.
I thought you already won that "award"!
Battra wrote:Yes. I have game worn hockey jerseys. Yes, I only wear game worn hockey jerseys. If you're jealous, I wouldn't blame you. Before I had any I was very jealous of people who had them. I consider myself to be very luck to have acquired the jerseys I have. Especially my Sanford gamers.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Battra wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Battra wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

GO BREWER!!!

I'm not an insane Brewer hater, but I'm not a Brewer apologist. He has been playing better this year, but he has been here since 2005 and the only time the Blues made the playoffs was when he was injured half the season. He will never be accepted here. I'm not saying that because I think it's right that people boo him anytime he steps on the ice, but it's true. It would just be better for all parties if they moved on. But then fans would have to find a new go-to whipping boy.

Oh, and by the way, 2 goals in 2 games doesn't take away years of flubs and underwhelming play.

The only year the Blues have made the playoffs since drafting Erik Johnson was the year he didn't play.

Amazing huh?
Good for him. EJ is 22 years old. He is in his 4th year in the NHL, and only the 3rd year in which he can play. That would have been his 2nd season. Eric Brewer is an established vet, a Captain, and a "#1 defenseman." EJ is still developing, Brewer is not.

And don't be an ass about this. Staunch Brewer defend are about as unreasonable as staunch Brewer haters. Like I said, Brewer doesn't deserve half the crap he takes from people. But I really do believe his time as a Blues is nearing it's end. He'd be perfectly suited as a 3rd-4th defenseman on a good team. And if he's willing to accept that role here, then fine. But if not...this team isn't going to go anywhere if Brewer is considered one of your best players. He's not an elite player by any means.
Overstate much?
If you think one player on the ice is causing them to make or miss the playoffs, well I don't know what to tell you.
Brewer is not the only reason they missed the playoffs. But he is one of the reasons, so why shouldn't fans want him gone?

When healthy, this team is a better team without Brewer in the lineup. Anyone who has watched the Blues game in and game out over the past five years can tell you this. To take the small sample size of games that is this season and ignore the previous FIVE SEASONS he's been with the team when debating whether or not to re-sign him, is ridiculous.
If you take his play as a whole since he's been with the Blues, no way do you re-sign him. He'd have to have one hell of a season this year for the Blues to want to re-sign him. If he does have a hell of a season, you trade him at the deadline since he'll finally have some value.
If you think that Brewer's not been over criticized, over analyzed, etc, then I don't know what to tell you.
When you are badly underperforming and you were traded for Pronger, that's what you get. It's just the way it is.
People have been on about his +/- ever since he got here, until now, because he's a plus.
In his first five years with the Blues he was a -76.... A MINUS 76!! I really don't care if he's currently a +6 after 19 games. That doesn't magically erase his first five years with us. He was also a minus player in Edmonton...and a minus player in New York before that. In his 11 seasons in the NHL, he's only had one season where he finished as a +. He is a career -102.
It's ridiculous and I'm enjoying his quality play as people are trying to usher him out the door, for the good of the team.
He's been better this year so far...but it's not ridiculous for people to want him gone. He's had short stretches of games in the past where he's been good, but it never lasts, as a whole, his career here has sucked.

Ridiculous.

It doesn't do any good to say that so and so is "great in the locker room" when it doesn't translate into improved play on the ice for the team. It's just teammates sticking up for their captain. Fans don't give a crap about how good he is in the locker room. The games aren't played in the locker room.
Fans just want to win games...screw the locker room cred.

Captains should lead by example on the ice to help his team win games.
They should do one or more of the following: be a defensive machine, or an offensive threat, or a passionate vocal leader, or be a major physical presence on the ice, or be a tough guy and frequently drop the gloves.
Brewer is none of those...not even close really.

And him being captain isn't even the main issue (even though he shouldn't be captain)...the main issue is that he is treated like a #1 defenseman by getting #1 minutes and matched up against the other team's top players...and he's just not good enough to warrant that.

Brewer is a #3 defenseman at best.

I have wanted to like the guy during his time here, but he makes it hard to like him because of his constant screw ups. I root for him and cheer when he makes a good play because I am a Blues fan. And if we do re-sign him and he has a great next five years with us, then great...I'll be the first to admit I was wrong for wanting him gone. But I really don't see that happening at all.

I'm just tired of being worried every time he has the puck. I'm tired of being scared at how bad Datsyuk is going to embarrass our fearless leader this shift. I'm tired of seeing missed assignments with him on the ice that cost us goals. I'm tired of seeing Brewer look up to the sky when a goal is scored against his line. I'm tired of Brewer falling down and getting caught behind the play. I'm tired of the puck skipping over his blade at the blue line. I'm tired of him getting delay of game penalties for clearing the puck over the glass. I'm tired of him screwing up a pass. I'm tired of his lack of emotion on the ice. I'm tired of waiting for him to "turn it around". I'm just tired of him. The blues gave him five years...it's time to move on and try to improve the team.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

ohio BLUES wrote:
Battra wrote:I think this thread and petition is the most hysterical thing on the internet.
I thought you already won that "award"!
Battra wrote:Yes. I have game worn hockey jerseys. Yes, I only wear game worn hockey jerseys. If you're jealous, I wouldn't blame you. Before I had any I was very jealous of people who had them. I consider myself to be very luck to have acquired the jerseys I have. Especially my Sanford gamers.
You think?

Thanks. :)

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

cprice12 wrote:
Battra wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Battra wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

GO BREWER!!!

Amazing huh?

Overstate much?
Brewer is not the only reason they missed the playoffs. But he is one of the reasons, so why shouldn't fans want him gone?

When healthy, this team is a better team without Brewer in the lineup. Anyone who has watched the Blues game in and game out over the past five years can tell you this. To take the small sample size of games that is this season and ignore the previous FIVE SEASONS he's been with the team when debating whether or not to re-sign him, is ridiculous.
If you take his play as a whole since he's been with the Blues, no way do you re-sign him. He'd have to have one hell of a season this year for the Blues to want to re-sign him. If he does have a hell of a season, you trade him at the deadline since he'll finally have some value.
When you are badly underperforming and you were traded for Pronger, that's what you get. It's just the way it is.
In his first five years with the Blues he was a -76.... A MINUS 76!! I really don't care if he's currently a +6 after 19 games. That doesn't magically erase his first five years with us. He was also a minus player in Edmonton...and a minus player in New York before that. In his 11 seasons in the NHL, he's only had one season where he finished as a +. He is a career -102.
He's been better this year so far...but it's not ridiculous for people to want him gone. He's had short stretches of games in the past where he's been good, but it never lasts, as a whole, his career here has sucked.

Ridiculous.

It doesn't do any good to say that so and so is "great in the locker room" when it doesn't translate into improved play on the ice for the team. It's just teammates sticking up for their captain. Fans don't give a crap about how good he is in the locker room. The games aren't played in the locker room.

They should do one or more of the following: be a defensive machine, or an offensive threat, or a passionate vocal leader, or be a major physical presence on the ice, or be a tough guy and frequently drop the gloves.

And him being captain isn't even the main issue (even though he shouldn't be captain)...the main issue is that he is treated like a #1 defenseman by getting #1 minutes and matched up against the other team's top players...and he's just not good enough to warrant that.

I have wanted to like the guy during his time here, but he makes it hard to like him because of his constant screw ups. I root for him and cheer when he makes a good play because I am a Blues fan. And if we do re-sign him and he has a great next five years with us, then great...I'll be the first to admit I was wrong for wanting him gone. But I really don't see that happening at all.

I'm just tired of being worried every time he has the puck. I'm tired of being scared at how bad Datsyuk is going to embarrass our fearless leader this shift. I'm tired of seeing missed assignments with him on the ice that cost us goals. I'm tired of seeing Brewer look up to the sky when a goal is scored against his line. I'm tired of Brewer falling down and getting caught behind the play. I'm tired of the puck skipping over his blade at the blue line. I'm tired of him getting delay of game penalties for clearing the puck over the glass. I'm tired of him screwing up a pass. I'm tired of his lack of emotion on the ice. I'm tired of waiting for him to "turn it around". I'm just tired of him. The blues gave him five years...it's time to move on and try to improve the team.

You said it all when you said: when you were traded for Pronger.

+/- is a team stat.

Please continue. I find this very entertaining.

joosforjihad
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by joosforjihad »

Battra wrote:Please continue. I find this very entertaining.
Continue? I think he summed up every reason why re-signing Brewer is a bad idea.

The only thing about you I'm jealous of is how completely oblivious you are to reality. Actually, scratch that, I like being able to comprehend things.

And $750 for a Sanford jersey?!? :aaaa: How much does that make a Halak jersey? 8 grand? :moran:

How do I ignore this jackwagon?

Official sponsor of Andy McDonald's 401k

[joosforjihad] 8:05 pm: Will you spare my life when the robots take over?
[Dooger] 8:05 pm: I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

Brewer sucks! Still worst trade by the Blues in the last 10 years just saying...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Misc. Blues wrote:Brewer sucks! Still worst trade by the Blues in the last 10 years just saying...
Misc Blues? Haven't seen you in awhile...
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Battra wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Battra wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Battra wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote: I'm not an insane Brewer hater, but I'm not a Brewer apologist. He has been playing better this year, but he has been here since 2005 and the only time the Blues made the playoffs was when he was injured half the season. He will never be accepted here. I'm not saying that because I think it's right that people boo him anytime he steps on the ice, but it's true. It would just be better for all parties if they moved on. But then fans would have to find a new go-to whipping boy.

Amazing huh?

Overstate much?

Ridiculous.

You said it all when you said: when you were traded for Pronger.

+/- is a team stat.

Please continue. I find this very entertaining.
Whatever dude.
You haven't made a case for him to stay, so I say you've got nothing.

Make a case for him to stay. Why should the Blues re-sign him? I want to hear reasons.

And yeah, +/- is usually a team stat...but sometimes it just means you suck. And when you are a -107 for your career across three different teams, there might be something to that stat.

But I don't even need stats. I've watched him play. I rarely miss a game. He sucks as a #1 defenseman. Period.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

cprice12 wrote:But I don't even need stats. I've watched him play. I rarely miss a game. He sucks as a #1 defenseman. Period.
He's more like a #2... defenseman.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Darren Pang
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Darren Pang »

Battra wrote:Please continue. I find this very entertaining.
Holy Jumpin' 9 of heartz!
ImageImage
goon attack wrote: DARREN PANG- A-- Panger rocks

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

philco_3 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:But I don't even need stats. I've watched him play. I rarely miss a game. He sucks as a #1 defenseman. Period.
Maybe on his best night.
On most nights he's a #3 at best.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

cprice12 wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
Maybe on his best night.
On most nights he's a #3 at best.
Yeah 3 is the avg. for sure when Polak, Cola and Jackman are in the lineup.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

TL;DR

Brewer is an overpaid clown who has no business being captain. Blues shouldn't continue to pay him

Some kids still like teh brewer.

Battra is an epic douche, who many of us have missed...and many more have not missed.

Therefore:

Battra = Brewer
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Has Brewer been over criticized? Sure, but he's also over paid and over hyped by management and the media.

It would be best for both parties involved if he moved along next year, and even better if he took #5 with him.
If we could move Jackman and Brewer would sign a two year 4.4 million dollar deal, I'd consider it, but he won't so he's gone.

As for trading him...probably not going to happen because we are only 2.5 mill over the salary floor. We'd have to take on at least 2 mill in return in the deal

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:As for trading him...probably not going to happen because we are only 2.5 mill over the salary floor.
... or the fact nobody wants him.

Whichever.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

Another great game by the Captain and +/- leader of the Blues.

A few blocked shots and some great defensive plays.

He also won a fight with Ott, sticking up for a teammate.

So again...please, start a petition on say Jay McClement...let's get his +/- back to even shall we?

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Battra wrote:Another great game by the Captain and +/- leader of the Blues.

So again...please, start a petition on say Jay McClement...let's get his +/- back to even shall we?
Really, dude?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm not on the Brewer hate wagon nearly as much as many fans, but come on. I was at a bar, so I didn't see it super well, but didn't Brewer commit the turnover that led to the game-winning goal last night?

And McClement is our best penalty killer. Let's not get rid of him. He doesn't deserve a lot of money, but he plays a key role.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:

I'm not on the Brewer hate wagon nearly as much as many fans, but come on. I was at a bar, so I didn't see it super well, but didn't Brewer commit the turnover that led to the game-winning goal last night?.
Yes, Brewer was at fault for the game winning goal. Saying he played a "great game" is a little off.

And joking suggesting McClement should be traded is stupid.
McClement isn't being paid even close to what Brewer is making, and he isn't our captain, and he isn't getting first line minutes.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO