David Backes Extended

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

joosforjihad
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: David Backes Extended

Post by joosforjihad »

saw this on facebook:

Pay Backes a bitch!

Official sponsor of Andy McDonald's 401k

[joosforjihad] 8:05 pm: Will you spare my life when the robots take over?
[Dooger] 8:05 pm: I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I totally disagree with this extension. we need guys scoring goals and a guy who has 2 goals on the season is being paid handsomely for that awesome output?

Someone better turn it on now.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

He has been dishing out some great, timely hits. He always takes forever to get going early in the season, hopefully this nice pay bump will help him hit his stride.

While I think a 3.5/4 mil a year contract might have been more appropriate for his production, we WOULD be VERY pissed if we didn't extend him and the Wings or Canucks got him, even if for the same 4.5 mil/year. And then he'd come back to the Scott and demolish us every time with a hat trick.

He's a good leader, I look forward to him having the C instead of Brewer - and hopefully shipping in some goals and PIMs while he's at it (amirite, goon?)

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'll take 30 goals, thanks.

I'll take 30 from Perron, Boyes and AMac too. Yeah, that would work.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:Uhh...my respect for Backes just went down a little.
Because he got paid?
Too much....he asked for too much...he knows we can't turn him down.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Also because for some ungodly reason when the team is facing a crapload of crippling injuries and the product on ice has been diminished slightly, Backes is now being rewarded for pretty much nothing special or out of the ordinary. It's not like he's scored 10 goals in the past 2 games and singlehandedly carried the team on his back since Columbus owned the team and TJ went down.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

glen a richter wrote:I'll take 30 goals, thanks.

Who is this AMac you speak of?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

philco_3 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I'll take 30 goals, thanks.

Who is this AMac you speak of?
Some phenom who was so amazing, we had to trade Dug Wait to get him.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

He must have had a clause that paid him an extra million for appearing on the cover of the AT&T phone book for St. Louis this year...

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

I'm good with this deal. Afterall, it's not my $$$!

Just start scoring god dammit, consistently!

In all seriousness, I fully expect him to step up and score more to go along with his leadership.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Backes has the potential to be one of the better power forwards the NHL has seen in some time. YES you pay him handsomely and hope he fulfills his potential. Plus, he's one of this team's leaders. The fixation on quantitative reasoning by some of you motherfreakers is asinine.

This is a no-brainer.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

JCShutout wrote:
TheoSqua wrote:
JCShutout wrote:Seems too high. I was hoping for 3.5 per, which would have him a little overpaid in his down years, but a little bit of a steal in his good years. So do Osh and Perron get 5-6 per now?
I feel like I've read this somewhere before. Plagiarism is frowned upon, don'tchaknow.
Good point. My deepest apologies...

[quote="JCShutout on gatewayredbirds.com, "other sports" forum, "St. Louis Blues 2010 Regular Season Thread""]Seems too high. I was hoping for 3.5 per, which would have him a little overpaid in his down years, but a little bit of a steal in his good years. So do Osh and Perron get 5-6 per now?
[/quote]

Much better, you gotta quote your sources. JCShutout on GRB is a good dude. I should know, I post there (though I go by the name Leroy over there)
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

goon attack wrote:Backes has the potential to be one of the better power forwards the NHL has seen in some time. YES you pay him handsomely and hope he fulfills his potential. Plus, he's one of this team's leaders. The fixation on quantitative reasoning by some of you motherfreakers is asinine.

This is a no-brainer.
I have to admit that I am with goon on this one.

Plays like the goal he scored against the preds are exactly why. Backes was open because he absolutely pancaked the guy who was supposed to be covering him. Backes can pitch in offensively, but he hits like a truck, isn't afraid of anyone, and leads by example.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
goon attack wrote:Backes has the potential to be one of the better power forwards the NHL has seen in some time. YES you pay him handsomely and hope he fulfills his potential. Plus, he's one of this team's leaders. The fixation on quantitative reasoning by some of you motherfreakers is asinine.

This is a no-brainer.
I have to admit that I am with goon on this one.

Plays like the goal he scored against the preds are exactly why. Backes was open because he absolutely pancaked the guy who was supposed to be covering him. Backes can pitch in offensively, but he hits like a truck, isn't afraid of anyone, and leads by example.
Exactly. Why anyone bases their opinion of DB on his point production is a mystery to me. None of us are in the room or on the plane (despite Billy Pilgrims efforts) to witness what DB means to the team. He is an old school hockey player that plays a team game. I think JD, DA, Payne and Co know exactly what they are doing and their plan is working marvelously. Now let's get healthy and keep on racking up points.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Image?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Actually, when I first saw the thread title I figured it was a pic of his manhood, not about contract stuff.

:lol:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

stlmark wrote:I'm good with this deal. Afterall, it's not my $$$!
The way I look at it, it is my money. You will be spending money to go see the product, and without me (and everyone that follows the Blues), there is no team and there is no one to pay Backes.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Then he should be opening up the ice for the other dumbasses to score some goals, yet no one is scoring. If this is the case, give Backes twice the money he got and trade his linemates for guys who will actually take advantage of the open ice he creates for them.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

drwoland wrote:He has been dishing out some great, timely hits. He always takes forever to get going early in the season, hopefully this nice pay bump will help him hit his stride.

While I think a 3.5/4 mil a year contract might have been more appropriate for his production, we WOULD be VERY pissed if we didn't extend him and the Wings or Canucks got him, even if for the same 4.5 mil/year. And then he'd come back to the Scott and demolish us every time with a hat trick.

He's a good leader, I look forward to him having the C instead of Brewer - and hopefully shipping in some goals and PIMs while he's at it (amirite, goon?)
Which was exactly my point earlier in the thread.

Backes would have gotten at least $4.5 million per from someone else...and if it had been Detroit or Chicago, forget about it.

I'm glad we have him. It could very well be a bargain of a contract in a year or two.

And while it would be nice if he were scoring a bit more right now (could say that about anyone on the team right now), he is a physical presence and a leader on the ice that is capable of putting up good numbers.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

We're paying 3 dollars per hot dog and 8 bucks per piss beer. Obviously money is not that important to us.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller