Salary Cap to rise beginning in 2010-11 season!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Salary Cap to rise beginning in 2010-11 season!

Post by xbleed83bluex »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=532706

This might be good news to me. I've never been a fan of the post-lockout cap because it seems teams are limited to only one or two superstars. Then whenever you get to many big names, someone would have to be traded or let go eventually. Maybe this will ease up on that a bit even if it's just by a hair. I almost miss the days when The Avs and Wings had basically an all-star roster.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Salary Cap to rise beginning in 2010-11 season!

Post by SIU LAW »

xbleed83bluex wrote: I almost miss the days when The Avs and Wings had basically an all-star roster.
WTF?

If anything, this is bad for smaller market teams (i.e. the Blues).

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

The max cap from 2005-06 is now the minimum.

:doh:

Also, this makes the max salary now close to $12 million.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

SIU LAW wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote: I almost miss the days when The Avs and Wings had basically an all-star roster.
WTF?

The Blues a small-market team? Are you kidding me? We didn't have Ranger or Wings payroll but we were closer to the higher end of the payroll than the lowest. What I considered a small market team back then were The Wild, Predators, Thrashers, and Flames, for example. In the two years prior to the lockout, The Blues had a payroll 69 and 62 mil. Preds were in the 20 mil-range, Blue Jackets were in the early 30-mil range, Panthers 20-mil, Flames 30-mil, even the Senators were around the 35-mil range, etc etc.

The Rangers and Wings alternated having the highest salaries at around the 76/77-mil range.. One thing I liked about being a Blues fan was our advantage in payroll we had against most other teams.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

The Blues had an owner that was spending well above this market's ability.

The current ownership would not be able to spend like that.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

xbleed83bluex wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
WTF?

The Blues a small-market team? Are you kidding me? We didn't have Ranger or Wings payroll but we were closer to the higher end of the payroll than the lowest. What I considered a small market team back then were The Wild, Predators, Thrashers, and Flames, for example. In the two years prior to the lockout, The Blues had a payroll 69 and 62 mil. Preds were in the 20 mil-range, Blue Jackets were in the early 30-mil range, Panthers 20-mil, Flames 30-mil, even the Senators were around the 35-mil range, etc etc.

The Rangers and Wings alternated having the highest salaries at around the 76/77-mil range.. One thing I liked about being a Blues fan was our advantage in payroll we had against most other teams.
The Wild are anything but a small-market team. However, there is intense competition for the hockey-related dollar in Minnesota as most people follow college hockey, play themselves or have kids that do. {{And that's "play themselves" not "play with themselves" although you could make an argument for both.}} The Wild just CHOOSE to spend frugally.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.