Blues acquire TJ Hensick for Julian Talbot

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Blues acquire TJ Hensick for Julian Talbot

Post by northwest dave »

Interesting.

linky

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Blues acquire TJ Hensick for Julian Talbot

Post by dmiles2186 »

This kid scored 70 points at the AHL level? Not bad. 20 goals, 50 assists. Stick him on a line with Perron or Boyes! Nah, I figure he's going to Peoria to start things off.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

:cup:

srsly though- I like this trade a LOT more than I like the Halak one. Halak might pan out into sheer awesomeness but that one is more risky than this one is.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

I'm on board with this deal also! :letsgoblues:
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

anyone know how good Hensick really is?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This deal is called "We traded Eller for a #1 goalie, now we need someone to replace him... oh there's a guy who can do it!"

A great day to be a Blues fan. The future is looking brighter now than it was this morning.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

At 24, he is starting to look like a career minor leaguer, but maybe they can at least get a Poopy Campbell year out of him.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

jaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jaro »

Sorry I can't provide link because I have read 387 online articles about both trades but the only negative I have read on Hensick is he is 5'10" and plays small...everything else has been about his skill and that the Avs must not have had room for him on NHL roster was why he was available. Not sure I buy that but who cares why. A low risk move for us.
USA/NRA

Official sponsor of Steve Durbano

jaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jaro »

I found where I read that info on Hensick. It was from a very knowledgeable and well respected member from another forum. I didn't intend to state this as fact.
USA/NRA

Official sponsor of Steve Durbano

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

WaukeeBlues wrote::cup:

srsly though- I like this trade a LOT more than I like the Halak one. Halak might pan out into sheer awesomeness but that one is more risky than this one is.

I don't get this.

How can trading a prospect who has played a handful of games in the NHL for a goalie who stole the starting job away from Montreal's prodigal son in Carey Price and who dominated in the play-offs. Yeah he may not be a very proven goalie past last year, but he is still way more proven than Eller. Obviously only time will tell who wins this trade, but I mean come on, as of right now I think we won this trade hands down. I am surprised Montreal even traded him without getting any roster players in return. Its a good day to be Blues fan, we don't get many of those, try to enjoy it.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

section319 wrote: How can trading a prospect who has played a handful of games in the NHL for a goalie who stole the starting job away from Montreal's prodigal son in Carey Price and who dominated in the play-offs. Yeah he may not be a very proven goalie past last year, but he is still way more proven than Eller. Obviously only time will tell who wins this trade, but I mean come on, as of right now I think we won this trade hands down. I am surprised Montreal even traded him without getting any roster players in return. Its a good day to be Blues fan, we don't get many of those, try to enjoy it.
:plusplus: :plusplus: :plusplus: :plusplus: :plusplus: :plusplus: :plusplus:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

section319 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote::cup:

I don't get this.

How can trading a prospect who has played a handful of games in the NHL for a goalie who stole the starting job away from Montreal's prodigal son in Carey Price and who dominated in the play-offs. Yeah he may not be a very proven goalie past last year, but he is still way more proven than Eller. Obviously only time will tell who wins this trade, but I mean come on, as of right now I think we won this trade hands down. I am surprised Montreal even traded him without getting any roster players in return. Its a good day to be Blues fan, we don't get many of those, try to enjoy it.
I think we came out on the positive side of this one too, I just fear the all too familiar Brent Johnson/Roman Turek/Cam Ward/J.S. Giguere fall from grace that most playoff standouts seem to go through.

Overall I think you're right, we dealt a guy who could maybe make it for a guy who looks like he is going to. Nevertheless the trade was more risky- I have no doubts Eller will eventually pan out, the only question is how long will he be in the league and how much damage will he do? I'm not convinced yet that Halak will; to say nothing of the fact goalies are inherently more risky anyway.

But like you said, time will tell and we'll see. I just don't think it's as one-sided a trade as everyone is seeming to suggest. If it was, Montreal wouldn't have taken it.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote: But like you said, time will tell and we'll see. I just don't think it's as one-sided a trade as everyone is seeming to suggest. If it was, Montreal wouldn't have taken it.

I think everyone seems to undervalue the fact that he's a RFA. So that means Montreal knew they were not going to get equal talent in return. The question isn't who got the most talent in the deal, we did without question, the question is did we get a good goaltender or a great one, and in Montreal the question is what do they do with the money they will save that they don't have to spend to resign him.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: But like you said, time will tell and we'll see. I just don't think it's as one-sided a trade as everyone is seeming to suggest. If it was, Montreal wouldn't have taken it.

I think everyone seems to undervalue the fact that he's a RFA. So that means Montreal knew they were not going to get equal talent in return. The question isn't who got the most talent in the deal, we did without question, the question is did we get a good goaltender or a great one, and in Montreal the question is what do they do with the money they will save that they don't have to spend to resign him.
a la David Backes? :lol:

Yea I see what you mean. Some team out there would have thrown an offer at Halak if they really wanted him and Montreal went on damage control before it even happened, I can see that.

I'm excited for both these guys, eager to see what they can do, and I think Hensick is better than some give him credit for. Either way, I like the fact that management is not sitting back and making some changes.

:hockey:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Dammit, Hensick is from Michigan, and went to UMich? I just downgraded my liking of this trade to lukewarm at best.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:Dammit, Hensick is from Michigan, and went to UMich? I just downgraded my liking of this trade to lukewarm at best.
:lol: :plusplus:

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

The club made two-way qualifying offers to forwards Cam Janssen and D.J. King, retaining their rights for next season
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

stlbluz wrote:The club made two-way qualifying offers to forwards Cam Janssen and D.J. King, retaining their rights for next season
Yes. And they also re-upped ' for one year at $550k. That's a lot of punctuation.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Hensick is a floater, who plays virtually no defence and shies away from contact. He has a decent shot and is a good passer. But he's not going to win many fights for the puck, and not fast and shifty enough to make a lot of extra space for himself to operate. Maybe he can work out with Ayotte and get a lot stronger. Maybe he can learn to play some defence in Payne's system (as Boyes did last season). But, he's no lock to make The Blues' NHL roster. I wouldn't want to see him and DAgostini both on the 3rd scoring line. That would be a big defensive liability with not lot of offensive firepower to make up for it. I still think The Blues will bring in 2 more Top 9 forwards (one a Top6-with some luck a #1 liner).

Julian Talbot will NEVER be an NHLer. If you get someone in trade for him, you'd better not expect too much.