Halak to the Blues

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Halak to the Blues

Post by strocklen083 »

WaukeeBlues wrote: Sillinger for Shishkanov
We were the worst team in the leage and weren't in any position of leverage w/that trade. Sillinger had 22 goals but the was also a -17. This doesn't even register on any list of prominent moves by Pleau
WaukeeBlues wrote: Janssen for Salvador
Pleau wasn't calling the shots when this trade was made. JD had to choose between keeping Jackman and Salvador. There was no way they were keeping either. Plus I hate to admit it, but Salvador was WAY over valued by many people in this city. He's a solid defenseman but he's not an all-world talent by any strecth of the imagination. A pick would have been better, I agree. But when you take into consideration the injuries DJ King has piled up, we ended up needing a guy like Janssen around anyhow. Devils most certainly "won" this transaction. But it wasn't as lopsided as you infer.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

strocklen083 wrote:
We were the worst team in the leage and weren't in any position of leverage w/that trade. Sillinger had 22 goals but the was also a -17. This doesn't even register on any list of prominent moves by Pleau
Pleau wasn't calling the shots when this trade was made. JD had to choose between keeping Jackman and Salvador. There was no way they were keeping either. Plus I hate to admit it, but Salvador was WAY over valued by many people in this city. He's a solid defenseman but he's not an all-world talent by any strecth of the imagination. A pick would have been better, I agree. But when you take into consideration the injuries DJ King has piled up, we ended up needing a guy like Janssen around anyhow. Devils most certainly "won" this transaction. But it wasn't as lopsided as you infer.
Well when the choice is keep the UFA you have no intention of signing and letting him walk for nothing versus getting something in return for him at the deadline, it's a no-brainer. The offer from NJ was a 3rd round pick or Janssen. We know which JD picked.

I'd like a do-over on the Pronger trade too but when every team knows your owner is forcing you to move a guy, the offers just weren't that hot. I'd love to hear what some of the other offers were.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

strocklen083 wrote:
Disagree. He was having a career year that season, and yea he was -17... on a team with guys in the -25 range BECAUSE we were so terrible that year. He was a player re-born that season and we trade him for a gamble AHL player nobody had heard of who promptly packed for Russia first chance he got. I REFUSE to believe he couldn't get anything else for Sillinger; the guy was a stud that year.
strocklen083 wrote:
Salvador didn't need to be an all-world talent, just reliable and responsible which is exactly what he was. If I were offered this trade, I probably would have laughed. Honestly. It was that bad.

You want to acquire a tough guy like Janssen with St. Louis roots- fine. But don't use Bryce Salvador, one of the few decent defensemen on the team that year IIRC, to do it.

And to cut Pleau some slack- I still give him mega props for the DUG WAITZ trade. We bent Anaheim over with that one and took advantage of their salary problems which was awesome.

I guess it all evens out; though all in all I have been more critical of Pleau than admiring.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

WaukeeBlues wrote: Disagree. He was having a career year that season, and yea he was -17... on a team with guys in the -25 range BECAUSE we were so terrible that year. He was a player re-born that season and we trade him for a gamble AHL player nobody had heard of who promptly packed for Russia first chance he got. I REFUSE to believe he couldn't get anything else for Sillinger; the guy was a stud that year.
The works "Sillinger" and "stud" should never be used in the same sentence. :grin:
But I digress....At the time the team needed a potential long term problem to scoring. They obviously valued an NHL-ready prospect over a draft pick just for the immediate impact. They knew the risks involved when trading for a guy like Shishkanov. I have to believe that was the best deal out there only because any team in professional sports does anything they can to NOT trade within their own division. In the end the move didn't help either team really. Nashville didn't get their cup and we didn't get the young impact forward we needed. I'd call it a wash...

WaukeeBlues wrote: Salvador didn't need to be an all-world talent, just reliable and responsible which is exactly what he was. If I were offered this trade, I probably would have laughed. Honestly. It was that bad.
Also gotta remember that both Jackman and Salvador had expiring contracts and both were wanting big money. Jackman probably would have commanded a bigger return just because of his reputation (at the time). But the decision was made that Jackman was more valuable long term than Salvador. I think the only reason people are sour about this trade is because of the way Jackman as regressed over the last two years. It wasn't a horrible trade at the time. But given the way our defensive corp has turned out recently, it just looks like another mis-step in the rebuild.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

So what type of contract would you all expect Halak to sign in coming days or weeks?

I'm thinking somewhere in the 5 year/$20-22 mil range would be acceptable. He's got great numbers over a small sample size but he did stand tall in the playoffs. But I wouldn't give him anything over $4.5 mil a season. The proposal above would buy him out of his arbitration years plus an additional 3 years beyond that.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

strocklen083 wrote: I think the only reason people are sour about this trade is because of the way Jackman as regressed over the last two years. It wasn't a horrible trade at the time. But given the way our defensive corp has turned out recently, it just looks like another mis-step in the rebuild.

I think people don't like the trade beacuse..

#1 - Jackman Sucks

#2 - Salvador would be the best defenseman on our team right now (at least defensibly)

#3 - Cam is a waste of a roster spot. I'm all for enforcers, but that's not Cam. He's there to entertain the fans, he's the grown-ups' 'Louie', and it costs us a valuable spot on the bench. I mean Louie runs into the boards and makes noise without hitting an opponent, why's does Cam have to dress out to do that?

I get your point about why they went with Jackman over Bryce, but they traded for Cam to help sell tickets....not to win hockey games and that's what I have a problem with.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

strocklen083 wrote:So what type of contract would you all expect Halak to sign in coming days or weeks?

I'm thinking somewhere in the 5 year/$20-22 mil range would be acceptable. He's got great numbers over a small sample size but he did stand tall in the playoffs. But I wouldn't give him anything over $4.5 mil a season. The proposal above would buy him out of his arbitration years plus an additional 3 years beyond that.
I REALLY hope it's not 5 years- that is way too long. I would be comfortable with 3- I think that'd be perfect. Long enough to give him a serious shot but short enough that if he obviously isn't panning out we're not f*cked in terms of the cap or trying to trade him.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

The gamble is if he does pan out he will cost more to retain 3 years from now than what he will get this year. In other words, say a 5 year deal now at 4 mil per. If he is as advertised, 3 years from now (if he only signs for 3) he will prolly be UFA and command 7 mil per. See Adam Oates. You choose long term security vs true market value year vs year.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

I'm still sticking with 4 years, 18 mil.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Prngr44 wrote:I'm still sticking with 4 years, 18 mil.
This would be nice. But I don't see him signing for anything under $20 mil unfortunately.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Leedog wrote:The gamble is if he does pan out he will cost more to retain 3 years from now than what he will get this year. In other words, say a 5 year deal now at 4 mil per. If he is as advertised, 3 years from now (if he only signs for 3) he will prolly be UFA and command 7 mil per. See Adam Oates. You choose long term security vs true market value year vs year.
This.

5 years, 20 mil. sounds great to me, of course I think he knows the above as much as we do and will want a contract closer to 3 years. But, I don't think he signs for more than $4mil, $4.5 max.
Last edited by section319 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Since we have the cap room to play with incentives, they should sign him to something like 2 million per year, with BIG bonuses if he hits certain milestones.

Maybe an extra million per playoff round won.

It would be a 6 million dollar cap hit, but since we have the room, who cares.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Leedog wrote:The gamble is if he does pan out he will cost more to retain 3 years from now than what he will get this year. In other words, say a 5 year deal now at 4 mil per. If he is as advertised, 3 years from now (if he only signs for 3) he will prolly be UFA and command 7 mil per. See Adam Oates. You choose long term security vs true market value year vs year.
With forwards, I would agree with you (as you said- Adam Oates). They very rarely go from standout to doghouse within 5ish years. Goalies... eeehhhh. I get what you're saying I would just rather not take that chance.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
With forwards, I would agree with you (as you said- Adam Oates). They very rarely go from standout to doghouse within 5ish years. Goalies... eeehhhh. I get what you're saying I would just rather not take that chance.
Mid-level forwards are relatively easy to acquire if you want to get one.
Difference making goalies are hardly ever available because teams don't let go of them. We've been trying to get one for the past...well...forever, and couldn't. They're tough to get.
Halak has been that guy so far in his short career. Could he be a one hit wonder? Sure, but you could say that about any good/great young player you acquire. If you want to win, you have to make moves like this once in a while.

I'd do this trade every time...and twice on Sundays.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

kodos wrote:Since we have the cap room to play with incentives, they should sign him to something like 2 million per year, with BIG bonuses if he hits certain milestones.

Ugh, for the millionth time, per the current CBA, you can only have incentive bonuses on entry-level contracts and contracts for players that are over 35 when the contract kicks in. No incentives for a Halak deal.

And another reason that we didn't get as much for Pronger. About half the league was a UFA that year with all the crazy buyouts. Why give up a ton for Pronger when there were plenty of UFA defensemen to be had for just dollars. Also, a bunch of teams were over the cap and had to basically give away contracts. We let Demitra walk for absolutely nothing even though he was an RFA.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

JWatt (formerly PMS) wrote:And another reason that we didn't get as much for Pronger. About half the league was a UFA that year with all the crazy buyouts. Why give up a ton for Pronger when there were plenty of UFA defensemen to be had for just dollars. Also, a bunch of teams were over the cap and had to basically give away contracts. We let Demitra walk for absolutely nothing even though he was an RFA.
But that's the thing that gets me about Pronger. Numerous reports have come through the woodwork that EDM offered Lynch, Woywitka and HORCOFF at first, but they were turned down because Pleau wanted another defenseman. So instead we got Brewer. I'm sorry, but if you would have asked 28 other GMs in the league at the time of the deal, they would have taken Horcoff over Brewer. Now, I would still take Horcoff over King Slow-ass.

Has Horcoff panned out to be a top guy in Edmonton? No, he hasn't. But giving him a different situation in a different city may have done wonders for the then-very young player.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JWatt (formerly PMS) wrote:
kodos wrote:Since we have the cap room to play with incentives, they should sign him to something like 2 million per year, with BIG bonuses if he hits certain milestones.

Ugh, for the millionth time, per the current CBA, you can only have incentive bonuses on entry-level contracts and contracts for players that are over 35 when the contract kicks in. No incentives for a Halak deal.

And another reason that we didn't get as much for Pronger. About half the league was a UFA that year with all the crazy buyouts. Why give up a ton for Pronger when there were plenty of UFA defensemen to be had for just dollars. Also, a bunch of teams were over the cap and had to basically give away contracts. We let Demitra walk for absolutely nothing even though he was an RFA.
All the more reason to hold on to Pronger instead of giving him away.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

When you elicit this type of response from this year's Stanley Cup winning coach, you are doing something right. To Bernie's Twitter we go!
miklasz I asked Joel Quenneville for his opinion on the Blues getting Jaroslav Halak and he said: "Nasty trade for the Blackhawks." He loves Halak.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Many have hit on this already, but a great goalie can be the most important person on a team. This is a trade that simply had to be made.

hullisgod, curt and a few others I agree with...

eller has potential but he's unproven. he may be a bust. Halak has already proven to be a big game goalie.

If we had a guy like that during the Mac/Pronger heyday, we'd have won a Cup.

I'm a huge fan of this deal.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

goon attack wrote:Many have hit on this already, but a great goalie can be the most important person on a team. This is a trade that simply had to be made.

hullisgod, curt and a few others I agree with...

eller has potential but he's unproven. he may be a bust. Halak has already proven to be a big game goalie.

If we had a guy like that during the Mac/Pronger heyday, we'd have won a Cup.

I'm a huge fan of this deal.
:plusplus:
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.