NHL Draft Order based on Mathematical Elimination

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

NHL Draft Order based on Mathematical Elimination

Post by Winning Unlimited »

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: NHL Draft Order based on Mathematical Elimination

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I fail to see how that system is any different than how it currently works.

According to this guy and if I've followed it correctly, your team gets a top pick based, not on final point standings, but on your team's record based on when you were eliminated from playoff contention.

So in other words, if you're going to miss the playoffs, your team better make sure you do it sooner rather than later otherwise you might miss out on a better pick. That encourages winning?

I see what he's trying to say, but the underlying premise isn't all that different from how it currently works.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

That's fairly straight forward. You get eliminated, you get slotted according to the number of points you accumulate in all games post mathematical elimination, highest to lowest.

Ergo, if you get eliminated early, you're best served to keep playing hard anyway because if you get more points than another team that gets eliminated, you score a higher draft pick.

You benefit from playing hard after it no longer matters to your playoff hopes. What's so difficult about that, Waukee?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

That's all fine and dandy if you feel teams are tanking...but I don't think it happens enough to be considered a problem.

If I understand this right, under this format, their is a good chance the worst team in the league won't get the first pick.
If you are the worst team, you will get eliminated first...but being the worst teams that means not many points will be accumulated after elimination.
A team that gets eliminated days or weeks later, could quite possibly accumulate more points than a team eliminated first because they are simply a better team.
Also, what if one team has a tough schedule the last few weeks of the season and another team has an easy schedule?
We'd essentially be determining draft order based on strength of schedule after you are eliminated.

Or... what about conferences? If one conference is poor, that means your team will be in the playoff hunt longer, resulting in a worse draft pick if you are eliminated late in the season, but those teams may actually have worse point totals than teams eliminated earlier from the other conference.

All kinds of things are wrong with this philosophy.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

"Tanking" does exist. This affects the identification of the team that really is the worst.

If Edmonton is a worst case scenario, they only had to produce a winning percentage of 30% to get the first overall pick using my recommendation. Although, this is just ad-hoc analysis anyway.

The problem with schedules is worse for playoff teams. Playoff positions can be determined based on the tanking factor. It is best to err on the side of caution and make sure you get the playoff teams right, and then you can worry about the draft order teams' strength of schedule.

Poor conferences already exist. Over the last 17 years, the west has had the team lowest in the standings just twice (06 STL, 10 EDM). And if you really wanted to, you could use chi-square tests for independence to show that there is disparity already among the conferences. Or, we can list the NHL's draft order by conference vs my draft order by conference and lets see who has more parity?

Mathematical Elimination
1. West
2. West
3. East
4. East
5. West
6. East
7. West
8. West
9. West
10. East
11. East
12. East
13. West
14. East

NHL
1. West
2. East
3. East
4. West
5. East
6. East
7. East
8. East
9. West
10. East
11. West
12. West
13. West
14. West

Look at that. 2 of the top 8 picks are in the west. This result is statistically significant using the recommended test for the NHL, but not significant for my order.
Last edited by Winning Unlimited on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Just make the trip to Truman tomorrow and come say hi. :okman:

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

It's just too complicated. I don't think "tanking" is as big of a problem as people think.

The draft is too much of a crap shoot anyway. It all balances out.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:That's fairly straight forward. You get eliminated, you get slotted according to the number of points you accumulate in all games post mathematical elimination, highest to lowest.

Ergo, if you get eliminated early, you're best served to keep playing hard anyway because if you get more points than another team that gets eliminated, you score a higher draft pick.

You benefit from playing hard after it no longer matters to your playoff hopes. What's so difficult about that, Waukee?
Not difficult, just not any different.

In either format (what exists or this hypothetical), the absolute worst case scenario is to get to the final games of the season and not make the playoffs.

What I was getting at is like something like that Blues' situation. We were mathematically in the hunt until the very end. "Mathematically in" and "likely to make" aren't the same thing.

What this new system would encourage is to lose quickly to get out of the playoff race if it doesn't look very good that you're going to get in anyway. THAT way, you have more games to accumulate points. It basically encourages teams on the fringe to lose and get out of the race to improve your draft position. So, like I said, it encourages losing.

That obviously assumes that professional athletes and coaches would honestly do that, which I don't believe.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

They could base the draft order on post-elimination win PERCENTAGE, not points.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

What happens when a team is eliminated with one game left and then they win it. Then you end up with a 100% win percentage.

This idea, while somewhat interesting, is really just to complicated. The inability to really gauge how good a prospect is really going to be is more of an equalizer than anything.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

OPTIMEGUS wrote:Just make the trip to Truman tomorrow and come say hi. :okman:
I wouldn't go near that place if you paid me...

Oh damn- I forgot I spent 5 years there in the 90s...

Send me a Ronza.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

gaijin wrote:

Send me a Ronza.
Bwahaahahaaaaaa. Yes, the RONZA. I also spent 5 years there in the 90s. Wow. I'm old.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

F that system. It should strictly go on point standing not when somebody gets eliminated.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

fargoblues wrote:
gaijin wrote:

Send me a Ronza.
Bwahaahahaaaaaa. Yes, the RONZA. I also spent 5 years there in the 90s. Wow. I'm old.
Maybe we need to start the Truman Alum group, now that we've hijacked Optimegus's thread.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

kodos wrote:What happens when a team is eliminated with one game left and then they win it. Then you end up with a 100% win percentage.
Luck of the draw.... that team would damn well want to win that last game. It would make for added drama.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

gaijin wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
gaijin wrote:

Send me a Ronza.
Maybe we need to start the Truman Alum group, now that we've hijacked Optimegus's thread.
Well, here's how old I am: I never attended "Truman State University"... :wink:
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

fargoblues wrote:
gaijin wrote:
fargoblues wrote:
gaijin wrote:

Send me a Ronza.
Well, here's how old I am: I never attended "Truman State University"... :wink:
I attended NMSU for one year, then Truman for another 4.

To make things crazier, just tonight I met an Army Lieutenant Colonel here in Afghanistan that graduated from NMSU.