Here's a 10 year old scouting report on Boyes

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Here's a 10 year old scouting report on Boyes

Post by goon attack »

here are a few highlights from this USA Today scouting report on then 18-year old Brad Boyes... there's a blurb about Winchester at the bottom also.
Would it be a major stretch to call Brad Boyes a poor man's version of Red Wings icon Steve Yzerman? It may not be as far-fetched as it seems.
Brad Boyes File
Height/Weight: 6-0/172
Position: Center
Shoots: Right
Birthdate: April 17, 1982
Team: Erie, Ontario Hockey League
Scouting report: He's not big. He's not fast. He's not strong. But pure and simple, he can play. Like most of the good ones, the puck seems to follow him all over the ice. He is a tireless worker and a solid leader. Is an excellent penalty killer who leads by example. A very smart hockey player. Doesn't look for contact but won't shy away from traffic. One word definition - smooth.
BOYES' REPORT CARD

Size/Strength: C+
Skating: B-
Shot/Scoring ability: B+
Puckhandling: A
Hockey Sense: A
Competitiveness: B+
Leadership: A-
Composure/Poise: A
Defense: B

LINK
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Here's a 10 year old scouting report on Boyes

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Thats a bit beyond the scouting report we had on Tkachuk.. "He's big and he goes to the net."

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

They should have another word next to smooth- "quiet." Even when he put up 40 goals, hardly anyone outside of the Blues fan base knew it. He is completely unremarkable in almost every way.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Truth: right after the Blues acquired Boyes, I went to see them play the Rangers at MSG. I was watching and watching and watching, and kept thinking to myself "who the hell is this Boyes guy?" I had no idea he was on the team. I didn't even know who the hell he was. I must have missed the tidbit about them trading for him and didn't even realize he was a member of the team.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

To me, Boyes is just like another former Bruin we had a long time ago. This guy had a few decent seasons of 30-40 goals but was ultimately just blah and only scored 20 goals with us in one season.

Dave Christian

My winger tier system taking into account scoring first and physicality a close second:

Tier 1: Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan
Tier 2: Steve Larmer, Joe Mullen, Geoff Courtnall, Gary Roberts
Tier 3: Dave Christian, Brad Boyes, David Backes
Tier 4: Sergio Momesso, BJ Crombeen, Herb Raglan
Tier 5: Rob Pearson, Brad Winchester, Patrick Berglund

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I'll say this about Boyes...he can be outstanding when he wants to.
It just seems like he takes shifts off and loafs out there. That's fine if you're Brett Hull and are still scoring goals while floating, but he's not doing that.

Every once in a while you see Boyes with a fire lit under his ass, and he's frantically fighting for the puck, dancing around with the puck on a string and generating great scoring chances...but those moments were few and far between this year.

He won't be compared to Yzerman...ever. He's just not the leader type...at least he doesn't seem to be.
But he can be a consistent 30+ goal scorer in this league if he doesn't take shifts off.

It was rumored that the reason he struggled to put the puck on the net this year, was because they stopped making his blade type and he couldn't get used to anything else.
Whatever. That's lame. Find a blade that works for you....or have them custom made or something...he's a millionaire for Christ's sake. Certainly he can pay someone to put together some custom hockey sticks.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Jackman_the_Iceman
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Jackman_the_Iceman »

Boyes + one-timers from sideboards on powerplay = SUCCESS! :okman:
Boyes + everything else = FAIL! :facepalm:

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Hahahaha. Blade type. He's been playing hockey since he was 4.
Gayest thing I've ever heard.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote: Tier 5: Rob Pearson

WWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYY too low. :okman:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I remember a game in the '08-'09 season against Tampa I believe. Game went to OT, Boyes got the puck in space and pulled up along the halfboards to the right of the goalie. Boyes then put this wicked wrister, top shelf, far post, that went around a few defenders and beat the goalie easily. At that time, Boyes was in the middle of his 70+ goals in two seasons run. I've found the video. This is what the guy is capable of. At the time, we had no one else on the team who could do this consistently. This was run-of-the-mill stuff from Boyes. If he can regain this form....

[youtube][/youtube]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

True, but that shot could have just as easily went four feet high and wide. Maybe it is the blade... :roll:
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Outside of some of the fellas quitting or Murray in hopes for a change, I often wonder if there's not a couple of guys tanking on purpose in order to get moved. Stupid I know, but when you mix youth with impatience it's not too far fetched.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

fargoblues wrote:True, but that shot could have just as easily went four feet high and wide.
True, but point being...the Boyes of 12 months ago pots that shot regularly. This year....he just looks ridiculous in even attempting.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I'm failing to see why that shot is so wicked. I mean, he's got a quality wrist shot but the goalie was screened. That was a stoppable shot without the screen. Are you saying his release or positioning was great?

And also, this is 4 on 4. More room for marshmallow man to operate.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Er... how long have you been watching hockey?

I mean, that's not some sort of amazing highlight reel goal, but it's still a nice ass goal. He put himself in the perfect position to hide his shot from the goaltender and picked the corner perfectly. It was a sweet play. Why am I explaining this? Ugh.

Anyway, a few things are funny... 1.) Just how wrong this scouting report is. and 2.) How much we have all turned on Brad Boyes. Man did he go from hero to goat in a hurry. Wow.

I mean, I'm right there with everyone, when he's not using his shot, he's basically worthless... but still, on a team as offensively impotent as the St. Louis Blues, we need guys like Boyes. Well, you know, guys like Boyes was the previous 2 years...

Plus, the guy did probably directly gain the team at least 3-4 points with his cash money shootout skills. Not that those points ended up meaning jack diddly, but still. That is worth something.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote: 2.) How much we have all turned on Brad Boyes. Man did he go from hero to goat in a hurry. Wow.

Scoring is sporadic and I fully believe he will net 25 - 30 next year.

That said, he played extremely lazy on both ends of the ice this year and that's what soured me on him. My guess is it was from pure frustration, but that still doesn't excuse it in my book.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

kodos wrote:He put himself in the perfect position to hide his shot from the goaltender and picked the corner perfectly. It was a sweet play. Why am I explaining this?
I don't know why. Guys make that exact play, or try to like 20 times a game. Boyes does it once, scores once out of 20 tries and he's some sort of wicked sniper? Please. Sure, he's skilled... bfd... dude gets ice time. I could make that damn play 4 on 4.

The goalie didn't see the puck until the last minute. MAJOR PROPS to Boyes for setting up a screen... looks like his Pee Wee coach really did well to get him to maintain that wicked skill. :grin:

But hey, excuse me... you're some sort of f*cken authority all of a sudden. :x

But you're damn right on the lameness of this scouting report... comparing marshmallow man to Yzerman? Holy hell... Yzerman succeeded because he played bigger than his size. He was physical and didn't shy away from physical stuff. Boyes will not do the same.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

DaDitka wrote:

How do ya figure? I based this on his time with the Blues, which was shit. Perhaps he'd be a Tier 4 guy... he was just a disappointment, big time. High draft pick but couldn't raise his skills to NHL superstar caliber.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

goon attack wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

How do ya figure? I based this on his time with the Blues, which was shit. Perhaps he'd be a Tier 4 guy... he was just a disappointment, big time. High draft pick but couldn't raise his skills to NHL superstar caliber.
My sarcasm radar went off drastically when I originally read his comment.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Davidson is just too nice to let anyone go...
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW