Goaltending/Turco released

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Goaltending/Turco released

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

To no one's surprise, Turco is being released by Dallas...

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nhl/ne ... id=5081149

I would say *not* signing this guy is a no brainer.... but with Mason possibly making his exit, and Conklin not likely to be a number 1, I'm conflicted. Do we re-sign Mason?

Here are a list of the goaltender unrestricted free agents, http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.ph ... &type=none

Any of those guys jump out to anyone to be Mason's replacement?

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

Sec310K67
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: Goaltending/Turco released

Post by Sec310K67 »

I wouldnt be suprised that Armstrong takes a look at him and brings him in. He was Turco's GM in Dallas and maybe all Turco needs is a fresh start somewhere else.

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Turco is no spring chicken. I personally don't think he's an upgrade over Mason and i'd prefer keeping Mason over going out and getting a different guy who will play just like him.

My first option would be to try to acquire a young goaltender with potential. Either Halak/Price from Monteral, Schneider from Vancouver, Bernier/Quick from LA, etc.

An interesting option could be Thomas Vokoun. He's a superior goalie to what we have playing for a team that's rebuilding with a quality goalie prospect (Jacob Markstrom) in the wings. He'd only have one year left (although that 5.7m cap hit is a bit much), so he should be relatively cheap and would give the team flexibility if Jake Allen or Ben Bishop look like they're ready.

If none of those options work out, i'd try to resign Mason. If Mason won't take a 1 year deal or a 2-year with the knowledge that he could potentially end the contract as a backup then i suppose you'd have to look into a equivalent goaltender who would sign a more team friendly contract.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

TheoSqua wrote:
An interesting option could be Thomas Vokoun. He's a superior goalie to what we have playing for a team that's rebuilding with a quality goalie prospect (Jacob Markstrom) in the wings. He'd only have one year left (although that 5.7m cap hit is a bit much), so he should be relatively cheap and would give the team flexibility if Jake Allen or Ben Bishop look like they're ready.

I like this a lot, however I think 'the dream' is near over for Bishop (he's going to be a career 'average at best' minor leaguer).

And personally, there is no way in hell I'd ever entertain the idea of bringing back Mason. He's clearly frustrated with some of his teammates, and while he's been adequate most of the time and maybe even 'kept us in the game' from time to time, he's never once stole a game. I would at the very least take a shot on someone with a higher ceiling then Mason. And I do believe Turco fits that bill.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

DaDitka wrote:
TheoSqua wrote:

I like this a lot, however I think 'the dream' is near over for Bishop (he's going to be a career 'average at best' minor leaguer).

And personally, there is no way in hell I'd ever entertain the idea of bringing back Mason. He's clearly frustrated with some of his teammates, and while he's been adequate most of the time and maybe even 'kept us in the game' from time to time, he's never once stole a game. I would at the very least take a shot on someone with a higher ceiling then Mason. And I do believe Turco fits that bill.
Last year we were talking about how amazing Chris was in the second half. I agree, we can find better, and he let in more than his share of softies this year- but give credit where credit is due: Mason "kept us in the game" fairly frequently given our sparse scoring, below-average defense and outstanding ability to find the penalty box. I'd say I feel like this sells him a tad bit short, not short enough for us to throw meaningful money at him, but whether or not he secured wins for us that would have otherwise been losses ("stealing a game") is debatable at worst- like I said he was a huge reason why we streaked to the playoffs last year.

I'd be cool with Vokoun, but if Keith Ballard thought it necessary to try to decapitate him, what do you think will happen when Brewer and Jackman watch him get scored on? Getting him may be sentencing him to death. :lol:
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm fully planted in the "NO" camp when it comes to Turco. The guy just makes too many mistakes, mostly when it comes to playing the puck. And they aren't basic misplays, they are boneheaded, "WHAT IN BUDDHA'S NAME WERE YOU DOING THERE?" kind of mistakes. I know goalies are limited in what they can do with the puck, so when you have one who messes those few chances up, it's not good.

I think Turco is more of a #1 than Mason, as he's proven over the years. But he's played #1 minutes for so long, Mason was a backup for many years. He doesn't have as much wear and tear as someone else his age. If you give me a choice between Turco or Mason, I'm taken the Bearded One.

However, I would like to explore other options...a younger, coming into their prime, possible #1 goalie, like was mentioned earlier in the thread. Another I'd add to that list is Josh Harding. He's 26, backing up Backstrom in Minnesota...I think he needs his shot like Craig Anderson. Only problem is, Harding is an RFA this year. Lots of choices....hard to say what we'll go with. That's what JD, Stretch Armstrong, and Co. are paid the big bucks.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

If we upgrade our Defense I would say keep Mason. Mason kept us in several games, but there was many times where Jackman would put the puck on the other teams stick or wasnt able to hustle back to mess with the guy on the break away. Of course every time I see Mason play the puck I cringe. And plus I'm tired of this team being in a new goalie every 2-3 years.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm starting to think that the problem with Ben "Too Tall" Bishop is that he actually is too tall to play goalie. Maybe they can convert him to defense, convert Junland to forward and trade Brewer and Jackman.

Jake Allen is still a few years down the road, so any stopgap would have to be for more than one year. If they could trade for Vokoun and extend him for two more years, then I'd be down with that. Too bad they didn't get Bryzgalov when everyone had the chance.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

I see Curtis Sanford is available...

Maybe CuJo could come out of retirement too!
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I say we draft nothing but goaltenders this draft.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

WaukeeBlues wrote:I say we draft nothing but goaltenders this draft.
:plusplus: :facepalm:

Just look at how many goalies the Blues have went through... promising or not, the roster is VERY long for a mere 10 years... I feel like Fuhr/Turek were the last true 'starter' goalies we have had... I'm not saying this list is full of great names, but geez... you'd think we'd find at least ONE keeper...

Since 2002:
Sanford
Barasso
Brathwaite
Rudkowsky
Johnson
Beckford-T
Divis
Bacashua
Osgood
Schwarz
Lalime
Legace
Bishop
Toivonen
Mason
Holt
Conklin

I mean, damn.. that's a lot of people coming through... I would love to have Vokoun on this squad. He has always been quality.

Edit: I count 17 names. That's about 25% of the Blues NHL goalie total since their incorporation in '67. So I guess that's horrible when considering, but still too high in my opinion and I only counted goalies since 2002...

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

When we had the Sanford/Cash combo I think that's about as close as we got. Both have fallen off obviously but I think Sanford was about the best we've ever done on that list (homegrown I mean). Johnson a close second/maybe even first now that I think about it. He's been able to stay employed in the NHL anyway :lol:

Yea I don't get it either. I know it's always a crapshoot with goalies, even those in the top 3 of the draft, but still, you'd THINK we'd catch a break and have a starting goalie for longer than a season and a half. Apparently not.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

PASS on Turco. That is all.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I say we draft nothing but goaltenders this draft.
:plusplus: :facepalm:

Just look at how many goalies the Blues have went through... promising or not, the roster is VERY long for a mere 10 years... I feel like Fuhr/Turek were the last true 'starter' goalies we have had... I'm not saying this list is full of great names, but geez... you'd think we'd find at least ONE keeper...

Since 2002:
Sanford
Barasso
Brathwaite
Rudkowsky
Johnson
Beckford-T
Divis
Bacashua
Osgood
Schwarz
Lalime
Legace
Bishop
Toivonen
Mason
Holt
Conklin

I mean, damn.. that's a lot of people coming through... I would love to have Vokoun on this squad. He has always been quality.

Edit: I count 17 names. That's about 25% of the Blues NHL goalie total since their incorporation in '67. So I guess that's horrible when considering, but still too high in my opinion and I only counted goalies since 2002...
Again, I reiterate, we have to be one of the worst drafting franchises in this league. Which is amazing when you consider how many different people have been involved in making those decisions over the years.

Of course part of it could be blamed on poor coaching and instruction in the lower levels and their inability to cultivate this young talent.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

DaDitka wrote: Of course part of it could be blamed on poor coaching and instruction in the lower levels and their inability to cultivate this young talent.
Where did this Payne guy come from again???

:ninja:

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Wait a minute. Manny Legace is only making 500,000 a year? Poor guy. Well, by hockey player standards.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:
DaDitka wrote: Of course part of it could be blamed on poor coaching and instruction in the lower levels and their inability to cultivate this young talent.

And hopefully we start bucking this trend, but there is absolutely no defending this organizations lack of home grown impact players over the last 20 (or more) years.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

DaDitka wrote:
TSUCookieMonster wrote:

And hopefully we start bucking this trend, but there is absolutely no defending this organizations lack of home grown impact players over the last 20 (or more) years.
I still think not having very high draft picks for 20 years is a reasonable excuse.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:

He was a weakness leaving the body.

Blues Dude 9
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Blues Dude 9 »

I was at the 3/4/10 games @ Dallas.

It was apparently some kind of special day for Turco because he broke some Dallas record for starts or some crap like that. Shortly after that pre-game announcement, another was made that his parents and family were in the stands.

At this point I was worried that such a special night would result in a beatdown of the Blues.

Turco is still Turco though. The game ended 6-1. Turco let 4 through and was pulled. If Turco can't even give a team like the Blues a game, even though the night was so special for him, there isn't a team in the league that should take the risk of signing him.
Oklahoma City is too far from St.louis! :(