Someone is actually paying attention!!!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Someone is actually paying attention!!!

Post by DaDitka »

CLAIBORNE'S CRITIQUE

KTRS (550 AM) commentator Mike Claiborne came out with his microphone blazing Tuesday.

"I've lost total confidence in the leadership,'' of the team, he said, adding that Blues officials have done a poor job with free agency, drafting and trades.

"How about this whole youth movement we've heard about?" Claiborne asked. "The only thing the Blues are going to do is have another shot at being in the (draft) lottery. This is getting old."
MORE CAESAR
bullet E-Mail Dan Caesar
bullet More columns from Dan Caesar

He pointed particularly at Davidson, the club's president of hockey operations.

"I like John Davidson; he's a nice guy, he goes on everybody's radio show,'' Claiborne said. "He's a very forthright individual. I think everyone would say he's a good man, he's a good face for the organization. But here's the deal — that rhetoric has got to stop. This team isn't much better now than they were when (the current management group) first hit town. No real goal scorer, no leadership, no shut-down goaltender. ... It's the same things this team was lacking when the current regime took over.

"It's unfair to the loyal Blues fans who have found this team has no real direction. They've miscast players and coaches."

Claiborne wasn't done.

"We'll hear, 'Wait until next year,'""'' he said. "We'll hear, 'We're moving in the right direction.' I just don't see it. I just don't see a future, and I don't think I've ever thought I'd say that. But when you look at what's going on, you just see a rudderless ship. I'm out of answers, I'm frustrated, I'm kind of mad. ... I'm ready for results.

"There's a lot of guys in neckties trying to make decisions and none of them are getting it right.''

Miklasz, on his radio show, attributed much of the team's ability to escape significant criticism in the past to how it is covered.

"We've got too many people lined up to get autographs and not enough people actually doing reporting and digging into things and holding people accountable," he said, singling out those who criticized fans who disparaged defenseman Barret Jackman.

"Who the heck in the media is entitled to tell a paying customer whether they should (rip) someone or not?'' he asked. "That's the problem when you have cheerleaders covering the team other than actual reporters."

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Someone is actually paying attention!!!

Post by DaDitka »

Bernie got in on it too....

Bernie Miklasz, Post-Dispatch and STLtoday.com sports columnist as well as WXOS (101.1 FM) talk-show host, is one who has taken a hard look at the team in the past and has been particularly outspoken this week.

He wrote on his blog, "So now that it's official — Blues are out (of playoff contention) — can we move on, and have an adult conversation about this organization and what's next? Did Blues management overestimate the roster?

"Was Blues management too passive last summer? Did the Blues waste money on too many defensemen who make a lot of money for being mediocre players? Did the Blues oversell, and overestimate, their kids?''

He also said, "Other Western Conference teams got better this season, and the Blues didn't do much if anything to improve their team going into the season."

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

You and others are entitled to their opinion, but I think it's entirely too early to start criticizing management. If we don't see some sort of improvement after this offseason with signs of a better direction on getting this team over the hump, then sure. As of now, no.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I'm still not ready to jump ship.
This team isn't much better now than they were when (the current management group) first hit town.
Seriously?

If we start off like crap again next year I might be with you. But I still have hope for our kids and want to see Davis get a full years chance.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

TheoSqua wrote:You and others are entitled to their opinion, but I think it's entirely too early to start criticizing management. If we don't see some sort of improvement after this offseason with signs of a better direction on getting this team over the hump, then sure. As of now, no.

I think that is exactly what everyone is saying, the Honeymoon is over. It's make or brake time. IF we don't make the playoffs next year (not sneak in), then heads HAVE to roll.

This offseason the big moves were Conklin and Armstrong. That is all this organization did to aid a team that needed a historic second half to get into the playoffs, where we were promptly spanked.

I get that they expected more from the kids and they didn't believe that Jackman and Brewer were THAT bad. Well know you know and there is no excuse for not making major moves this offseason. You CAN NOT bring back Mason. You CAN NOT bring back both Jackman and Brewer. You CAN NOT expect to better your scoring from within the organization. You CAN NOT keep telling me we're building through the organization and then when the kids fail use the excuse that you had to rush them. If you don't have kids read (and you don't), go out and get established NHL talent.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

abc789987 wrote:I'm still not ready to jump ship.
This team isn't much better now than they were when (the current management group) first hit town.
Seriously?

If we start off like crap again next year I might be with you. But I still have hope for our kids and want to see Davis get a full years chance.

And you'll buy that excuse next year and the year after that.

I'll ask one very easy question....

Why do you believe in this organization developing talent?

Not to mention, are they are going to pick up their scoring and replace Walt's and Paulie's?

Would an honest Blues fan even take it as a given that Berglund deserves to be on up here next year?

What about goal tending?

Even if Juglund is good, is he going to be an important over Carlo?

The point is, even....even if all the kids hit next year...so what? You'll still not any better. Best case scenario, your just as good/bad as you were this year.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

It all comes down to whether you believe:

-All of our players (with the noted exception of Steen) had an off-year

or,

-None of our players are as good as we have been led to believe.

I don't blame management. Did you think re-building was going to take 2-3 years max?

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

gaijin wrote:It all comes down to whether you believe:

Oshie had a career year with 9 more points

McD had his highest goal and point total since he was with the Ducks

Perron set a career high in goals

Backes is only 8 points shy of last years career high and posted the second highest career total in goals. He jsut went insane last year.

Kariya has as many goals this season as he's had in is entire career in a Bluenote

Ej scored 10 goals as a defenseman!!!!!

Dude, you buy that media hype, I'll stick with the facts.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

DaDitka wrote:Why do you believe in this organization developing talent?
In the past we haven't had much talent to work with.

Last I checked our prospects were still ranked 1st in the NHL. If most of them bust then I'll question our youth upbringing.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

abc789987 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:Why do you believe in this organization developing talent?
In the past we haven't had much talent to work with.

Last I checked our prospects were still ranked 1st in the NHL. If most of them bust then I'll question our youth upbringing.

And I still buy lottery tickets.

But I don't count on it as my retirement plan.

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

Our young players are developing fine (with the exception of Bergland). What killed this team this year were the third period letdowns. Is it weak team defense or substandard goaltending that didn't keep us in these games all year long? I tend to lean toward the goaltending but how many 'elite' goaltenders who know how to play shut down hockey are out there for the Blues to aqcuire? Where is the next Brizgolof (sp) that can change the entire mindset of your team.

This team and it's management staff can't panic, drop anchor and start shredding the entire team because of a couple of defensement (Brewer & Jackman) and subpar Goaltending.

The only peg I can hang on the Management of the Blues is Brewer. For the past three years he has made bone-head play after bone-head play that has caused us to lose. They should have ditched him two years ago.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

DaDitka wrote:

Backes is only 8 points shy of last years career high and posted the second highest career total in goals. He jsut went insane last year.

Kariya has as many goals this season as he's had in is entire career in a Bluenote

Wait. So... the youth are improving every year?

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Record before this managament:
21-46-15
Average record since:
37-34-11

The average age of that team was 29.5, this team's is 26 (i added them up a bit differently than nhlnumbers, by them it's 27 and the 06 team would be over 30)

The players under 25 for that team: Dennis Wideman, Jay McClement, Barret Jackman, Lee Stempniak, and Kevin Dallman.

So the team has gotten younger, cheaper, and more talented, while increasing wins and significantly improving the depth of the farm system.

What I really like about this management is that they actually have a multi-year plan and are sticking to it, regardless of fluctuation or fan feedback. In years past they'd hit the panic button and make trades to win now, which only handicaps long-term growth. I'm willing to put up with a few inconsistent years in performance if the outcome is having a solid team that can stay competitive on an elite level, ala Detroit or Colorado, for years to come.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I won't go so far as to say they aren't any better, that would be clearly false.

I will say that they need significant changes to take the next step - and the players to do that aren't in our system.

It's exactly why I keep talking about trading youth and picks for a top line player.

In all honestly, the current Blues roster does not have a #1 scoring line for a top half NHL team - and their record this year shows that. I will say we have two quality #2 lines.

If you look at our games this year, there are a lot of close ones where that #1 line makes all the difference.

If we don't see some big moves this offseason, I will agree with the people saying management has too much koolaid.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Claiborne wrote:But here's the deal — that rhetoric has got to stop. This team isn't much better now than they were when (the current management group) first hit town. No real goal scorer, no leadership, no shut-down goaltender. ... It's the same things this team was lacking when the current regime took over.
This is just an asinine comment. I'll take it as Claiborne being emotional than having sound judgment.

There's zero comparison to when they took over (that is, signing anyone with an NHL resume willing to play here so that the Blues could field a team with the least resemblance to the AHL as possible) as compared to today.

Look- nobody's happy we didn't make the playoffs this year. But...

+ Look at the Blues' drafting history prior to 05-06 on hockeydb or something. It is utterly sickening. It is atrociously terrible. Any prospects the Blues got were flukes or acquired via trade. That went on for years and never worked for this team (trading picks for stars) and I have no inclination to believe a return to that will make it a wiser strategy.

+ I brought this up in another thread- we may not have one "dynamic" all star goal scorer, but okay- Oshie, Berglund, Boyes, Backes, Perron (and lately Steen). How many goals do you want? that's 6 names who can and should be putting in 20 to 30+ goals year in year out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see no difference in two Kovalchuk's vs. 6 of our guys in terms of goals.

- Our defense has never been figured out. It's been a constant shuffle. EJ is here to stay and is an anchor which is beautiful to see but Jackman and Brewer... they gotta go. They just have to.

- goaltending I'll agree with. This team has never had the same starter for more than like a season and a half for a decade+

I think we can all agree though- management has got to make some moves this summer. They can't do the "Conklin/Armstrong" thing again.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

gaijin wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

Wait. So... the youth are improving every year?

No doubt I totally agree, but that doesn't mean they will ever become front line (top three) players. I don't think any of us have those delusions and it's time for management to stop trying to sell it to us.

Oshie and Perron will be huge staples in this team becoming a real threat, but only if they are your sixth and seventh best players.

None the less, you suggested they underachieved I showed they exceeded and we fell short.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Miklasz, on his radio show, attributed much of the team's ability to escape significant criticism in the past to how it is covered.

"We've got too many people lined up to get autographs and not enough people actually doing reporting and digging into things and holding people accountable," he said, singling out those who criticized fans who disparaged defenseman Barret Jackman.

"Who the heck in the media is entitled to tell a paying customer whether they should (rip) someone or not?'' he asked. "That's the problem when you have cheerleaders covering the team other than actual reporters."
I have said this for years. The Blues never get criticism like they should. Miklasz is the only one that I see calling it like it is. While I don't fully agree with Claiborne, Bernie was spot on. How will a team feel the pressure to win if the media is constantly saying how great the team is and will be (see Strickland, Pang, JR)?
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

ProngerBlues44 wrote: While I don't fully agree with Claiborne, Bernie was spot on.
I jsut realized this, please don't think I agree with everything Claiborne said, I'm just glad some are finally question the organization. I don't think they have 'failed' , I just think it's time for results.

ProngerBlues44 wrote:(see Strickland, Pang, JR)?
I think he was mainly talking about JR and Kerbs, they are the ones who attack fans and talk down to them if they dare question Jackman and/or the rest of the organization.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

WaukeeBlues wrote:[quote="Claiborne
+ I brought this up in another thread- we may not have one "dynamic" all star goal scorer, but okay- Oshie, Berglund, Boyes, Backes, Perron (and lately Steen). How many goals do you want? that's 6 names who can and should be putting in 20 to 30+ goals year in year out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see no difference in two Kovalchuk's vs. 6 of our guys in terms of goals.
The difference is that two of our six wouldn't be in the line up... and that's 40 more goals with same six roster spots on the top two lines. It's not about the total each guy gets as much as the amount of production you get per roster spot.

If you build a team around the idea that you want two top lines that score, a line that shuts people down, and a line that beats the crap out of people, then you only expect production from six spots. The remaining guys chip in timely goals and it's bonus.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:[quote="Claiborne
The difference is that two of our six wouldn't be in the line up... and that's 40 more goals with same six roster spots on the top two lines. It's not about the total each guy gets as much as the amount of production you get per roster spot.

If you build a team around the idea that you want two top lines that score, a line that shuts people down, and a line that beats the crap out of people, then you only expect production from six spots. The remaining guys chip in timely goals and it's bonus.
I would like to see a team that has three lines that can score and one that shuts people down. One of the three lines can have a tough guy but a primary motivation on all lines should be to score. I expect production from three, and occasionally a gift from the fourth.

And I also expect to win the lottery.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.