Someone is actually paying attention!!!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Someone is actually paying attention!!!

Post by STLADOGG »

PATIENCE......... these things take time......spoiled brat writers go watch baseball babies i'll stay and watch a REAL game.......
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I like Claiborne. He's a passionate/knowledgeable guy and I know he enjoys Blues hockey, but he's way off base on his comments this time.

This team isn't any better than when management took over... What? Huh?

Ridiculous.
How can you not see the improvement from when Checkets first took over the team?

With a couple of shrewd signings, we're not only a playoff team next year, but we're a good playoff team.
But one of those signings needs to be a stopper goalie (Nabakov)...and the other needs to be a #1 line scoring forward (Kovalchuk). Piece of cake...make it happen. 8)
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

cprice12 wrote:With a couple of shrewd signings, we're not only a playoff team next year, but we're a good playoff team.
But one of those signings needs to be a stopper goalie (Nabakov)...and the other needs to be a #1 line scoring forward (Kovalchuk). Piece of cake...make it happen. 8)
That would be nice.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

The comments on this thread prove the writer's point: there is virtually zero real criticism of the current organization, and therefore it's a news story when someone finally finds some courage and says the obvious.

I would guess that you could go to a Detroit Lions website over the past five years and see the same comments: new GM, new coach, big names, high draft picks, still losing.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:The comments on this thread prove the writer's point: there is virtually zero real criticism of the current organization, and therefore it's a news story when someone finally finds some courage and says the obvious.

I would guess that you could go to a Detroit Lions website over the past five years and see the same comments: new GM, new coach, big names, high draft picks, still losing.
The difference is that the improvement is tangible, at least up until this season. How can you argue with a bottom NHL finish in 05-06, and then a playoff team last season? That's a 4 season turnaround from bottom of the barrel to in the playoffs. That's not an argument, that is a statement of fact.

This season has been awkward and shows that something additionally has to be done, which I expect to see this summer. But I'm not ready to flip out yet. That'll be next year if this same storyline replays itself. If it does, then I'll be on board. For the moment, I'm good.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by #1ELPBluzFan »

I'm very optimistic that we are finally moving into the place we need to be. Until we actually win the cup, we will NOT get the respect across the league.

Do we have a team skilled enought to BEAT Pittsburgh or Washington (yes, I actually said that)??

We are a couple of pieces short (i.e. a natural Goal Scorer or two and a playmaker) and we'll be in the hunt. A young team learns a LOT from being close -- but the ONLY thing that cures all ails is WINNING!

Let's Go Blues!!!

:cup:
Mark P

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Winning is always nice, especially at home. Payne, I think, is a welcome edition to this team. He got this team to win at home. Unless another head coach becomes available I foresee them signing him possibly to 2 year contract.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="The Flake"]Our young players are developing fine (with the exception of Bergland). What killed this team this year were the third period letdowns. [b]Is it weak team defense or substandard goaltending that didn't keep us in these games all year long?[/b] I tend to lean toward the goaltending but how many 'elite' goaltenders who know how to play shut down hockey are out there for the Blues to aqcuire? Where is the next Brizgolof (sp) that can change the entire mindset of your team.

This team and it's management staff can't panic, drop anchor and start shredding the entire team because of a couple of defensemen (Brewer & Jackman) and subpar Goaltending.

The only peg I can hang on the Management of the Blues is Brewer. For the past three years he has made bone-head play after bone-head play that has caused us to lose. They should have ditched him two years ago.[/quote]

The Blues' breakdowns in the 3rd period were partly caused by fatigue among the defencemen, partly caused by playing in too many penalty killing situations (highest in NHL), plus the fact that they didn't have the poise to keep control of the puck enough when the opponents ratcheted up their forecheck when the game was on the line, as well as weaker team defence (again-less puck control vs. a tough forecheck). Another problem was not having a super goal scorer, who can be counted on to create his own great chances (regardless of the quality of the opponents' defence, and not having a consistent game-stealing goalie, who is best when it is most important. The Blues' goaltending was adequate, and could win The Stanley Cup with a team that is VERY SOLID in forwards and defence (early 2000's Wings). Conklin is a fine backup, and Mason is an average NHL starter. He makes a lot of great saves, but lets in a lot of weak goals.

In my opinion, The Blues need to pick up a veteran 2-way puck-carrying defenceman, to add poise in their own zone, and help carry the puck into the neutral zone, and make outlet passes. Pietrangelo and Junland will help in those areas, and Johnson will improve. But those 2 rookies will not be enough. I agree that one of Brewer or Jackman should be moved. The forwards don't score enough. The Blues need to add a first-line, forward who can be counted on to score goals and create offence that wouldn't be there without him. They also need to upgrade their #1 goalie. Getting a second dependable scorer (aside from Eller being added) will probably be needed. I hope they can sign enough younger but dependable forward
help, so they won't NEED to re-sign Kariya just to fill out their scoring lines.

I want to see some unexpected surprises that involve younger players that add a lot more help than the addition of Kariya did.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Claibes is a moron. This is a playoff team in the East.

90 points isn't great, but it's damn good.

I don't think I've been as excited for the upcoming season since the offseason of 1990. Seriously. It's taken 20 freaking years to get this psyched again.

This team is on the UP.

Shut the fukk up, Claibes. Eat 50 more donuts and STFU.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

goon attack wrote:Claibes is a moron. This is a playoff team in the East.

I don't think I've been as excited for the upcoming season since the offseason of 1990. Seriously. It's taken 20 freaking years to get this psyched again.

This team is on the UP.

And thats the truth.....with some cheese on it....
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: With a couple of shrewd signings, we're not only a playoff team next year, but we're a good playoff team.
I totally agree, that's my point. It's time for JD and company to earn their paychecks. This team can be cultivated into a serious contender, but that will require some big moves in the offseason.

Can the bring in a legit goaltender?

Can the get legit scoring?

Can they cut ties with Jackman and/or Brewer?

What can they get EJ signed for?

What about Steen?

This will be a HUGE offseason.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

This team is on the UP.

This is 90 points in the era of easier OT wins and points for losers. This team would have 80ish points playing in the old system.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

kodos wrote:

This team is on the UP.

This is 90 points in the era of easier OT wins and points for losers. This team would have 80ish points playing in the old system.
True, but it also never used to require mid-90's points to get into the playoffs.

It's all relative. Point total might have been different, but tougher to argue their place in the standings would be.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

DaDitka wrote:
cprice12 wrote: With a couple of shrewd signings, we're not only a playoff team next year, but we're a good playoff team.
I totally agree, that's my point. It's time for JD and company to earn their paychecks. This team can be cultivated into a serious contender, but that will require some big moves in the offseason.

This will be a HUGE offseason.
I think this is the type of offseason that JD and Pleau (and now Armstrong) have been working towards the past 3-4 years. The first few years were just to get by, while cultivating draft picks. Those draft picks were then turned into young talent that was brought in to help the team/develop, while adding veteran or in-their-prime pieces (Steen/Cola, etc.) to compete. And while this wasn't a contender, they did compete. Too many people have complained that this team hasn't made the playoffs. But they've been competing, and with that comes growth on the roster and weeds out the ones that aren't going to be on the core once this team is geared up to make a run (See: Stempniak, Lee, etc.).

My point is, I haven't had a 'clock' on JD and company, but I think it starts this offseason. Now that they have some pieces in place (and this is a decent team, mind you), they can add, compliment, or even improve this team with one offseason. They've been cautious with who they have brought in, but I think they start going for it big time come July 1.

I typed all that, but I'm basically saying that I agree with you 100% DaDitka.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:I haven't had a 'clock' on JD and company, but I think it starts this offseason.
:plusplus: :plusplus:

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Claiborne is completely off regarding the progress of the team. Sure some of the young players took a step back this year. But the whole thing didn't collapse. We can attribute this to him being an idiot.

HOWEVER, Bernie is spot on. There's a fine line between having a professional working relationship with the sports figure you cover and flat out being this buddy. Too many fluff pieces across the board by everyone involved in print and new media covering this team. Strickland and JR can be critical a times, but too often they're singing the praises of the front office and not asking the tough questions. Pang doesn't count because he's an employee of the franchise, but the others need to step up their game.

That being said, I'm not disenfranchised with the front office by any means. I think they've got a plan and they're sticking to their guns. I'd like to see a couple of big FA signing this summer. But I'm not ready to have them blow the whole thing up. If we haven't gotten to a conference final in the next two or three years, then we'll talk...

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Brewer for Souray.

joosforjihad
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by joosforjihad »

Prngr44 wrote:Brewer for Souray.
I'd make that trade in a second, but would any team that actually managed to get rid of Brewer take him back?

Official sponsor of Andy McDonald's 401k

[joosforjihad] 8:05 pm: Will you spare my life when the robots take over?
[Dooger] 8:05 pm: I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Prngr44 wrote:Brewer for Souray.
OMG.. this makes a lot of sense. Make it happen DUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGG...