Now should we have traded Kariya, etc, at the trade deadline

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Now should we have traded Kariya, etc, at the trade deadline

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Since we didn't make the playoffs, should be have? Just imagine all the picks we could have had for Kariya...and now it's too late. He's not going to be on our team next year and we get nothing for him.

Hell, we could have traded Tkachuck, since he was going to retire anyway, we would have came out way ahead on that deal.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Now should we have traded Kariya, etc, at the trade deadline

Post by Winning Unlimited »

:cup:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

No trade clause that neither player would waive, as I understand. Nothing the organization could do.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Since we didn't make the playoffs, should be have? Just imagine all the picks we could have had for Kariya...and now it's too late. He's not going to be on our team next year and we get nothing for him.

Hell, we could have traded Tkachuck, since he was going to retire anyway, we would have came out way ahead on that deal.

Other then the fact that there wasn't a ton of interest in Paulie, and the fact that both he and Walt refused to wave their no-trade clauses......Yes I think we clearly screwed up by not trading them.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

I'm not sure that they were even approached to waive their clause due to lack of interest.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

stlbluz wrote:I'm not sure that they were even approached to waive their clause due to lack of interest.

I read a quib locally that stated the Paulie discussed it with the organization (not that there was an offer, but apparently a head of the fact), and during the trade deadline coverage on NHL Center Ice on Sirius they stated that the Blues were approached about Walt but that he declined.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gaijin wrote:No trade clause that neither player would waive, as I understand. Nothing the organization could do.
This.

How many times has this been reported and yet people still blame it on the front office. All of our major players had NTC....and all of them refused to waive. End of frankin' story.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Well, you can still blame it on the front office who signed them to these deals in the first place.

And I still would have kept Tkachuk. Kariya, gone to the highest bidder. A bag of used pucks AND a two-piece composite stick with a crack in the blade? SOLD.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

If they woulda drafted Joe Sakic instead of Keith Osbourne. If they wouldn't have signed Shanahan and Lost Stevens in the process. If they woulda bucked up and kept Joey Mullen. If Lar wouldn't have given Pronger away.

If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

fargoblues wrote:Well, you can still blame it on the front office who signed them to these deals in the first place.
Why is there always some sort of scapegoat in these situations? They thought it was in their best interests, in order to acquire the 'talent', that they offer the NTC to the 'stars'. If they hadn't done that, Kariya may not have signed with the Blues in the first place.

Yeah yeah, next argument is going to be "Oh, well they shoudn't have signed him." I didn't hear a whole lot of complaining when they signed him initially with his NTC. Yes, Kariya should have waived his NTC and I wish he had, but he didn't for some reason or another. I don't blame him after I put myself in his shoes though. The Blues would have had complete control over where he goes when it comes down to it. He hasn't been stellar by any means and his value is way down. Why would he want to get traded to Tampa Bay or some other lower tier team for a few months, then sign with a different team in July? I may be the minority here, but I personally wouldn't want to do that.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Fair enough. I'm just saying that those who want to blame the front office can still do so if they choose.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

fargoblues wrote:Fair enough. I'm just saying that those who want to blame the front office can still do so if they choose.
Sure they can, but they just need to be fair about it. So many people get impatient, half the Blues fan base has already given up on the 'kids' and it's only their second season. The thing with Kariya, I look at his signing two ways: failure on the ice, success at the gate. The day he signed, fan interest shot through the roof. An empty building started filling up with season ticket holders and the casual fan without any gimmick (free food night, jersey retirement nights), etc. That was the turning point. The franchise could have wallowed at the bottom of the conference for years, but they're slowly starting to climb back to contending for a playoff spot year in and year out. That's something that can't be argued.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
fargoblues wrote:Fair enough. I'm just saying that those who want to blame the front office can still do so if they choose.
Sure they can, but they just need to be fair about it. So many people get impatient, half the Blues fan base has already given up on the 'kids' and it's only their second season. The thing with Kariya, I look at his signing two ways: failure on the ice, success at the gate. The day he signed, fan interest shot through the roof. An empty building started filling up with season ticket holders and the casual fan without any gimmick (free food night, jersey retirement nights), etc. That was the turning point. The franchise could have wallowed at the bottom of the conference for years, but they're slowly starting to climb back to contending for a playoff spot year in and year out. That's something that can't be argued.
Agreed. I don't blame the front office for trying.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Yup. Unfortunately, Kariya didn't put out enough on the ice. :-)

Still glad he put fans in the seats though.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:
fargoblues wrote:Well, you can still blame it on the front office who signed them to these deals in the first place.
Why is there always some sort of scapegoat in these situations? They thought it was in their best interests, in order to acquire the 'talent', that they offer the NTC to the 'stars'. If they hadn't done that, Kariya may not have signed with the Blues in the first place.

Yeah yeah, next argument is going to be "Oh, well they shoudn't have signed him." I didn't hear a whole lot of complaining when they signed him initially with his NTC. Yes, Kariya should have waived his NTC and I wish he had, but he didn't for some reason or another. I don't blame him after I put myself in his shoes though. The Blues would have had complete control over where he goes when it comes down to it. He hasn't been stellar by any means and his value is way down. Why would he want to get traded to Tampa Bay or some other lower tier team for a few months, then sign with a different team in July? I may be the minority here, but I personally wouldn't want to do that.
Eric Brewer and Barret Jackman were given no-trade clauses as well. 'Nuff said.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote: Sure they can, but they just need to be fair about it. So many people get impatient, half the Blues fan base has already given up on the 'kids' and it's only their second season. .
It's Perron's third season and he had a career high in goals scored..he's a 20 goal a year guy, no one has given up on him. That's what he is.

I haven't heard anyone give up on Oshie, he's had a great year and exceeded last years numbers.

Berglund is still young yes, but he's given up on two coaches in 6 months. Hopefully he'll grow up, but I would call it 'fair' to expect too much from him going forward.

So if your suggesting that no one expects these three to become 40 goal scorers...your right.

If you do....your seriously mistaken and need to put the Kool-Aid down.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

DaDitka wrote:Berglund is still young yes, but he's given up on two coaches in 6 months.
Almost enough to drive a guy to drink, over sleep, miss prac . . .
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

DaDitka wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote: Sure they can, but they just need to be fair about it. So many people get impatient, half the Blues fan base has already given up on the 'kids' and it's only their second season. .
It's Perron's third season and he had a career high in goals scored..he's a 20 goal a year guy, no one has given up on him. That's what he is.

I haven't heard anyone give up on Oshie, he's had a great year and exceeded last years numbers.

Berglund is still young yes, but he's given up on two coaches in 6 months. Hopefully he'll grow up, but I would call it 'fair' to expect too much from him going forward.

So if your suggesting that no one expects these three to become 40 goal scorers...your right.

If you do....your seriously mistaken and need to put the Kool-Aid down.
Not saying that at all about three 40 goal scorers. What I'm saying is that there is a contingent of fans out there who thought they were and have blamed management saying that these kids aren't all that great. Myself? I'm happy with them except for Berglund. Dude's gotta show some improvement. But Oshie and Perron have shown that they will be serviceable players in this league for a long time. The problem I'm pointing out is that there are some delusional Blues fans out there who see the success Chicago has had with Kane, Toews, etc. and expect our kids to be replicas of those guys, when clearly that's not going to happen.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote:. But Oshie and Perron have shown that they will be serviceable players in this league for a long time. The problem I'm pointing out is that there are some delusional Blues fans out there who see the success Chicago has had with Kane, Toews, etc. and expect our kids to be replicas of those guys, when clearly that's not going to happen.

That is very well said, they will be serviceable and have developed well, but they are not top line prospects and we will need to add some upper echelon talents along with them if we ever plan to truly compete.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Can we just make it so this dude can't make threads anymore? Seriously, the quality is REALLY lacking.