Tkachuk Officially Announces Retirement

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Tkachuk Officially Announces Retirement

Post by kodos »

No thread yet?

This place is really dead. Wow.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Tkachuk Officially Announces Retirement

Post by Portland Blues »

I posted it the GDT but no one is probably watching/reading this train wreck tonight.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Its about time, its too bad he'll be playing Friday night. I guess we can't call up that youngster to get some playing time, so were forced to play the old man.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

NHL.com wrote:St. Louis Blues forward Keith Tkachuk announced Wednesday that he will retire at the end of 2009-10 after 19 seasons in the National Hockey League

Tkachuk will play in front of Blues fans for the final time this Friday night against Anaheim, and the club will pay tribute to Tkachuk's career following the game. He is sitting out Wednesday's game with a lower-body injury.

"I have been privileged to have a long career in this terrific league and play for first-class organizations," Tkachuk said in a statement. "My thanks go out to my current and former teammates, the St. Louis Blues, Phoenix Coyotes/Winnipeg Jets and Atlanta Thrashers organizations and most of all to my parents, my wife Chantal, my kids Matthew, Braeden and Taryn, along with all of my other family members for all of the support they have given me throughout my career."

"Walt (Tkachuk's nickname) has been an amazing ambassador for the St. Louis Blues," Blues Chairman Dave Checketts said. "I had a very nice talk with him today and conveyed what an honor it has been to have him in the organization. I thanked him for the effort he put in on and off the ice each and every day he has been a Blue. He will always be a cherished member of the St. Louis Blues family, and I look forward to celebrating his career in the appropriate fashion, bestowing upon him the honors he most certainly deserves."

Tkachuk has played 540 games with the Blues, scoring 209 goals and adding 216 assists for 425 points and 676 penalty minutes. On Nov. 30, 2008, Tkachuk became the 72nd NHL player and seventh U.S.-born player to reach 1,000 points. In doing so, joined Bernie Federko, Al MacInnis and Pierre Turgeon as the only players to reach that milestone while playing for the Blues.

"Keith is a true warrior who had an excellent career and I was hoping this day would never come," Blues President of Hockey Operations John Davidson said. "The NHL is losing an individual who gave a lot of time and dedication to the game and I wish him and his family a happy retirement and the best of luck."

Tkachuk, 38, has played in 1,200 regular-season games, scoring 538 goals and adding 525 assists for 1,063 points to go along with 2,219 penalty minutes. He has also played in 89 playoff games, scoring 28 goals and adding 28 assists for 56 points along with 176 penalty minutes.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pounder has achieved a few milestones as a Blue, including his 500th game with the team on Nov. 30, 2009 and his 1,200th NHL game on April 5, 2010. In addition, on Jan. 30, 2010, Tkachuk served his 2,200th career penalty minute -- becoming just the fourth player in NHL history to collect 2,200 penalty minutes and more than 1,000 points in their career
In St. Louis franchise history, Tkachuk ranks seventh in game-winning goals (29), sixth in points (425), fifth in goals (209) and fourth in power-play goals (96).
Hell of a career.

Gonna miss him. We all knew it was coming but I grew up with this player and he showed me how to be a better power forward.

Good luck in everything Walt. 6th All-Time Blues point list. Not bad.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

WaukeeBlues wrote: 6th All-Time Blues point list. Not bad.
To be honest, he never did it with 100 points in a year and did it in just what-- nine seasons? That is not bad at all. It shows consistency throughout his career here; no big season yet no awful season (with the exception of this year).
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

You must be retired for three years to be considered for the Hall of Fame. He has one game left, so these numbers are unofficial.

Keith Tkachuk (1,134 GP, 525 G, 508 A, 1033 PTS)

Is Keith Tkachuk a hall-of-famer? I don't think he's done enough. Here are some comparable players not in the hall of fame. (the 2010 class was hull, yzerman, robitaille, and leetch.

Doug Gilmour* (1474 GP, 450 G, 964 A, 1414 PTS)
Pavel Bure (702 GP, 437 G, 342 A, 779 PTS)
Dino Ciccarelli (1232 GP, 608 G, 592 A, 1200 PTS)
Phil Housley (1495 GP, 338 G, 894 A, 1232 PTS)

* = Gilmour is the only one of these to win a Cup. (89, Flames)

Here are a few others not in the Hall of Fame yet. Many of these players have won cups, and aren't in. What has Tkachuk done, that these players haven't, that is worthy of admission? He only made it to the third round of the playoffs once.

Dave Andreychuk
Brian Bellows
Vincent Damphousse
Theoren Fleury
Dale Hunter
Steve Larmer
Alexander Mogilny
Kirk Muller
Joe Nieuwendyk
Adam Oates
Brian Propp
Pierre Turgeon
Pat Verbeek

Not to mention, he could be in a class with Recchi, Roenick, Peca, Selanne, and Niedermeyer.. to name a few.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

You must be retired for three years to be considered for the Hall of Fame. He has one game left, so these numbers are unofficial.

Keith Tkachuk (1,134 GP, 525 G, 508 A, 1033 PTS)

Is Keith Tkachuk a hall-of-famer? I don't think he's done enough. Here are some comparable players not in the hall of fame. (the 2010 class was hull, yzerman, robitaille, and leetch.

Here are a few others not in the Hall of Fame yet. Many of these players have won cups, and aren't in. What has Tkachuk done, that these players haven't, that is worthy of admission? He only made it to the third round of the playoffs once.

Dave Andreychuk
Brian Bellows
Vincent Damphousse
Theoren Fleury
Dale Hunter
Steve Larmer
Alexander Mogilny
Kirk Muller
Joe Nieuwendyk
Adam Oates
Brian Propp
Pierre Turgeon
Pat Verbeek

Not to mention, he could be in a class with Recchi, Roenick, Peca, Selanne, and Niedermeyer.. to name a few.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

If he was a chick I'd say, "Thanks for the mammories."
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

He did a lot for our organization. Hall of Fame worthy? Absolutely. Did he have a huge impact on the Blues? Absolutely. He never won the cup, but is that what determines a Hall of Fame player?

Everyone knows Keith Tkachuk. Scored a lot of goals and did a lot for the teams he played for. Played for Winnipeg, Phoenix, and STL (Atlanta doesn't count)...

Hall of Fame worthy, definitely.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

philco_3 wrote:Its about time, its too bad he'll be playing Friday night. I guess we can't call up that youngster to get some playing time, so were forced to play the old man.
Christ, it's the guy's last home game. He deserves to play and play a lot. Besides, Peoria is in a playoff hunt, why would they be called up? That cheats them out of an opportunity for the postseason.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

dmiles2186 wrote:Christ, it's the guy's last home game. He deserves to play and play a lot.
:plusplus: :plusplus: :plusplus:

Last time I checked the Blues were out of the playoffs, so it doesn't really matter that he plays even if he's not having a career year. Don't play this "he shouldn't play in favor of the younger guys" crap. It's his last game and there will be no more development in terms of the youth of our team this season.... they only had since October to build that youth... which they did minimally

Give him one more game with the Blues and let him do what he wants.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:Give him one more game with the Blues and let him do what he wants.
Fine, but I hope he scores another goal with his mouth. :P
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

philco_3 wrote:
TSUCookieMonster wrote:Give him one more game with the Blues and let him do what he wants.
Fine, but I hope he scores another goal with his mouth. :P
I'm not even sure what this means, but I agree. :-)

ReelBluesFan887
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by ReelBluesFan887 »

Sucks to lose Walt as a player but hopefully we gain someone working in the organization, like Chopper. Walt is definitely Hall of Fame worthy and IMHO they should retire number 7 for him, but i probably am alone in that notion. As others have said, he did a lot for this organization and is a true hockey player. I just wish he would have been named captain sense every time the team talks about veteran leadership the mention Tkachuk.
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of Roman Polak

ilhockeyguy
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by ilhockeyguy »

Walt is HOF worthy, no doubt. Even with the fact he never won a cup and doesn't have "the" numbers, he is a name in US hockey, and a name in the NHL.
I blame Oshie for advancing Walt's retirement...but then again...I absolutely hate Oshie.

Blues played a game tonight that shows what they are capable of doing.....I'm excited for the future.

And Phil....seriously.....give the man his due. He's scored more goals off his teeth than either of us have.....stop being a douche....he deserves a curtain call at home....for a team that he gave a lot to....if you don't like that....you're not really a Blues FAN

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Tied for first overall in team history for cups won while with the team.

Can we maybe try to get some guys in here who will actually get the job done sometime within the next 100 years?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

rbochan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rbochan »

One of the last few remaining Jets.

:(
...Rob
The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

ReelBluesFan887 wrote: IMHO they should retire number 7 for him, but i probably am alone in that notion.
You are. :okman:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Yeah... no way they retire his number. They might do one of those unofficial soft retirements where they tell guys not to use it for a few years, but that would be all.

I think he has a 50/50 shot at getting into the hall... but that list of guys who aren't in is pretty damning.

That said, the dude is retiring in his late 30s as a millionaire. I won't be feeling sorry for him.
Last edited by kodos on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

OPTIMEGUS wrote:

Dave Andreychuk
Brian Bellows
Vincent Damphousse
Theoren Fleury
Dale Hunter
Steve Larmer
Alexander Mogilny
Kirk Muller
Joe Nieuwendyk
Adam Oates
Brian Propp
Pierre Turgeon
Pat Verbeek

Guys in bold should be in...I think I'd have to give the nod to Tkachuk, too.