Latest Strickland

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Latest Strickland

Post by stlbluz »

We can complain all we want about the Blues defense but last time I checked the club has one of the top PK units in the league and is around 11th in the league in goals against.

Why do Blues wingers struggle so much along the wall inside their own end? This needs to be corrected as it’s a big reason they often have trouble escaping their own zone.

Re-signing Paul Kariya would be foolish in my opinion. He’s had a real strong second half and is showing the explosiveness that once made him an NHL superstar. With all this said bringing Kariya back would take ice time away from guys who are ready for an increased role and more responsibility. Let’s keep it real here for a second and understand there is a connection between his recent play and playing alongside T.J. Oshie who elevates the play of those around him. As good as Kariya has been he should be fighting to get to 30 goals, not 20 when you consider how many point blank opportunities he’s failed to capitalize on. You can make the argument Kariya owes the Blues another year after failing to live up to the 3 yr $18 million deal he signed a few years back but I can’t see anyway this would make sense. There has been some internal talk about what if he would be willing to play for a reduced price but let’s move on from this experiment. I don’t care if he’s willing to play for $100,000, re-signing Paul Kariya is not in the best interest of the St. Louis Blues moving forward. I like Paul an awful lot and respect his career but it’s time to move on.

Kariya has quietly donated close to half of his money to a number of various charities.

Speaking of Kariya he recently told me he still hasn’t even decided if he wants to continue his NHL career beyond this season. Could he retire? I would be shocked if he does but he told me he will evaluate things after the season. There’s no question he can still help a team.

Look for the Blues to attempt to re-shape the look of this roster. A number of questions are being asked internally right now.

Can Lars Eller step in next year and make a David Perron expendable? Can you get some real value for a Patrik Berglund? I’m not prepared to trade David Perron by the way.

It all depends on what you can get for these players. They won’t be moved just for the sake of moving them.

Look for St. Louis to try and move either Eric Brewer or Barret Jackman. It all comes down to who you can get more return value for. Is there a team out there willing to give up something good for Eric Brewer? The outlook seems rather bleak right now.

Speaking of Brewer, after scoring his seventh goal of the year the other night he’s just one shy of tying his career high of eight. He’s a second pair D-man who often plays a #1 or #2 role for this club. Brewer doesn’t play the power play, nor should he, but he’s among the league leaders for D-men in goals per game at .13. Seven goals in 53 games is a good offensive season especially for a guy coming off of two back surgeries. I would never compare this guy to Chris Pronger but his goal per game average is the same as the former Norris and Hart trophy winner.

I think it’s great the Blues are stocked when it comes to prospects in the system but at some point fans must come to the realization that the Blues can’t keep all of these kids. Doug Armstrong is assigned the important task of determining which players to move forward with and which ones to trade in an effort to help the current NHL roster.

The Blues need a dangerous offensive player. This is something they’re lacking on the current roster and there isn’t an elite goal scorer waiting in the wings currently in the organization. I see plenty of D-men but not a whole lot of scoring potential. This is something that needs to be addressed in the upcoming draft.

I’ve always been a huge supporter of Alex Steen and it’s nice to see him start to get the recognition he deserves. He’ll be looking at a nice payday this summer as he’ll be looking at an extension close to that $3 million number.

It is a major concern though that Alex Steen is the Blues leading goal scorer. How nice would it have been if this guy had his 20 plus snipes and a few others had performed to their abilities as well?

I’ve asked on numerous occasions this season why the Blues changed their power play setup from what we saw last season? In my opinion this is a big reason why Brad Boyes won’t even reach 20 goals. I’ll say it again though, this guy will bounce back and score 30 in this league.

Congratulations to five St. Louis kids who will be competing in the NCAA Frozen Four this weekend. Three of the four teams have a player from St. Louis on their roster.

Wisconsin-John Ramage, Michael Davies, Sean Dolan. (Andy Murray’s son Jordy also plays for Wisconsin)

RIT-Chris Saracino

Miami of Ohio-Chris Wideman.

I’ve heard multiple people in the Blues organization compliment Rick Wamsley for the job he’s done since taking over in Peoria.

Congrats to Portland Winterhawks D-man Brett Ponich on signing with the Blues. At 18 years old the former 2nd rounder is already the Captain for Portland who has more kids rated in Central Scouting’s top 100 than any other team in the CHL. Ponich will return to Portland next season but will play in the NHL one day.

Doug Armstrong and Davis Payne have spent some quality time both in St. Louis and on the road in recent weeks getting to know one another.

There is a lot of transitioning taking place inside the Blues organization as the club prepares for Armstrong to take over for Larry Pleau.

Expect Pleau to remain with the Blues for at least another year.
LINK

I would have put this in the kariya thread but it covered more than that. I'm not sure how to take the line I put in bold though, he's either a nice guy or his conscience is eating at him.

Perron or Berglund expendable? I don't know enough about Eller to know if he's capable of replacing David. I think a lot rests of what kind of salary he wants.

I like the idea of moving either defensemen, especially with a prospect or pick to get something decent in return.

Steen could get 3mil+ on the market IMHO. Wouldn't mind locking him up for a few years at that rate.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Latest Strickland

Post by sseagle »

People often give away their possessions before they kill themselves.
Asians (such as Koreans) think suicide is more honorable then failure.

1+2=?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think it's almost well established that I'm probably the only one who wants them to sack all the vets and bring up as many kids as possible for next season.

I believe that the reason I may be the only one who wants this is because I have no money invested in season tickets, or tickets at all really, and it wouldn't upset me (financially) to see a team composed mainly of recent picks and young acquisitions (plus Kovy).

I'd be down with a defense that consists of Johnson, Pietrangelo, Cole, Junland (unless he moves to forward), Polak, Cola, Weaver and ONE veteran (Jackman or Brewer, not both). If nothing else, Johnson, Polak, Cola and Weaver represent a "veteran" presence of sorts to help guide along Pie, Cole and Junland, and Johnson will someday soon be capable of making Jackman or Brewer look good.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Oh Andy...
Congrats to Portland Winterhawks D-man Brett Ponich on signing with the Blues. At 18 years old the former 2nd rounder is already the Captain for Portland who has more kids rated in Central Scouting’s top 100 than any other team in the CHL. Ponich will return to Portland next season but will play in the NHL one day.
Let's hope Ponich doesn't play in the CHL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Jeffro
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Jeffro »

northwest dave wrote:Oh Andy...
CHL = OHL, WHL and QMJHL.
Official LGB Sponsor of Jeff Woywitka

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Jeffro wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Oh Andy...
CHL = OHL, WHL and QMJHL.
:oops: My past history of living in the god awful town of Memphis watching the RiverKings haunts me (CHL = Central Hockey League).

:facepalm:

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

glen a richter wrote:I think it's almost well established that I'm probably the only one who wants them to sack all the vets and bring up as many kids as possible for next season.

I believe that the reason I may be the only one who wants this is because I have no money invested in season tickets, or tickets at all really, and it wouldn't upset me (financially) to see a team composed mainly of recent picks and young acquisitions (plus Kovy).

I'd be down with a defense that consists of Johnson, Pietrangelo, Cole, Junland (unless he moves to forward), Polak, Cola, Weaver and ONE veteran (Jackman or Brewer, not both). If nothing else, Johnson, Polak, Cola and Weaver represent a "veteran" presence of sorts to help guide along Pie, Cole and Junland, and Johnson will someday soon be capable of making Jackman or Brewer look good.
:plusplus: and :plusplus:

I have said this for months. I am so sick of hearing about "leadership" and its importance to this team. How does one gain leadership as a young man when only one young gun is allowed on the big team's defense at a time? Johnson is up and going, now bring up Junland, Cole and Petro. Trade or buy out Brewer or Jackman and move on from the failed experiment that was our "top-two defensemen."

Having said that though, Jackman has played well in front of his net lately and I have been saying for years that Brewer just needs to shoot more. He's got a hard shot but he is too busy worrying about which opposing player to give the puck to.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I'm all for bringing up kids, but it's not going to happen because Perioa is trying to make a run for the playoffs.

Pie will probably be given a good chance to make the team next year because the need him to help sell the fact that we are up and coming with tons of prospects. Of course he's never shown anything to suggest he's close to ready to play at this level and he'd clearly be much better served to spend at least one season in Perioa and the same can be said for Cole.

Basically, if Pie and Cole play regularly up here next year, we'll have another "How many points out are we' thread next march.

These kids are the top two (many will argue the only two..sans Allen) prospects you have in your organization, neither is anywhere close to being ready to play at this level. Why retard their growth? Unload Brewer or Jackman, bring up Stratch and find another Weaver type guy. Then if either kid proves ready down in Perioa during the season, brig him then.

The problem is going to be scoring. And there is no help coming through the system to help this. You're going to have to use free agency and trades to aquire that.

As for who would bring you more in a trade between Jackman or Brewer, the answer is you couldn't trade either one of them for anything right now with their contracts. You'll have to either package Jacks with a pick or more likely, eat 2 mill of Brewer's contrat and then deal him with the nes team only having to pay 2.5.

This team would be much better served however to unload Jackman. It doesn't matter which one you think is better (Jackman or Brewer), neither is worth the money they are making and the fact that Jackman has two years left means trading him would be more adventurous.

The biggest thing I watching is what's going to happen in the pipes.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

I'm for bringing up the kids as well. This seasons free agent pool is thin compared to the following season so let them get some experience next season, let our existing players polish their game, and then fill in the gaps after next season when there are more/better options.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

DaDitka wrote:Basically, if Pie and Cole play regularly up here next year, we'll have another "How many points out are we' thread next march.
This doesn't bother me. I would be a happier person if we didn't make the playoffs rather than watching some of these hacks on our roster lose it for us every night (Winchester, Crombeen, Kariya, Brewer, etc.)

I think young kids would want to prove something and they would play their arses off every night; something we don't see every night from this crew. If we lose 4-1 but skate well and play hard I am happier than if we go into the third with a 3-1 lead and squander it due to lack of effort.

Wulfen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfen »

I am for a young team too, however we will be at this same point in the season next year being about 6 to 10 points out of the playoffs and everyone will complain about a lack of veteran players. Truth is next year will be another up and down year for our young group. People will be all over ownership because next year if year 5 of the 5 year rebuild. However none of the young guys have blossomed into a superstar like management was hoping for. Baring another catastrophic injury EJ will get to play his 2nd consecutive season and I can see him netting 15 goals and with our lack of offense challenging for the team lead in points. We are starting to see what he can be. So lets resign EJ, Perron and Steen, have another sub par year next season, resign Oshie, make a decision of Berglund, Sign us a big gun young superstar and take off from there. Find it a little off the Strickland didnt mention anything in regards to the future of goaltending because as of this offseason that situation is in flux

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:Basically, if Pie and Cole play regularly up here next year, we'll have another "How many points out are we' thread next march.
This doesn't bother me. I would be a happier person if we didn't make the playoffs rather than watching some of these hacks on our roster lose it for us every night (Winchester, Crombeen, Kariya, Brewer, etc.)

I think young kids would want to prove something and they would play their arses off every night; something we don't see every night from this crew. If we lose 4-1 but skate well and play hard I am happier than if we go into the third with a 3-1 lead and squander it due to lack of effort.

I generally totally agree with you, the problem is we don't have any prospects (even on the current roster) that will be premier goal scorers. At some point you'll have to go outside the organization to add goal scoring.

Perron, Oshie, Berglund, all are 20 -25 goals a year guys if everything goes great. That's simply not going to happen for all of them in the same years. Backes will never touch the 30 goal mark again. Eller doesn't project to be any better (probably not even as good) as any of the first three mentioned.

I'm all for building over time and through the organization for sustain success, but we simply don't have the bullets offensively. Even the biggest organizational apologists admit that.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

When making a trade, you cannot eat salary under the new CBA.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

SIU LAW wrote:When making a trade, you cannot eat salary under the new CBA.

You can't eat the cap hit, but I thought you could send cash considerations.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

DaDitka wrote:At some point you'll have to go outside the organization to add goal scoring.
I agree with that too. I think that Oshie-Perron-Bergs are good players, but they should not be your #1, 2, 3 guys. We need to add someone that makes everyone on the rink better when he is out there.

I am all for Hayley Wickenheiser. :okman:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

As I might have mentioned in flashchat last night, I'd be down with a trade with the Oilers (and I'm sure they'd make such a trade) to get up to the #1 pick, then take Hall. Couple in getting rid of some major salaries off the books, and you can offer Kovy a contract that's top-loaded with money. Give him an opt-out after 4 years. In the meantime, call up anyone and everyone that's even remotely close to NHL caliber, even if they're not quite there yet. There's enough guys on this team that are not "rookies" in the truest sense of the word anymore. I trust Backes, Johnson, Oshie, Perron to mentor the new wave of kids. Meanwhile, Kovy keeps it just exciting enough, Hall can step right in, and yes they will probably miss the playoffs next season, but will most definitely NOT miss the playoffs the year after.

If this means getting Jake Allen, Ben Bishop, or even that Schneider kid via trade, into the #1 goalie role from October, then so be it.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

glen a richter wrote:As I might have mentioned in flashchat last night, I'd be down with a trade with the Oilers (and I'm sure they'd make such a trade) to get up to the #1 pick, then take Hall. Couple in getting rid of some major salaries off the books, and you can offer Kovy a contract that's top-loaded with money. Give him an opt-out after 4 years. In the meantime, call up anyone and everyone that's even remotely close to NHL caliber, even if they're not quite there yet. There's enough guys on this team that are not "rookies" in the truest sense of the word anymore. I trust Backes, Johnson, Oshie, Perron to mentor the new wave of kids. Meanwhile, Kovy keeps it just exciting enough, Hall can step right in, and yes they will probably miss the playoffs next season, but will most definitely NOT miss the playoffs the year after.

If this means getting Jake Allen, Ben Bishop, or even that Schneider kid via trade, into the #1 goalie role from October, then so be it.
I still dont' think Kovy belongs in St. Louis, but you are right about the leadership. How are the young guns supposed to step into leadership roles unless given the chance before their 30th birthdays?

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

blueline
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by blueline »

Lars is certainly ready to crack the line up. He does need to get his penalties under control. Ian Cole may need a partial season here in Peoria. I don't see him staying here to long if the Blues shake up the Defense. IMO I would cut ties with Junland and use him in a trade package. Great offense. Just to darn slow and often relies on the wings to back check. Bishop is playing better. But he still has a long way to go before he is a NHL regular.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

blueline wrote:Lars is certainly ready to crack the line up. He does need to get his penalties under control. Ian Cole may need a partial season here in Peoria. I don't see him staying here to long if the Blues shake up the Defense. IMO I would cut ties with Junland and use him in a trade package. Great offense. Just to darn slow and often relies on the wings to back check. Bishop is playing better. But he still has a long way to go before he is a NHL regular.
Bishop and Boyes must be on the same team, otherwise scandals will ensue.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

blueline wrote:Lars is certainly ready to crack the line up.
Perhaps, but as a replacement for Crombeen or Winchester and he'll contribute 8 to 10 goals. Hell, best case scenario he nets about 14 or 15 and makes up for what we're loosing in Walt's goal production. That's what everyone is missing, there are no forwards in the organization that project as a top six forward. Sure we've got defense out the ass, but nothing in the way or forwards.

That's why I really thing they should look into making Pie a forward. He can't play defense anyways, and you can still play him on the point on the power play like Steen. He's ready to play at this level offensively, but he got benched against 17 year old kids this year, so that that for what it is.

Sure it probably mans he's not up here next year, but if they do try and skate him up here next year as a defensmen, it will be an epic failure....unless Brewer and Jackman are still on the roster, then he won't look too bad compared to them.