Winter Classic '11

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Winter Classic '11

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Rumors are flying about Pittsburgh hosting the Capitals next season.... http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=315816 ....yay.

With that said, who should really play in the Winter Classic next season? Should there even be one?

Honestly, I'd rather see Tampa Bay play Florida in Winnipeg than ANOTHER Pittsburgh/Washington game..

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Winter Classic '11

Post by philco_3 »

Agreed. Pittsburgh already had their winter classic. The next one needs to in Minnesota or Colorado, hell even maybe a New York vs New York game. But no freaking way in hell should there be one for Pittsburgh or Washington, I'm already sick of the all the hype these teams have.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

I would be absolutely shocked if MSP isn't pitching the availability of Target Field (brand new Twins stadium) for a Winter Classic. Although the Wild aren't exactly a showcase team, there is no doubt they would sell the thing out literally 20 times over (Target Field holds about 48k) and play a buttload of high school / college hockey there as well.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I too second the Colorado/Minnesota suggestion. Play it out west next year. The problem is that the NHL seems to have a preference for the "older" teams with a bit more tradition than say Minny or Colorado. Any Winter Classic will sell out anywhere, I'm happy it's so popular, it's good for the sport.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Wulfen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfen »

The first 3 years they have rotated east, west, east so if that keeps up I would think it would be a western conference game this year. A Stars vs. Wild game at Target Field would be interesting. Or a outdoor battle of Alberta. I also heard rumors awhile back about the NHL trying for 2 outdoor games. However I think that would lessen the specialness of the event.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Wulfen wrote:The first 3 years they have rotated east, west, east so if that keeps up I would think it would be a western conference game this year. A Stars vs. Wild game at Target Field would be interesting. Or a outdoor battle of Alberta. I also heard rumors awhile back about the NHL trying for 2 outdoor games. However I think that would lessen the specialness of the event.
I heard that about 2 outdoor games, as well. But what I think the NHL had thought about was one in the US and one in Canada. If that's the case, I don't see a problem with it. In fact, the NHL has completely taken over New Year's Day from college football. A double header on that day would give exposure to two more teams and also display the amazing intensity of a Canadian city's crowd.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Wulfen wrote:The first 3 years they have rotated east, west, east so if that keeps up I would think it would be a western conference game this year. A Stars vs. Wild game at Target Field would be interesting. Or a outdoor battle of Alberta. I also heard rumors awhile back about the NHL trying for 2 outdoor games. However I think that would lessen the specialness of the event.
I heard that about 2 outdoor games, as well. But what I think the NHL had thought about was one in the US and one in Canada. If that's the case, I don't see a problem with it. In fact, the NHL has completely taken over New Year's Day from college football. A double header on that day would give exposure to two more teams and also display the amazing intensity of a Canadian city's crowd.
I don't know if they've taken over New Year's from college football just yet. There's still an ass ton of people who would rather watch college sports than pro hockey.

I do like the idea of a Winter Classic doubleheader, though. Once game east, one game west so both are in full daylight.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Pittsburgh hosting the Capitals. Thanks buttman. :evil:
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

WaukeeBlues wrote:I too second the Colorado/Minnesota suggestion. Play it out west next year. The problem is that the NHL seems to have a preference for the "older" teams with a bit more tradition than say Minny or Colorado. Any Winter Classic will sell out anywhere, I'm happy it's so popular, it's good for the sport.
Colorado and Minnesota would be okay, but they wouldn't draw the bandwagon fans that Pittsburgh/Washington would, and it's all about getting the most money to justify the Phoenix disaster that has been the past 10 years...

How about some Pro Beach Hockey San Jose v. Anaheim? :twisted:

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

gaijin wrote:I do like the idea of a Winter Classic doubleheader, though. Once game east, one game west so both are in full daylight.
I would disagree, I think it cheapens it by having multiple games.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Wulfen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfen »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: How about some Pro Beach Hockey San Jose v. Anaheim? :twisted:
Banked corners and 2 point shots!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Washington v. Ottawa, battle of the Capitals

or just make the all star game the winter classic
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

glen a richter wrote:Washington v. Ottawa, battle of the Capitals

frank no.

It's pretty kick ass when it means something, don't you think?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Not a bad idea, but I don't know if the concept would stick because so few Americans actually know that Ottawa is the capital city of Canada...

What about the Flames v. Canucks? I would say Calgary to host since Vancouver just had the Olympics in their stadium...

Going w/the original six idea, Rangers v. Maple Leafs would draw huge numbers, even with the Maple Leafs current streak of bad teams...

Minnesota v. Colorado or Dallas- Dallas definitely no since Modano is the last player from Minnesota and he might be done after this year, plus Dallas doesn't scream hockey like other cities do. Colorado might work, but I still don't see it drawing as many fans as Toronto v. NYR... but I'll admit, an outdoor game in the mile-high city would be cool...

I really just wish they could have had this about 10-12 years ago and had Detroit at Colorado during their rivalry, THAT would have been awesome...

But I'd be happy with Rangers v. Leafs, even though they both suck. It would draw the TV ratings that the NHL needs.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Not a bad idea, but I don't know if the concept would stick because so few Americans actually know that Ottawa is the capital city of Canada...

What about the Flames v. Canucks? I would say Calgary to host since Vancouver just had the Olympics in their stadium...

Going w/the original six idea, Rangers v. Maple Leafs would draw huge numbers, even with the Maple Leafs current streak of bad teams...

Minnesota v. Colorado or Dallas- Dallas definitely no since Modano is the last player from Minnesota and he might be done after this year, plus Dallas doesn't scream hockey like other cities do. Colorado might work, but I still don't see it drawing as many fans as Toronto v. NYR... but I'll admit, an outdoor game in the mile-high city would be cool...

I really just wish they could have had this about 10-12 years ago and had Detroit at Colorado during their rivalry, THAT would have been awesome...

But I'd be happy with Rangers v. Leafs, even though they both suck. It would draw the TV ratings that the NHL needs.