Kariya, Paul

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Kariya, Paul

Post by JPonder94 »

richtedm wrote:I would also criticize them for passing on Paul Stastny, that one is gonna hurt as long as Paul is in the league.
FYI, we also missed on Jon Quick. He was drafted in the second round by the Kings. :cussing:

Just goes to show talent can come out of nowhere.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It is distinctly possible that the worst thing that could happen to an organization would be to make the playoffs every year but have nothing to show for it. Maybe missing once or twice and drafting in a better spot (or not losing 100 years worth of first rounders to other teams) would have benefited this team long term.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
richtedm wrote:I would also criticize them for passing on Paul Stastny, that one is gonna hurt as long as Paul is in the league.
FYI, we also missed on Jon Quick. He was drafted in the second round by the Kings. :cussing:

Just goes to show talent can come out of nowhere.
Henrik Lundqvist was a 3rd rounder. Now I won't say that the Rangers are any good as they're also fighting for their playoff lives, but King Henrik is quite good, in fact. It's the rest of the team in front of him that blows.

Edit: 7th round. I could have sworn he was a 3rd round pick, but his bio says 7th round so I'll go with that. That just makes it even harder to swallow. Hopefully Jake Allen develops into something.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
thedoc wrote:We need at least $10 million to even be in the running to sign Kolvy.
How do you figure?
Ovechkin makes $9 million per year and then it bumps to $10 million per year in 2014. Kovalchuk is a great player, but he doesn't bring as much to the table as Ovechkin. Ovechkin currently has almost 30 more points than Kovalchuk and he outscored him by 20+ pts. last year. Plus Ovechkin bring the physical aspect to the table and not to mention a more dynamic player with the puck.
Kovalchuk also has never reached 100pts. and he's been in the league 8 years now...and he's only cracked 90 pts. once in the past four seasons...and he won't hit 90 this season, hell...he probably won't hit 80 pts this year.

Kovalchuk makes $7.5 million now. That's about what he's worth I guess, but he figures to get a slight raise just because teams will overpay. I think $8.5 million could get him...unless he gets some goofy/retarded Zetterburg length contract where he makes $6 million or so per year for 500 years...which I think the Blues should try. They could try to offer him an 8 year contract and front load it so the first 4 years are worth $32 million ($8 million per) and the next two are worth $12 million ($6 million per) and the final 2 are with $2 million per. That's a $48 million contract over 8 years, and it's only $6 million against the cap each year.
Great points, but they don't mean sh*t.

Dude already turned down 10 mill a year and a contract for over 100 mill. Someone is going to give it to him period, so if you’re not willing to, you won’t get him.

What you'r worth and what you'll get are not always the same thing.
Kovalchuk turned down that 100 million contract from Atlanta. He didn't want to re-sign in Atlanta. They could have offered him $12 million a season and he would have turned it down.

He won't get more than Ovechkin. If he does, he is getting overpaid by a nice chunk. He isn't better than Ovechkin...not even close. I wouldn't want the Blues to dump $10 million on him...unless we have to do it to prevent Detroit or Chicago from getting him.

If you offer him a frontloaded, long term deal...like Franzen & Zetterberg...you should be able to get him for no more than a $7 million cap hit per year. And that's the way it seems to be going in the NHL if you want a great player. And since Detroit is getting away with it, the Blues need to jump on board with a deal or two like this before they outlaw it in the new CBA or else they are going to be playing shorthanded, so to speak.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

glen a richter wrote:It is distinctly possible that the worst thing that could happen to an organization would be to make the playoffs every year but have nothing to show for it. Maybe missing once or twice and drafting in a better spot (or not losing 100 years worth of first rounders to other teams) would have benefited this team long term.
*DING DING*

This.

To me the "playoff streak" is more embarrassing than anything. How a team can consistently make the playoffs and yet never manage to win a cup is beyond ridiculous.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
thedoc wrote:We need at least $10 million to even be in the running to sign Kolvy.
How do you figure?
Ovechkin makes $9 million per year and then it bumps to $10 million per year in 2014. Kovalchuk is a great player, but he doesn't bring as much to the table as Ovechkin. Ovechkin currently has almost 30 more points than Kovalchuk and he outscored him by 20+ pts. last year. Plus Ovechkin bring the physical aspect to the table and not to mention a more dynamic player with the puck.
Kovalchuk also has never reached 100pts. and he's been in the league 8 years now...and he's only cracked 90 pts. once in the past four seasons...and he won't hit 90 this season, hell...he probably won't hit 80 pts this year.

Kovalchuk makes $7.5 million now. That's about what he's worth I guess, but he figures to get a slight raise just because teams will overpay. I think $8.5 million could get him...unless he gets some goofy/retarded Zetterburg length contract where he makes $6 million or so per year for 500 years...which I think the Blues should try. They could try to offer him an 8 year contract and front load it so the first 4 years are worth $32 million ($8 million per) and the next two are worth $12 million ($6 million per) and the final 2 are with $2 million per. That's a $48 million contract over 8 years, and it's only $6 million against the cap each year.
Great points, but they don't mean sh*t.

Dude already turned down 10 mill a year and a contract for over 100 mill. Someone is going to give it to him period, so if you’re not willing to, you won’t get him.

What you'r worth and what you'll get are not always the same thing.
Kovalchuk turned down that 100 million contract from Atlanta. He didn't want to re-sign in Atlanta. They could have offered him $12 million a season and he would have turned it down.

He won't get more than Ovechkin. If he does, he is getting overpaid by a nice chunk. He isn't better than Ovechkin...not even close. I wouldn't want the Blues to dump $10 million on him...unless we have to do it to prevent Detroit or Chicago from getting him.

If you offer him a frontloaded, long term deal...like Franzen & Zetterberg...you should be able to get him for no more than a $7 million cap hit per year. And that's the way it seems to be going in the NHL if you want a great player. And since Detroit is getting away with it, the Blues need to jump on board with a deal or two like this before they outlaw it in the new CBA or else they are going to be playing shorthanded, so to speak.
Dude, I sssssoooooo hope you're right, but everything I'm hearing on Sirius radio, NHL Network, and the interwebs is saying it's going to be a 10 mill a year average.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

How high of a pick would you trade to NJ before the draft/free agency for the opportunity to negotiate with Kovalchuk before FA season?

I'd part with a 2nd for that chance

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

OPTIMEGUS wrote:How high of a pick would you trade to NJ before the draft/free agency for the opportunity to negotiate with Kovalchuk before FA season?

I don't know if NJ would take anything less than five 1st rounders. :ninja:

Does Kovalchuk get a say in who NJ trades his negotiating rights to? It would be a shame if we gave up a high-round pick for a guy who has absolutely no intention of signing with St. Louis, no matter the $ amount (like Atlanta).

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

gaijin wrote:
OPTIMEGUS wrote:How high of a pick would you trade to NJ before the draft/free agency for the opportunity to negotiate with Kovalchuk before FA season?

I don't know if Washington would take anything less than five 1st rounders. :ninja:

Does Kovalchuk get a say in who NJ trades his negotiating rights to? It would be a shame if we gave up a high-round pick for a guy who has absolutely no intention of signing with St. Louis, no matter the $ amount (like Atlanta).
Fixed.

:wink:

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Blues left winger Paul Kariya left Tuesday’s 4-2 win over Chicago after the first period with a lower-body injury. After the game, Blues coach Davis Payne said that Kariya was day to day.

Kariya was not on the ice this morning, and Payne said following practice that Kariya will not play Thursday against the Nashville Predators. The team is not saying how or when the injury happened.

“Lower body . . . (Kariya is) having some tests today and is day to day . . . won’t be traveling with us,” Payne said.

The loss is costly for the Blues, who have won three straight games and are six points out of the No. 8 spot with six games to play. Not including yesterday, when he only played one period, Kariya has 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) in his last 16 complete games.

“He’s a guy that’s playing extremely well with the (David) Backes and (T.J.) Oshie group, contributing on the power play and giving us the speed element,” Payne said. “Obviously it hurts, but now it becomes crucial that somebody else pick up that slack, that ice time and that performance level.”

That “somebody” will be Alex Steen. Steen stepped into Kariya’s spot Tuesday night and finished with two goals, one assists and seven shots in a season-high 20 minutes, 50 seconds of ice time.

“Well, we’ll leave Alex there for right now,” Payne said. “We’ll go through today and see how everybody else is feeling and balance that out with the rest of our lines tomorrow.”

Steen is looking forward to the assignment.

“It’ll be fun . . . Backes and Osh are hard-working guys . . . great skills, both of them are talented,” Steen said. “I’ve got to stick to my type of game, but I think we’ll complement each other well and hopefully we’ll have a good game.”
This can't be helping his stock any. Past his prime & softer than medicated cotton.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

stlbluz wrote:
Blues left winger Paul Kariya left Tuesday’s 4-2 win over Chicago after the first period with a lower-body injury. After the game, Blues coach Davis Payne said that Kariya was day to day.

Kariya was not on the ice this morning, and Payne said following practice that Kariya will not play Thursday against the Nashville Predators. The team is not saying how or when the injury happened.

“Lower body . . . (Kariya is) having some tests today and is day to day . . . won’t be traveling with us,” Payne said.

The loss is costly for the Blues, who have won three straight games and are six points out of the No. 8 spot with six games to play. Not including yesterday, when he only played one period, Kariya has 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) in his last 16 complete games.

“He’s a guy that’s playing extremely well with the (David) Backes and (T.J.) Oshie group, contributing on the power play and giving us the speed element,” Payne said. “Obviously it hurts, but now it becomes crucial that somebody else pick up that slack, that ice time and that performance level.”

That “somebody” will be Alex Steen. Steen stepped into Kariya’s spot Tuesday night and finished with two goals, one assists and seven shots in a season-high 20 minutes, 50 seconds of ice time.

“Well, we’ll leave Alex there for right now,” Payne said. “We’ll go through today and see how everybody else is feeling and balance that out with the rest of our lines tomorrow.”

Steen is looking forward to the assignment.

“It’ll be fun . . . Backes and Osh are hard-working guys . . . great skills, both of them are talented,” Steen said. “I’ve got to stick to my type of game, but I think we’ll complement each other well and hopefully we’ll have a good game.”
This can't be helping his stock any. Past his prime & softer than medicated cotton.
Thank you Kariya... :letsgoblues: :cup:
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

I just don't see how Koval fits into the Blues future plans. He turned down a huge salary from a team about on par with the Blues right now... why would he want to sign with STL as opposed to Chicago or Detroit or a top tier East/West team? I don't think he's dumb or short on money. If he can win a few rings with Detroit (BLAH) or Chicago or WHOEVER that's where he'll go...

He simply didn't want to resign with Atlanta and I don't see him signing with St. Louis anytime soon. A franchise cannot build itself around a player unless that player is on 100%, and with St. Louis, I don't see him filling that role.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Lower body injury == Wonky vejayjay?
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.