Alex Steen

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Alex Steen

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Petro I disagree. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play as much as I would like but "walked around" is pretty harsh. Hockey News just wrote a hugely complementary article on him

While being the leading scorer in the juniors tourney, with his team already down one defenseman, his coach sat him because he was playing so badly defensively......I think that says something about something.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote:and make some decent passes and positioning. Personally, I was impressed. That feeling was not universal I take it. He's got a bright future I think.
Maybe one more AHL season is in store for him

That's all I was saying.

I'd like to see them bring in some real talent this offseason and then maybe in the second half of the season, he can push one of the lower guys off the roster or be a nice option for injury call ups.

I don't deny his skill, it's his readiness that I'm not sold on. He's not exactly dominating down in Perioa, so you can't really argue that another year down there will retard his progress.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

I like Steen, hope his next contract is reasonable.

I know people say sign him, but to what kind of contract?

3 years 6,7.5 mil? More?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Prngr44 wrote:I like Steen, hope his next contract is reasonable.

I know people say sign him, but to what kind of contract?

3 years 6,7.5 mil? More?
I wouldn't be opposed to something in that ballpark. Obviously Kariya coming off the books/re-signed for a drastically reduced salary will help. I'm just happy the Blues are being patient with the payroll, unlike say the Hawks. When a free agent is worth the mega contract, they will have the space. Until then, the small deals like that- $2 mill a year = awesome.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote: When a free agent is worth the mega contract, they will have the space. Until then, the small deals like that- $2 mill a year = awesome.

They've already dished out 4 mill a year deal to Brewer, Jackman, Boyes, and McDonald.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this offseason will be HUGE in indicating if JD has a clue. He talks a great game and the city loves him, but I want to see positive results on the roster. Sure cheap pick-up like Crombeen and Winchester have worked out well, and the Steen/Carlo deal worked out but what else? Signing Paulie? The afore mentioned extensions?

They are probably going to miss the playoff and yet are still raising ticket prices, I better see the team spend some jack and spend it much better than they have to date.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

DaDitka wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: When a free agent is worth the mega contract, they will have the space. Until then, the small deals like that- $2 mill a year = awesome.

They've already dished out 4 mill a year deal to Brewer, Jackman, Boyes, and McDonald.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this offseason will be HUGE in indicating if JD has a clue. He talks a great game and the city loves him, but I want to see positive results on the roster. Sure cheap pick-up like Crombeen and Winchester have worked out well, and the Steen/Carlo deal worked out but what else? Signing Paulie? The afore mentioned extensions?

They are probably going to miss the playoff and yet are still raising ticket prices, I better see the team spend some jack and spend it much better than they have to date.
Everybody was happy with the Boyes and McDonald signings. We were all THRILLED to sign Kariya. Now people want to hold those contracts against him? McDonald and Kariya have finally seemed to really pick up their pay. McDonald is currently playing like you would expect from his contract. Kariya has obviously been a major disappointment, but hindsight is 20/20 and we all loved it when we signed him. It energized the fan base for certain. Jackman and Brewer can be frustrating, sure. But the way I see it... by the time payroll becomes an issue because we are resigning all of our younger players, these contracts won't be around! They were contracts designed to help us compete now and not hurt us long-term when the core they expect to win with are ready to start carrying the team (and hence getting more money$). For all these "bad" contracts, they are in a position to make a run at a guy like Kovalchuk and STILL be able to re-sign their younger players when their contracts expire.

I think you need to find a way to balance foresight and hindsight instead of only focusing on the poor results that are only clear as a result of said hindsight and mostly out of the GM's control. Its easy to lose patience given the Blues' history; but being objective and looking at the whole of: where they are now, where they were projected to be when they started their new direction, and the overall state of the organization (in playoff contention -albeit a longshot/prospect rich/plenty of cap space/high attendance/developing core of players)... theres not much to criticize about.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Points per game:
Alex Steen .68
Andy McDonald .67
T.J. Oshie .67
David Backes .61
Paul Kariya .58
Brad Boyes .55
David Perron .52
Kieth Tkachuk .5

Goals Per Game:
Alex Steen .35
Andy McDonald .32
David Perron .25
Paul Kariya .24
T.J. Oshie .24
David backes .23
Kieth Tkachuk .21
Patrik Berglund .19

/thread
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

TheoSqua wrote:Points per game:
Alex Steen .68
Andy McDonald .67
T.J. Oshie .67
David Backes .61
Paul Kariya .58
Brad Boyes .55
David Perron .52
Kieth Tkachuk .5

Goals Per Game:
Alex Steen .35
Andy McDonald .32
David Perron .25
Paul Kariya .24
T.J. Oshie .24
David backes .23
Kieth Tkachuk .21
Patrik Berglund .19

/thread
Then give him the biggest contract on the team. Isn't that the point you're making?

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Nope, just that he may be worth resigning.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

richtedm wrote:
Everybody was happy with the Boyes and McDonald signings. We were all THRILLED to sign Kariya. Now people want to hold those contracts against him?

Yes!!!

He's paid to make these decisions. We're not. We are allowed to be 'wrong', he'd better be right more often then not.

Boyes and McD arn't anywhere near as bad as the defensive signings.

And now wait until this offseason when they let CC walk because they have too much cash tied up in Brewer and Jackman despite the fact that Carlo is better than either one of them.

I was also highly objective of the fact that they didn’t bring in a scorer last offseason. I know JD says he made a hard run at Gaborick . Well if that is true…then isn’t that an admitting that your squad need s more scoring? Yet you add nothing?

I’m not saying he’s been good or bad….they jury is clearly out, but he’s been in the office much longer than many realize and it’ time to see better results from his decisions. With all the money freeing up this offseason and the situation between the pipes, he’ll get a chance to prove himself soon enough.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

DaDitka wrote:
richtedm wrote:
Everybody was happy with the Boyes and McDonald signings. We were all THRILLED to sign Kariya. Now people want to hold those contracts against him?

Yes!!!

He's paid to make these decisions. We're not. We are allowed to be 'wrong', he'd better be right more often then not.

Boyes and McD arn't anywhere near as bad as the defensive signings.

And now wait until this offseason when they let CC walk because they have too much cash tied up in Brewer and Jackman despite the fact that Carlo is better than either one of them.

I was also highly objective of the fact that they didn’t bring in a scorer last offseason. I know JD says he made a hard run at Gaborick . Well if that is true…then isn’t that an admitting that your squad need s more scoring? Yet you add nothing?

I’m not saying he’s been good or bad….they jury is clearly out, but he’s been in the office much longer than many realize and it’ time to see better results from his decisions. With all the money freeing up this offseason and the situation between the pipes, he’ll get a chance to prove himself soon enough.
I'm speechless, I'm not sure you read all of what I said but instead only focused on the part you wanted to see.

What basis do you have to think they can't resign Carlo because they are worried about cap space? Last I checked they were sitting comfortably on that end. And keep in mind the player you so desperately want them to re-sign came to the team via a trade JD and Co put together... where we also got one of our leading scorers this season (remember the guy this thread was titled for?)

I don't think you look at the big picture; rather you just focus on little things you don't like so you have something to complain about. But hey, thats America.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

richtedm wrote:I'm speechless, I'm not sure you read all of what I said but instead only focused on the part you wanted to see.

What basis do you have to think they can't resign Carlo because they are worried about cap space? Last I checked they were sitting comfortably on that end. And keep in mind the player you so desperately want them to re-sign came to the team via a trade JD and Co put together... where we also got one of our leading scorers this season (remember the guy this thread was titled for?)

I don't think you look at the big picture; rather you just focus on little things you don't like so you have something to complain about. But hey, thats America.

I gave him credit for that trade, and the reason I think they are going to let Carlo walk is because they were actively shopping him at the deadline. Steen is in the same contract situation and they did not shop him.

I didn't say anyone had to like or dislike JD yet, I did say we should all be able to judge him rather decisively this offseason.

There will be plenty of room for movement this offseason and if we find ourselves scrambling to try and make the playoffs in end again next year, I think that will be very telling. If we find ourselves at the same point next year with 15 game or so to go worrying about trying to secure home ice in the first round, he’s done his job.

I believe the stat on the sight a few weeks ago that illustrated that we are not only the lowest scoring team post lockout, but by a large margin, should keep all of us a little cautious before claiming that all is well.

But hell, if you strive for mediocrity, this is America.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:

As richetdm pointed out, they're not bad deals, all things considered, and we were all very happy with them at the time. McDonald I am still happy about. I will never get it out of my head that he was the only one who had a single freakin idea what he was doing on the ice in the playoffs last year while all the youngins were playing panic-puck. Expected, but when this team hits the playoffs, he's a huge asset. Boyes- I REALLY believe this year was a fluke. You don't look awesome your full rookie season, then follow it with 40+ and 30+ goal seasons and then fall apart. Everyone on this team had a bad year (other than a select few- Steen included) so I wouldn't hit the panic button on him yet.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this offseason will be HUGE in indicating if JD has a clue. He talks a great game and the city loves him, but I want to see positive results on the roster.
Here I agree. I would love to see Steen back, that'd be great. But something has got to change. Two years of negligible roster moves has gotten us a 4 game sweep in the playoffs and (probably) a playoff miss entirely. He's gotta do something.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

sign him leery
but at the first sign of a slump he will totally suck and i will demand his trade
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller