Olympic Impact on NHL Popularity

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Impact the Olympics Will Have on NHL Popularity?

Minimal to No Change
33%
Cause People to Wake Up and Realize the NHL is WAY Better than the NBA
9%
Significant Increase in TV Ratings and Ticket/Merch Revenue
No votes
Sportscenter will spend 5 minutes on hockey highlights now when otherwise they would be using that time to report on Brett Favre's Bowel Movements
36%
Gary Bettman Will Find a Way to Eff This Exposure Up
21%

Total votes: 33

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Olympic Impact on NHL Popularity

Post by dmiles2186 »

What do you guys think? Personally, I don't think the overall change is going to be all that significant. I do believe there there were some 8-9-10 year old kids out there who decided to try out the game next time a league in their city opens. I also think that the games converted some non-believers to fans. In fact, a Facebook friend of mine who just 3 years ago said hockey was "wrestling on ice" and "figure skating with sticks" is now researching teams to follow as he is converted. So the question is, what impact will the Olympics have on the overall popularity of the league?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Olympic Impact on NHL Popularity

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I guess a lot was made by Gary Bettman of the fact that no previous Olympics have shown spikes in interest in the NHL. If there ever was an Olympics where that would change, this would be the one.

If it doesn't happen this time, it never will. A gold medal game USA/Canada going to overtime? Bettman couldn't have written a script much different than how it actually panned out. We'll see.

I voted Sportscenter.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I think you'll see a slight temporary spike in coverage on espn and perhaps slightly in TV ratings.

I think some will pay more attention the next time a game is on the TV in the local sports bar and maybe so may be more willing to attend a game the next time they are offered a free ticket. If they see it live, you’ll have them hooked.

What is going to KILL any momentum this built for the sport is with NFL free agency starting this week and Baseball starting up, people attention will be quickly skewed back to their traditional interests.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I think you guys are all correct. I especially agree with the young kid's statement. Even though I really really hate to admit it DaDitka is also right. There is going to be a new shiny toy for the casual sports to play with especially with baseball starting. It is a shame that people don't get more interested though. They really don't know what they are missing. These guys hit like football players, have the hand eye coordination of baseball players and the speed of and agility of basketball players and by the way they do it on ice. People are being left out. All the better though I guess they might become redwing fans.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I enjoyed no commercials during game play during the Olympics. I thought that was great. I'm guessing that it is virtually impossible for the NHL to get by with something like that, but if they could, why wouldn't they?

Sure, you could take your breaks to clean the ice/goal creases. During these breaks you could have the announcers spout off sponsors like sports radio hosts do. But it would keep the game moving swiftly and play into the hands of a game that moves along at a breakneck pace. This could lead to more 'casual' viewers getting sucked in instead of changing the channel during a commercial and not coming back.

Like I said, doubt this will ever happen in today's ad-fueled age, but its an idea.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

the NHL WOULD gain more viewers if they weren't on Versus. Its just not enough exposure. People will forget. I do think there will be an increase in interest, I just dont think it will be as much as there could have been.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

And for the love of Christ, why doesn't the NHL start a month earlier so that the Cup Finals aren't going on in June when beaches are opening?

This is such an obvious and basic change. Yet year after year Bettman & co. b(tch about low playoffs ratings. No $hit Sherlock.

</rant>
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Hockey doesn't mean shit to the average douchebag out there if it's not on ESPN. I don't think that is going to change so I think it was nice to see those ratings but the only thing those douches cared about was there U.S.A. jerseys and that's it.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

IT would have been better if they would have put it on NBC instead of figure skating. Hell even Curling would have been better to see than that crap.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Been through this before...nothing will change. Oh, there might be a slight change in ratings for awhile, but the general US citizen just doesn't get hockey.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.