The Big GDT: USA - Canada, 21 Feb 2010, 6:45 PM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: The Big GDT: USA - Canada, 21 Feb 2010, 6:45 PM

Post by kodos »

No. Winning was freaking awesome.

It's so much fun being able to root for the USA as an underdog.

I was yelling... "SUCK IT CANADA!" the whole game.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

No. Winning was freaking awesome.

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Obviously a lot of people finally got around to reading the aforementioned papers. Winning sucks.
The hell I said that.

Team USA played with an incredible amount of spirit and determination. They played as well as that particular team is capable of playing. On that night, I'm not sure any other team in the world would've beaten Canada, even with the mistakes Canada made.

What I'm saying is that Canada shouldn't be hanging their heads either. They certainly didn't 'lose it' - they played extremely well. Their 18 skaters played better than our 18 skaters; the control of the puck, the number of scoring chances and the shots on goal certainly reflect that. The 'aforementioned papers' would have had me saying Canada pissed themselves and the US got lucky. That's not the case at all, the US played extremely well and took advantage of every opportunity presented; they needed it because Canada played exceptionally well as well.

That still doesn't mean that Canada doesn't win that game if they play again. Or that Canada doesn't win that game with Luongo in net. It means only that both teams played a level of hockey I have not seen in a long LONG time. It was an exceptional game by almost everyone on the ice.

Like I said, those clubs raised their respective levels of play a notch - Marty Brodeur did not.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

kodos wrote:No. Winning was freaking awesome.

Who is Canada? You shouldn't talk to ladies that way.
"Can't wait till 50 posts, so I can create a new topic!"

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

cprice12 wrote:Brodeur is taking a beating in the papers today for his play last night.
I don't think he was that bad.
Two goals were deflections and one was a goofy goal mouth scramble that squirted free to Drury for a tap in. Can you blame Brodeur for those goals? Eh...I dunno. Seems like people are looking for a scapegoat, and blaming the goalie is always the easy way out.

I think those goofy goals are magnified because Brodeur's counterpart, Miller, was so good.

Does Canada put in Luongo next game?
you don't think he was bad? he was ok at best. on top of that, i think he played cocky and arrogant. what was he thinking half the night? it reminded me when jeff and i would change goalies during the middle of the game at the old ballpark. man was that cocky.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

i was thinking of doing the same thing with that clip the moment i saw it......be a nice one to add some music to.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:Yeah, I really don't see how anyone can think that Canada got outworked. I think they simple got out lucked on that one.
I'm not saying Canada didn't work hard, they absolutely did. But the US seemed to be at the next level as far as hustle was concerned. That's not a knock on Canada, the US just worked a little harder. They had to, their roster isn't as good on paper.
But you have to wonder about Canada...going to a shootout against the Swiss and losing to the US? They are falling short of expectations already.

Both teams played extremely well...Canada played great...the US played about as well as they could I think...and Miller was the better goalie.

The US earned their goals. Shit happens and Brodeur found that out last night. You can't cover 100% of the net, and deflections are going to find their way in sometimes, no matter what a goalie does..and it doesn't mean he sucks. Two US goals were scored via a deflection. Saying Brodeur sucked because a couple deflected pucks went in, is a bit harsh.
Should he have hit that puck baseball style to try and clear the zone? I dunno...maybe not. But that's how he plays...that's how he has always played. That's what you get with Brodeur...he's aggressive with the puck.

One goal that wasn't deflected was shot through a bunch of legs, Brodeur got over and stacked the pads, but the puck found a tiny hole the size of a puck between the end of his pads near his skates and went in.
Bad luck or shitty goaltending?
It's just bad luck for Canada....good luck for the US.

People always say you make your own luck...and the US worked extremely hard and got some bounces. I don't like to say a team got lucky when they worked their asses off and got a fortunate bounce. They worked hard and were rewarded for it.

Kessler's goal kind of sums up the game. He skates hard after a dumped puck with Brodeur pulled. The Canadian defenseman is inbetween Kessler and the puck and he blocks out Kessler as he approaches the puck. He didn't expect Kessler to dive, reach around him and poke the puck towards the net and in from a bad angle. It was a herculean effort that went above and beyond typical hard work in a hockey game. Was it a bad play by the defenseman? No, but it was an outstanding play by Kessler who worked hard and was rewarded for it. He could do that 100 more times and not get that puck in the net. That's just how it goes.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

keithp40 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:Brodeur is taking a beating in the papers today for his play last night.
Two goals were deflections and one was a goofy goal mouth scramble that squirted free to Drury for a tap in. Can you blame Brodeur for those goals? Eh...I dunno. Seems like people are looking for a scapegoat, and blaming the goalie is always the easy way out.

I think those goofy goals are magnified because Brodeur's counterpart, Miller, was so good.

you don't think he was bad? he was ok at best. on top of that, i think he played cocky and arrogant. what was he thinking half the night? it reminded me when jeff and i would change goalies during the middle of the game at the old ballpark. man was that cocky.
People are lynching Brodeur for his play. I'm a Blues fan, I have seen more than my share of horrible goaltending and that wasn't horrible goaltending.
Yeah, he was cocky and arrogant, but that's how he's always played. I wasn't surprised by anything he did.

The US just got the bounces. It happens.

Now, whether Brodeur or Luongo should be in net the next game, is a completely different topic.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

cprice12 wrote:
keithp40 wrote:

People are lynching Brodeur for his play. I'm a Blues fan, I have seen more than my share of horrible goaltending and that wasn't horrible goaltending.
Yeah, he was cocky and arrogant, but that's how he's always played. I wasn't surprised by anything he did.

The US just got the bounces. It happens.

Now, whether Brodeur or Luongo should be in net the next game, is a completely different topic.
i'm not surprised......by his cockiness........couple goals were scored because he was "jerk"ing off...

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

no broduer = OT or canada wins by 1.........he was out of net, too aggressive.....

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I thought Brodeur looked like the kind of goalie that will be available to the Blues' this off season (if he plays like that for NJ down the stretch).

He wasn't horrible, just not nearly good enough - or even as good as he usually is. He flopped around like a fish most of the night rather than looking confident on his angles.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I thought Brodeur looked like the kind of goalie that will be available to the Blues' this off season (if he plays like that for NJ down the stretch).

He wasn't horrible, just not nearly good enough - or even as good as he usually is. He flopped around like a fish most of the night rather than looking confident on his angles.
That's exactly right.

He wasn't brutal - he was merely adequate.

In a game where the two sets of skaters played at the highest levels, it was incumbant upon the goalies to take their play to that level as well.

Miller did, Brodeur didn't.

It was not an Olympic effort.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

broduer = awesome goaltender top 5 all time if not number 1
broduer last night = cost his team the game. he was the weakest link.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

keithp40 wrote:no broduer = OT or canada wins by 1.........he was out of net, too aggressive.....
:lol: :lol:
Right......that's an assumptive statement of stupidity. You have no idea how each team would respond. What I do know is that the USA responded every time Canada came back. Canada has been tight and haven't taken advantage of the chances in front of them. Why else is Babcock shortening the bench at times?

Hell, that 3rd Canadian goal was "Turek special" on Miller. But, unlike the Blues of the past, the USA team wasn't phased and finished the game to a win.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: But the US seemed to be at the next level as far as hustle was concerned.

That's the part I don't get. Save Backes, none of the forwards back checked. I can't remember the last time I saw defenseman play that timid and unsure of what they should do. At what point did we sustain any kind of pressure and keep them hemmed in their own end.

I enjoyed that freaking win more than anyone, but if Miller would have played like a mere mortal, that effort wouldn’t have beat any NHL team let alone one the caliber of Canada or Russia.

As I stated before however, I expect that will change next time we face o high caliber team because the players no longer ‘wonder’ if they can beat the big dogs, they now ‘know’ they can and I believe they will take that confidence to the ice.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

keithp40
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by keithp40 »

northwest dave wrote:
keithp40 wrote:no broduer = OT or canada wins by 1.........he was out of net, too aggressive.....
Right......that's an assumptive statement of stupidity. You have no idea how each team would respond. What I do know is that the USA responded every time Canada came back. Canada has been tight and haven't taken advantage of the chances in front of them. Why else is Babcock shortening the bench at times?

Hell, that 3rd Canadian goal was "Turek special" on Miller. But, unlike the Blues of the past, the USA team wasn't phased and finished the game to a win.
i don't think it is assumptive to say that if he wasn't in goal that the game would have been flipped by a goal or two.....saying that usa responded every time that canada came back is something that a 4th grader on meds could come up with just by watching 30 seconds of highlights. bottom line is....broduer was bad, far worse than his lifetime achievements.....that would be like pujols going 1-10 in a series and saying "well you don't know how better production from him would have impacted the series."

come on :grin:

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

keithp40 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:

i don't think it is assumptive to say that if he wasn't in goal that the game would have been flipped by a goal or two.....saying that usa responded every time that canada came back is something that a 4th grader on meds could come up with just by watching 30 seconds of highlights. bottom line is....broduer was bad, far worse than his lifetime achievements.....that would be like pujols going 1-10 in a series and saying "well you don't know how better production from him would have impacted the series."

come on :grin:
Fourth grader on meds? :lol:
Reaching for an analogy.

What's interesting about the game is that the USA team challenged Brodeur to come out and play the puck. It worked. Maybe Brodeur was a little rusty since the change in that rule in the NHL.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.