GEEDEETEE: Blues @ Flames 8:30 PM; FSMW and KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GEEDEETEE: Blues @ Flames 8:30 PM; FSMW and KMOX

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: I would LOVE to see how this young team would play in the playoffs after getting swept in the first round last year. Let's see if they've learned anything.
I don't mean to sound as though I don't want to make it, I'm just not going act like the entire season is a failure if we're eliminated at any point.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Boyes, Pie and a 1st for Iginla. That guy plays teh Hokeys very good.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

cprice12 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:Oshie played his ars off, Conks stood on his head, DP put it away, and

They got Berg-larized!

Great start to the road trip and now the playoff speculation actual has some legs. As I’ve stated before, I’m not overly concerned with a playoff appearance an first round bow out, but as long as we don’t loose sight of the long term goal it will do nothing but make the next 2 months more interesting and help the young players build confidence.
Making the playoffs is always, always, always, always better than finishing 9th, 10th or 11th.
I would LOVE to see how this young team would play in the playoffs after getting swept in the first round last year. Let's see if they've learned anything.
I bet this time they would lose in 5 games. PROGRESS!!!

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Was not that impressed by the blues. Perron's goal was the 2nd shot of the 3rd. Come on! Granted calgary really brought it but I saw the same 3rd from the blues that I didn't want to see. This time they just did a better job of turtling and got lucky.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:
cprice12 wrote: I would LOVE to see how this young team would play in the playoffs after getting swept in the first round last year. Let's see if they've learned anything.
I don't mean to sound as though I don't want to make it, I'm just not going act like the entire season is a failure if we're eliminated at any point.
I would consider this season a failure if we fail to live up to expectations...and making the playoffs was expected.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I'd love to be excited, but since I was at the game Saturday and yesterday's game was blacked out, forgive me if it hasn't helped any.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Not making the playoffs this year has to be considered an epic failure.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
I would consider this season a failure if we fail to live up to expectations...and making the playoffs was expected.

Those were YOUR expectations. (and many – many others)

My expectations were.....you saw the most offensive output you will see out of Backes and Oshie, DP is exceeding my expectations, they only ones truly letting me down (offensively) are Boyes and Bergie.

We had no business competing for a playoff spot last year (IMO), the planets aligned and now expectations are too high.

If you expected too much out of Paulie, or TJ, or Brewer, or Mason.....that's on you.

Everyone is permitted their own expectations..they are basically an opinion.

I said it at the end of last year, I said it at the beginning of the season, and I'll say it now.....making the playoffs last year was a horrible thing for this organization. Great for fans....but expectations were simply too high by media, fans, and even management.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

While it isn't likely that they will make the playoffs, it's still very much possible with strong play. They have won 6 of 8 in their recent stretch, and they would have to maintain that kind of hockey to get in.

I would predict that the team would need to be at or above .500 to have a legit shot at making the postseason. I count OT losses as a loss in that calculation. The cutoff for the final spot in the west has been right on that line most years post-lockout, with teams over .500 in and teams under it out. It's not a guarantee, but it's a rough estimate of where it all ends up.

In 52 games the blues are 23-21-8, or 23-29. To hit that magic .500 level they would need to be about 18-12 or better in the final 30 games... or exactly how they have played the last 10. So they don't have to win every game or something insanely close to that, but they have a big pile of work to do if they want to slip into the playoffs again.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I'm with you. My pet peeve is when people don't consider OT losses as losses and call a team that is 10-10-4 or whatever a .500 team.

They aren't.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote:I'm with you. My pet peeve is when people don't consider OT losses as losses and call a team that is 10-10-4 or whatever a .500 team.

They aren't.
Agreed. It's like saying that because it took you longer to lose it's not a loss :roll:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:
kodos wrote:I'm with you. My pet peeve is when people don't consider OT losses as losses and call a team that is 10-10-4 or whatever a .500 team.

They aren't.
Agreed. It's like saying that because it took you longer to lose it's not a loss :roll:
An OT loss is not a loss, it's an OTL. There is a separate stat column for it and everything. They are called different things because they are different. But yes, you lose the game in both cases.

And 10-10-4 is indeed a .500 record if you go by points, which is how the NHL determines standings.
10-10-4 means 24 games were played and 48 points were possible.
A 10-10-4 record gets you 24 of the possible 48 points, which is half...or .500.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ambill10
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ambill10 »

cprice12 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

They aren't.
An OT loss is not a loss, it's an OTL. There is a separate stat column for it and everything. They are called different things because they are different. But yes, you lose the game in both cases.

And 10-10-4 is indeed a .500 record if you go by points, which is how the NHL determines standings.
A 10-10-4 record gets you 24 of the possible 48 points, which is half...or .500.
I agree. If you get a point for an OTL then it is not the same as normal loss.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

I'm really liking the chemistry between McDonald and Perron lately. Hopefully Payne keeps them on a line together for a long time!
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

cprice12 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

They aren't.

Well duh, it's not the same as a regulation loss. Oh really, there's a separate column? (insert captn obvious rock pic).

:lol: :wink:

The point is that if you look at the standings at the end of the year, it makes very little if any difference whether you lost in regulation or ot; teams that have more wins than total losses, with very few exceptions, make the playoffs. The odd year that a team has 12-15 otl is about the only thing that changes that number.

The main point was: the blues need about 18 wins in the next thirty games.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Here's a crazy thought- let's wait until we have to argue about whether or not the Blues are at a .650 record then have a meaningful (and much more pleasant) discussion then? :P
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

You go by points for winnings percentages when you have 1 point otls..

It isn't that difficult.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

They aren't.

Well duh, it's not the same as a regulation loss. Oh really, there's a separate column? (insert captn obvious rock pic).

:lol: :wink:

The point is that if you look at the standings at the end of the year, it makes very little if any difference whether you lost in regulation or ot; teams that have more wins than total losses, with very few exceptions, make the playoffs. The odd year that a team has 12-15 otl is about the only thing that changes that number.

The main point was: the blues need about 18 wins in the next thirty games.
or 15 wins and 6 overtime losses.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

section319 wrote:You go by points for winnings percentages when you have 1 point otls..

It isn't that difficult.

Agreed...winning percentage......points.....

A 10 - 10 - 5 teams has won 500% of their available points. But hell when you're OTL total is half your win total (or more) I believe the point total isn't exactly indicative of how the team is playing.

The way I see it…..you left the ice a winner 10 times and you left the ice a loser 15 times. I’m sure any player with any shred of a competitive nature in their body probably feels the same.

I guess you can argue that coming away with one point on the road against a better opponent or on the back side of back to back games is ‘good’ (and I agree), but I doubt it feels that way in the locker room after the game, and it’s rather tough to decipher which games in the standing were those and which were 2 goal leads in the third at home that netted you one freaking point.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

My problem with 10-10-4 being considered a .500 team is having to hear Bernie Federko, Darren Pang, John Kelly, Kelly Chase, etc., say "well, even with all the problems, ups and down, injuries, etc., it's remarkable the Blues are still a .500 team," which makes it sounds like some kind of accomplishment and that the Blues are average or at least are in the middle of the pack. Problem is that with the 3 point games .500 means absolutely nothing now and 25/30 teams are usually .500 or better. Point is .600 is the new .500.