We all know it needs to happen...Who gets traded first?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

A-Yo!
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

We all know it needs to happen...Who gets traded first?

Post by A-Yo! »

Now we all know that the Blues need to make a trade. Who do they try and get and for who? I am still on the Brewer/Kariya/pick to the Lightning for Vinny C. With that being said, what trade do you think is best and FEASIBLE for the Blues.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: We all know it needs to happen...Who gets traded first?

Post by kodos »

This team needs a star. A real star. Not a 36 year old Paul Kariya or 900 year old Tkachuk.

Who is available in the off season?

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

You want feasible trade options and you mention kariya, brewer, and a pick for Lecavlier?
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I know it came up in flashchat yesterday but we have GOT to trade Kariya at the deadline and I think some team's will bite. The Blues will have to take on some salary to make it happen but if we end up dumping it anyway it's not a big deal. OR re-sign what we acquire.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Kovalchuk is a UFA this summer. I say JD and company gets together as many toasted raviolis as it's gonna take to sign him and get it done.

I also think they should try and trade a few of our mediocre dmen and go after a real #1 dman. We have a system chock full of somewhat decent depth dmen and no real difference makers.

A-Yo!
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by A-Yo! »

section319 wrote:You want feasible trade options and you mention kariya, brewer, and a pick for Lecavlier?
Its a salary thing and Vinny is still spinning his wheels in TB and his salary is huge for them. I am not sure if anyone will want his salary by the trade deadline. Brewer is a decent ODguy and the pick would be decent.

I mean I think the league knows that TB cant really unload him and can wait until FA.

A move has to be done though! The Blues have too much talent to be where they are!

A-Yo!
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by A-Yo! »

kodos wrote:Kovalchuk is a UFA this summer. I say JD and company gets together as many toasted raviolis as it's gonna take to sign him and get it done.

I also think they should try and trade a few of our mediocre dmen and go after a real #1 dman. We have a system chock full of somewhat decent depth dmen and no real difference makers.
That's a good play. I see a lot of similarities in the Hawks and Blues.

Loaded with young talent and good d guys that had a long jam of serviceable D guys.

The Hawks gamble paid off and if the Blues can be patient, the yoot will make it happen.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote:Kovalchuk is a UFA this summer.
Brewer has a better chance of winning the Norris then Kovalchuck has of hitting the open market.

He either resigns with Atlanta, or is dealt to a team and agrees to an extension.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

In no particular order, here are the guys who we'd be willing to deal that still hold some value in the trade market:

Jackman, Brewer, Kariya (UFA), Backes, Coliacovo (UFA), Steen, Sydor (UFA)

You see a problem there? Yeah, so do I! This roster has been filled with players that no one else wants. We couldn't get a bag of pucks for guys like Crombeen, Winchester, Janssen, King, Weaver, and the likes. Meanwhile, if you trade guys like Johnson, Oshie, Perron, Berglund, Petro, etc then you're taking a step backwards in the rebuilding process.

The only thing that's going to improve this team is development of good young talent and the signing of a talented, PROVEN scorer in the UFA market. Unfortunately that market isn't looking very healthy beyond Kovalchuck and as inflated as salaries are anyhow it's unlikely that anyone we sign will come at a reasonable price. We'll have to overpay once again to get anyone to come here (see: McKee, Jay or Kariya, Paul)

The other option is being part of a salary dump for another team by taking on someone else's talented but overpaid forward (Briere, Gomez, etc). They'll need to make some shrewd moves this offseason in order to improve this team from the outisde. However right now, I'm not very optimistic...

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

What about Boyes?

Lot's of teams will be looking for a second line scorer heading into the playoffs and his $4 mill a year deal may not be too restrictive.

It's funny that we talk about needing scoring and dealing Boyes all at the same time, but he's too lazy for me.

If you think you're going to quire a legit NHL scorer, the conversation will start with dealing Peron and Petro and go from there (I'm not against that either).

Any talk of unloading Brewer is probably unrealistic since he has a year left on his contract.

No Way I’d trade Carlo…No Way.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

DaDitka wrote:What about Boyes?

Lot's of teams will be looking for a second line scorer heading into the playoffs and his $4 mill a year deal may not be too restrictive.
I'm not sure how many teams would pay highly for him. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if his life depended on it. Maybe some dumb playoff team would overpay. But I'd prefer to deal him outside the conference. Less chance of him burning you in the future.
DaDitka wrote: Any talk of unloading Brewer is probably unrealistic since he has a year left on his contract.
I think he may hold more value across the league than we think. Especially since he's been player better as of late.
DaDitka wrote:No Way I’d trade Carlo…No Way.
He's a UFA after this year anyhow. No guarantee he's going to re-sign with us. Especially considering the log jam we have on the blue line (as mediocre as it may be). He might ask for more than we're willing to offer. I think his chances of coming back are 50/50 at best.

A-Yo!
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by A-Yo! »

DaDitka wrote:What about Boyes?

It's funny that we talk about needing scoring and dealing Boyes all at the same time, but he's too lazy for me.

If you think you're going to quire a legit NHL scorer, the conversation will start with dealing Peron and Petro and go from there (I'm not against that either).

Any talk of unloading Brewer is probably unrealistic since he has a year left on his contract.

No Way I’d trade Carlo…No Way.
Great post!

I am with you on Cola! I think he is a very good player for the Blues.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

strocklen083 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:No Way I’d trade Carlo…No Way.
He's a UFA after this year anyhow. No guarantee he's going to re-sign with us. Especially considering the log jam we have on the blue line (as mediocre as it may be). He might ask for more than we're willing to offer. I think his chances of coming back are 50/50 at best.

I believe the team IS shopping Petro. If that is the fact, and you are hoping to part ways with Brewer at some point, I would make resigning Carlo before the end of the season a priority.

You are right though on that I do think he will command a huge raise on the open market, that’s why I don’t want to see him hit it.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

DaDitka wrote: I believe the team IS shopping Petro. If that is the fact, and you are hoping to part ways with Brewer at some point, I would make resigning Carlo before the end of the season a priority.
The fact that they sent him back to the OHL indicates to me that they think he needs more seasoning. If they thought he was a lost cause or that they would use him as a trade him, then it most likely would have happened by now. Holding on to him just de-values the player as an asset by showing that he's not good enough to be with the club while those drafted around him are thriving. The longer they put him through this NHL, OHL, AHL dance the less appealing he becomes to other teams regardless of his performance in the lesser leagues.

That being said, I don't expect him to be on the roster next year at all. But I do anticpate him spending all of next season in Peoria. But that still doesn't clear up the log jam with guys like Ian Cole and Rundbland or who ever it was that we drafted this year. The team cannot rely on this extremely young core of d-men, but they also can't just trot guys like Sydor and Weaver out there expecting to compete.

I'd love to keep Carlo and I think he could be a big part of this organizations future. But right now it's a shell game with the d-men on this roster and I hope he isn't the one left out. However IMO it's looking more and more likely.
Last edited by strocklen083 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

strocklen083 wrote: The fact that they sent him back to the OHL indicates to me that they think he needs more seasoning. If they thought he was a lost cause or that they would use him as a trade him, then it most likely would have happened by now.
I don't think they see him as a lost cause at all.

I've believe they view 'offensive defenseman' as a position of strength both at the NHL level and as prospects and therefore it is a great source of currency to make moves.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

DaDitka wrote:
kodos wrote:Kovalchuk is a UFA this summer.
Brewer has a better chance of winning the Norris then Kovalchuck has of hitting the open market.

He either resigns with Atlanta, or is dealt to a team and agrees to an extension.
Why do you think that? It seems to me that Kovy will go to the highest bidder, and the best way to do that is to hit the UFA market. The ONLY way that Kovy doesn't make it to UFA is if some big market team with cap space (see Toronto) trades for him and then overpays him with a $10+MM/yr extension for 8+ years. If that's the case, we wouldn't be able to sign him anyway. Think Marian Gaborik. The Wild let him walk away and got nothing in return.

Who gets traded first?

Paul Kariya, for a 2nd round pick (hopefully).

Next?

Carlo Colaiacovo.

It's going to be a UFA selloff for the Blues this year. Gather some picks and package them in a trade for a player or to move up in the draft.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

If the Blues were going to make a impactful move, trading someone like Polak might be a start. I know people here like him, but he's a decent and cheap defenseman that could be part of a good trade. Just like I never thought they'd move Stempy, Polak and a prospect (Eller) might bring in someone good.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I hope in this order

Brewer
Kariya
Tkachuk
Jackman
anyone else but the young guys

I would hope to resign Steen, Colaiavoco.

I would try to trade for Kovachuk too, but I dont for see that happening. He'll most likely be traded to Pittsburgh or worse yet...Detroit.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

northwest dave wrote:Just like I never thought they'd move Stempy, Polak and a prospect (Eller) might bring in someone good.
I'd rather dump Petro than Eller. But preferably neither.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

per JR: "As far as the veterans, this team will undergo a face-lift next offseason. It's very doubtful that Sydor, Tkachuk or Kariya will be here next season. "

That gives us about 8+ mil in wiggle room, though we still need to sign a couple of the keepers.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald