Is Gretzky a dipshit for retiring so early?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

-C-
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Is Gretzky a dipshit for retiring so early?

Post by -C- »

I don't remember who it was, but of the league tough guys was interviewed and asked why no one hits Gretzky. This was when TGO was with the Rangers. His answer was: Would you want to be remembered for ending Gretzky's career?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

goon attack wrote:you're right that gretz was good at avoiding hits, but Dave Semenko was one of the top feared guys in the league at that time. It was like having Twist out there. I don't remember Demitra ever getting run while Twist was out there.

But there were plenty of other guys on those Oiler teams that would fight too and the Whinyer basically got to ice dance around his whole career. I saw him play many times and NOBODY took runs at him. I don't think that would happen nowadays. I think people would be looking to take him out.

I just don't think Gretz could have avoided all the physical stuff like he used to. Add in the fact that everybody wears a shield now and well, WHY NOT pummel Gretzky? All you gotta do is turtle if a goon comes after you.

This sums up Gretzky's career:

[youtube][/youtube]

IMMEDIATE retaliation for knocking Gretz on his ass. No questions asked: you hit Gretzky, you're going to answer to somebody, period.

And with that flimsy helmet he wore, he'd be jellobrained in a few seasons in today's NHL.
I get what you're trying to say but I think that video is a pretty poor example. That "retaliation" is really nothing more than what players do today. That was "immediate jostling" at best. You're making it sound like a NYR player came at the Canuck guy with his gloves off throwing punches.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

In the old days, he would have.

And how do you know a fight didn't happen after the clip ended? In the old days it WOULD have been gloves off immediately.

Now it's "OMFG DON'T TAKE A PENALTY OR YOU MAY GET BENCHED!!!!!! OMFG OMFGOFFLES!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!" PUSSY bullshit.

Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

-C-
Rookie
Rookie

Post by -C- »

goon attack wrote:And how do you know a fight didn't happen after the clip ended?
I remember that game and I believe Graves did end up fighting the guy.