Eric Staal to the Blues...??

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Eric Staal to the Blues

Post by DaDitka »

BF44 wrote: We shouldn't have to pay so much for a salary dump. I don't like losing Perron?

Agreed, the problem is that Bergie has no value right now and remember, to every other team in the league Perron is just a guy who only scored 15 goals in 81 games last year. I think we here in St. Louis have a much greater opinion of his value then the rest of the league.

Take Cole out of the deal, get them to throw in a pick and..............

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm disgusted at the way that it seems the youth is being thrown to the wayside. This is a major reason why I gave up on being a Yankees fan. I was sick and tired of them pissing away the opportunity to play their young, talented farm players in favor of overpaid primadonnas.

Though this team hasn't quite reached the level of pissing away all the young talent, I can't help but think that we'll soon be comparing Perron/Berglund/Pietrangelo to something along the lines of Snow/Buhner/Drabek. They're just guys who will experience success somewhere else.

Of course I have absolutely no interest in giving up on being a Blues fan. That is one major difference.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

This is all part of the plan that JD laid out when he got here. You cultivate young players, some of which you won't be able to keep, and you either let them go for nothing, or try to spin them to other teams for prime-aged players to put you over the top. The only thing is that I don't think Eric Staal is the one to do that, however, the guy was a force in last year's playoffs, so it's not like we'd be getting some has been player.

But this is all moot as it hasn't happened yet. And usually rumors like this don't turn out to be true. Now if this were Kovalchuk we were talking about...I'd be just plain' giddy.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I am with you on this one dmiles. I would love to have Kovalchuk. I am curious to wait for the pre-game show tonight to see if they will say anything about this.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote:Kovalchuk we were talking about...I'd be just plain' giddy.

I called another season ticket holder the minute I heard this and said the same thing (about Kovalchuk).

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

As much as I love perroni think it's a little early to say he will be scoring a 100 points a season and Cole or even Petro to be perrenial all stars. And I'm not sure how you can say we are throwing all our youthto the wayside, other than all these rumors. And Staal is o ly 25 and is a perrenial all star. I'm not saying I agree with the trade, I'm just saying..
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

How about we get rid of Andy Murray first and see if that has any effect on the team? If they still continue to tank then start trading. Though I would start with trying to unload the vets before the kids.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

dmiles2186 wrote:This is all part of the plan that JD laid out when he got here. You cultivate young players, some of which you won't be able to keep, and you either let them go for nothing, or try to spin them to other teams for prime-aged players to put you over the top.
Exactly -- all players are assets, whether they play for you in the future or not. As long as they don't walk away as UFA, they're currency...

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:How about we get rid of Andy Murray first and see if that has any effect on the team? If they still continue to tank then start trading. Though I would start with trying to unload the vets before the kids.
Yes.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I heard we were trading for Bertuzzi.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

goon attack wrote:I heard we were trading for Bertuzzi.
Somebody with a sack that will stand in front on the net. :okman:
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

beat2life
Rookie
Rookie

Post by beat2life »

ViPeRx007 wrote:How about we get rid of Andy Murray first and see if that has any effect on the team? If they still continue to tank then start trading. Though I would start with trying to unload the vets before the kids.
!!!! Seriously. Perron is one of the few players on Blues I'm really excited about. I'd hate to see him go somewhere else and make everyone regret trading him. I'm not blaming Murray 100%, but seriously when this many players look like shit at the same time he's gotta hold a little of the blame. Ditch him, find someone with a system that will better suit the talent we have and go from there.

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: Eric Staal to the Blues...??

Post by Sweetred95ta »

I seriously doubt the trade would just be DP, Cole, and Petro. To aquire Staal, we would have to send salary back to Carolina, and those 3 guys don't make shit compared to Staal. We'd have to include Kariya.
I love hockey. Period.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Sweetred95ta wrote:I seriously doubt the trade would just be DP, Cole, and Petro. To aquire Staal, we would have to send salary back to Carolina, and those 3 guys don't make shit compared to Staal. We'd have to include Kariya.
With where Carolina is in the standings and with what Staal makes and how he is playing this year, the Canes would take Perron, Cole and Petro in a heartbeat for Staal.

If that were actually an offer for Staal...I'd want Carolina to pick up some of Staal's salary.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

cprice12 wrote:With where Carolina is in the standings and with what Staal makes and how he is playing this year, the Canes would take Perron, Cole and Petro in a heartbeat for Staal.

If that were actually an offer for Staal...I'd want Carolina to pick up some of Staal's salary.
I completely agree with you. I was just pointing out the differences in salary, but I didn't think about Carolina picking up some of Staal's salary to help offset things (good point). I, too, think Carolina would jump on this if they could (unfortunately). I just really don't want to see Perron leave. He's got so much potential.
I love hockey. Period.

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Sweetred95ta wrote:
cprice12 wrote:With where Carolina is in the standings and with what Staal makes and how he is playing this year, the Canes would take Perron, Cole and Petro in a heartbeat for Staal.

I completely agree with you. I was just pointing out the differences in salary, but I didn't think about Carolina picking up some of Staal's salary to help offset things (good point). I, too, think Carolina would jump on this if they could (unfortunately). I just really don't want to see Perron leave. He's got so much potential.
I thought salary relief like that wasn't allowed in the NHL currently?

Also, this team has a lot of young talent. If you look at the precedent set by the Blackhawks with Teows and Kane, the Blues will not be able to afford to resign everyone on the team.

I really like Eric Staal and would totally give up Perron/Petro for him. I just don't know if he's worth an 8m/year cap hit.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

TheoSqua wrote:
Sweetred95ta wrote:

Also, this team has a lot of young talent. If you look at the precedent set by the Blackhawks with Teows and Kane, the Blues will not be able to afford to resign everyone on the team.

I really like Eric Staal and would totally give up Perron/Petro for him. I just don't know if he's worth an 8m/year cap hit.

Teows + Kane are way better then any young talent we have not named Erik Johnson. Perron, Berglund and Oshie will eventual get some bucks, but none of them are likely to be all-stars.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

kodos wrote:
TheoSqua wrote:
Sweetred95ta wrote:

Teows + Kane are way better then any young talent we have not named Erik Johnson. Perron, Berglund and Oshie will eventual get some bucks, but none of them are likely to be all-stars.
Now, KOOOS. I think at least one of the "kid line" will emerge as an all star caliber player. That looked to be Berglund last year, but now Oshie and Perron seem much more likely to pan out big. With our luck, sadly, we will end up trading the one with the highest ceiling. :doh:
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Why not Boyes in the Staal deal instead of Perron? Boyes has value, he scored 40+ goals last season.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Why not Boyes in the Staal deal instead of Perron? Boyes has value, he scored 40+ goals last season.
Well, that was two years ago but right.. I would throw in boyes and a first with Petro instead of Perron. I don't care who it is as long as it isn't Perron and I'd rather get Kovalchuk but Staal can be pretty awesome too.