Do you think this hit is dirty?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Do you think this hit is dirty?

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

The player that makes this hit was suspended for the rest of the season. I know it's a hard hit, I know it is to the player's back, but the D turned into this one rather than protecting himself. I just can't say that this was anything out of the ordinary for hockey, but idk. Maybe the new glass is to blame - it's like see-through concrete imo?

[youtube][/youtube]
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Do you think this hit is dirty?

Post by kodos »

Looks clean to me.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

There wasn't any slow motion, but was his elbow up? If so, I can see some sort of suspension otherwise the play looked rather clean.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

Maybe two minutes for boarding, but there should be no suspension for that hit. It was a hard hit that the defenseman turned away from and put himself in a bad position. The forward had already committed to the check.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

I have seen the hit on another video and when they slow it down, he does get his elbow up and is what he hit the guy with. The rest of the season seems kinda of tough, listening to the CBC guys he got really fucked up.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

fractured skull. isn't that why they wear helmets?
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Christ that board never moved or anything. Looked like a hard clean hit. Maybe a 2 minute minor like someone said earlier, but he shouldn't get suspended over it.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

He probably wouldn't be suspended if he didn't hit the guy with his elbow and yeah those boards didn't have much give at all.

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

It looked like a pretty good hit. If he did get his elbow up, a small supsension would be in order, but not the whole season. I'd be pissed if I was that guy.
I love hockey. Period.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Defensemen do this crap all the time. When you're flying in there, they act like turning away at the last minute is going to make the forechecker say "Oh, okay, my bad, I won't hit you," and peel off or something. It's bull crap and players in general but especially dmen are doing it more and more. One of these guys is going to get himself killed one day because he's trying to draw a hitting from behind penalty instead of taking the hit correctly.

The dman did this to himself; take the hit with your shoulder and this won't happen. 2 minutes for boarding at most.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Prison Bull
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Prison Bull »

At worst a boarding major. OHL went overboard on the suspension. Rest of the season, effectively bans the overager from ever playing in the CHL. Unfortunate for Fanelli and I hope he recovers but he should have been more aware. That being said, Liambas should have eased up a bit.

One more thing - Blues SUCK! :wink:
kodos wrote:At least cancer kids have an end to look forward to.

#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by #1ELPBluzFan »

I know plenty of refs would have gone with a 5 and a game and that's it....suspension is overkill!
Mark P

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I can see where the natural reaction on seeing the hit it looks like its dirty. But seriously, what did this guy do wrong? He finished a check- plain and simple. At the last second, the dman turned away from the hit and because he did that, he caused himself grave injury.

I'm sorry- I'm not sympathetic here. Forecheckers should not be bound to be suspended when a dman decides he's going to turn away from a hit at the last second and then gets himself hurt as a result. Irregardless of the elbow, etc, the dman should not have taken the hit this way- plain and simple. IMO.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

That maybe true but the guy still shouldn't have led with his elbow like he did, his head doesn't drill the glass like it didn't breaking his orbital bone and fracturing his skull if the guy didn't lead with his elbow. Not saying he should be suspended forthe season but to say it isn't worthy of some punishment isn't right either.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

totally clean. the guy was sideways at the point of no return, a split second before he got hit.... he was spinning around and it just ended up strange... it's like the force of the hit spun him more and into the boards.

But this is the bullshit you get when people aren't allowed to protect their teammates by dropping the mitts and duking it out.

if this clown knew he'd get his ass beat, chances are he wouldn't make a hardcore run like this.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

section319 wrote:That maybe true but the guy still shouldn't have led with his elbow like he did, his head doesn't drill the glass like it didn't breaking his orbital bone and fracturing his skull if the guy didn't lead with his elbow. Not saying he should be suspended forthe season but to say it isn't worthy of some punishment isn't right either.
That's what I saw. I didn't see the elbow come up to hit the head, I saw (for some fucked up reason) the head come down to where the elbow was traveling. People do this all the time - put themselves in vulnerable positions instead of bracing for impact or standing into the check.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I don't think his elbow is up until the follow through. Anybody got a slow mo of this? It's hard to tell. From what I see, he makes elbow to shoulder contact, not elbow to head contact.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Yeah, you guys might be right, I spoke too soon. After looking at this video he does seem to hit him with his shoulder and his elbow hits him on the follow through.

The best look of it is around 40-45 seconds, no slow mo but not a bad look.
[youtube][/youtube]

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

His helmet flew out of position from the hit and his face hit the metal glass support. Sure, it was a wicked hit, but his helmet was just too loose... not a good idea for a d-man who is absorbing hits like this a dozen times per game.

I still don't think he went with an elbow to the head. It just doesn't look that way. But freeze frame right at the 44-45 second mark, between the hit and when his face hits the glass... his helmet is way out of position before he hits the glass. That's not on Liambis... but he's being sacrificed so the league looks like it's doing something about this kind of thing... even though he's just doing his job forechecking. But he's a goon so nobody cares.

My final analysis is that the hit was totally clean and that Fanelli's helmet was being worn improperly... AND that the OHL is full of shit by suspending him AT ALL much less for the entire season.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

the hit doesn't look dirty to me. those type of hits happen every game.

from what i have been reading, the commish, David Branch has a history of overreacting with things like this once the media hears about how our violent sport has injured another person... :roll:

There is no way this deserved a season suspension.