GDT Game 1: 5/15/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Sharks | NBCSN/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT Game 1: 5/15/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Sharks | NBCSN/Y98

Post by Toasted Oates »

Don't want to get too confident; I know better by now. But the Sharks are never going to have it better than they had it in the 2nd period. Considering that, Game 1 was a bad ass win.

7 more.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Even with the Sharks dominating zone play in the 2nd period... how many odd man breaks did the Blues give up in this game? How many odd man breaks did the Sharks allow? The difference is quite large in favor of the Blues... and this is with the Blues, per Hitchcock, not playing with enough emotional intensity. Good win! Looking forward to the next one.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:Even with the Sharks dominating zone play in the 2nd period... how many odd man breaks did the Blues give up in this game? How many odd man breaks did the Sharks allow? The difference is quite large in favor of the Blues... and this is with the Blues, per Hitchcock, not playing with enough emotional intensity. Good win! Looking forward to the next one.
Elliott was a beast and we got a bit of a break on a soft goal. That was the difference in the game. Even Backes in the post game interview admitted they didn't play their best and a bit fortunate to escape with the W. Always more fun to learn from a win than to learn from a loss though.

I gotta tell you, the bounces have gone the Blues way virtually this entire playoff season. It's been unbelievable.

I would fully expect that this series also goes 7.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

WaukeeBlues wrote: I gotta tell you, the bounces have gone the Blues way virtually this entire playoff season. It's been unbelievable.
I wouldn't say that. It seems like every game we get a goal disallowed for something. And in the Blackhawks series, the officiating was definitely against us.

But we are getting more bounces than we usually do. And so far, that seems to be a huge difference. :letsgoblues:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Sharks coach seems like a whiny baby - begging for penalty calls in upcoming games, talking about how the Sharks travel more than anyone else, etc.

:bert:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Portland Blues wrote:Sharks coach seems like a whiny baby - begging for penalty calls in upcoming games, talking about how the Sharks travel more than anyone else, etc.

If he's complaining about travel, he shouldn't have taken a hockey coaching gig in Cali-friggin-fornia.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Portland Blues wrote:Sharks coach seems like a whiny baby - begging for penalty calls in upcoming games, talking about how the Sharks travel more than anyone else, etc.

DeBoer is being DeBitch
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Yyyyyep!
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Elliott was a beast and we got a bit of a break on a soft goal. That was the difference in the game.
Meh, I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong, but their goal seemed pretty fluky.

As for bounces going someone's way and DeBoer's bitching-it's just stuff you notice when you're not winning. Like the Blues' goaltending in recent playoffs, which has always been just average, not bad. But you notice it wasn't great when your summer starts in late April. Consider DeBoer: his team had more power plays and the Blues had a goal overturned. What more could he have expected from the officials? Nothing (and he should be more concerned about the puck that went right through his hologram goalie) but since his team lost, here we are. While in reality, the Blues averaged less than 1 more minor penalty per game than the Sharks this season.