Scoreboard Watching

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Scoreboard Watching

Post by Oaklandblue »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Hawks play Minny tonight. Kane has started taking slapshots and Q has hinted he could be back for round 1. Nothing official but Hawks nation is buzzing about it.

That would be pretty amazing if he did because he wasn't projected to come back till round 3.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Toasted Oates wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Quick didn't play tonight?!!?!?! Is he hurt? That's the only viable explanation Sutter could give. You have to use Quick in a must win game.
Can't find a quote from Sutter but I agree. Whether or not you're giving Quick a breather for the Calgary game or Bernier should be able to handle the Oilers, your money goalie has to start in a game like that.
I apologize. Martin Jones got the start. Here's Sutter's excuse:
“I think all of it. I mean, look at our schedule lately and what we still have left. Tonight’s three-in-four, the next one’s four-in-[six], and we play an afternoon game on Saturday, so you know what? You’ve got to use ‘em both. Jonesy played really well in Minnesota, and he had a strong game tonight. It certainly wasn’t an easy decision. It wasn’t a decision that was made yesterday. It was one we made a few days ago.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 47718.html
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

April 7 cleared the board in a lot of ways...

Kings miss the playoffs if the Flamers can beat them in regulation tomorrow night. Biggest game of the year for both teams.

Sens now tied for the last playoff spot. Sens and Kings holding up everyone else to clinch... I would be SO happy if the Kings and Pens missed the playoffs, that'd make me laugh. Sadly I think the Dead Things will find a way to make it in. Looking like they will.

How pissed are you if you're an Oilers fan? Sat at #30 or #29 all year only to have the team win some games down the stretch and now the Sabres and 'Yotes have "clinced" the bottom 2 spots in the NHL, just depends which order they finish which will be huge.

I'd be nervous if I'm a Sabres fan. I'd be beyond pissed if my team won one of these last two games (or god forbid both of them), don't finish dead last, don't get the guaranteed top 2 spot, someone else gets it and you fall to #3. I'd lose it. I'd light something on fire.

This is one of those rare times I might go in as a GM or owner into the locker room before the next game, shut off all recording devices, have all my guys sign confidentiality agreements and order them "DO NOT WIN THIS GAME. I will do anything legal I possibly can to ruin you if you blow it." :lol:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

WaukeeBlues wrote: This is one of those rare times I might go in as a GM or owner into the locker room before the next game, shut off all recording devices, have all my guys sign confidentiality agreements and order them "DO NOT WIN THIS GAME. I will do anything legal I possibly can to ruin you if you blow it." :lol:
Best way to 'tank' a game would be to bring up a new goalie from your farm system and start him. Also maybe a few other kids as the D-men, basically giving the game away without being obvious. I believe the NHL should change the rules to avoid teams from wanting to lose to get the best draft pick. Draft order should be a lottery system like the NBA whereby the lowest ranking teams gets the most 'balls' in the pot while other non-playoff teams get a ball(s) as well. I remember when Orlando had only 1 ball in the pot and it came up and they got the first round pick - this was about 20 years ago.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: This is one of those rare times I might go in as a GM or owner into the locker room before the next game, shut off all recording devices, have all my guys sign confidentiality agreements and order them "DO NOT WIN THIS GAME. I will do anything legal I possibly can to ruin you if you blow it." :lol:
Best way to 'tank' a game would be to bring up a new goalie from your farm system and start him. Also maybe a few other kids as the D-men, basically giving the game away without being obvious. I believe the NHL should change the rules to avoid teams from wanting to lose to get the best draft pick. Draft order should be a lottery system like the NBA whereby the lowest ranking teams gets the most 'balls' in the pot while other non-playoff teams get a ball(s) as well. I remember when Orlando had only 1 ball in the pot and it came up and they got the first round pick - this was about 20 years ago.
I'm still not convinced that tanking is actually a problem. But, somebody here a year or two ago came up with an interesting idea to counter it. Once a team is eliminated, they start accumulating points toward draft position. So, if a team is eliminated on March 20th, every point from March 21st til the end of the season, counts toward their draft position. The weaker teams have an advantage of more games to get the most points, but they have incentive to win instead of tank.

I think that's an interesting way to address it, but as I said, I"m not sure it's an actual problem.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
I'm still not convinced that tanking is actually a problem. But, somebody here a year or two ago came up with an interesting idea to counter it. Once a team is eliminated, they start accumulating points toward draft position. So, if a team is eliminated on March 20th, every point from March 21st til the end of the season, counts toward their draft position. The weaker teams have an advantage of more games to get the most points, but they have incentive to win instead of tank.

I think that's an interesting way to address it, but as I said, I"m not sure it's an actual problem.
That was Winning Unlimited who came up with that. I think he actually used it as the basis for his Master's Thesis or something similar. It was a very well-organized theory and framework.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
That's exactly what the NHL IS doing and the final step in the 3(?) year process kicks in next season. As it sits, there is a VERY real possibility that the last overall team doesn't get the first overall pick (80% odds they don't) but the kicker is that you can't drop more than one spot in the draft. So in other words, the first overall is up for grabs but everything else is allocated to ranking. In the very rare situation like we have this season where the top TWO guys are generational players, the only way to guarantee you snag one is to finish dead last.

Next season that goes away and the top THREE picks are subject to the lottery. So starting next season you can finish dead last in the NHL and conceivably not draft until 4th overall. Goes to what you're talking about: taking away the incentive to lose at the end of the year. This year is about the last time a team can "tank" and benefit from it.

Clicky!

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

WaukeeBlues wrote: That's exactly what the NHL IS doing and the final step in the 3(?) year process kicks in next season. As it sits, there is a VERY real possibility that the last overall team doesn't get the first overall pick (80% odds they don't) but the kicker is that you can't drop more than one spot in the draft. So in other words, the first overall is up for grabs but everything else is allocated to ranking. In the very rare situation like we have this season where the top TWO guys are generational players, the only way to guarantee you snag one is to finish dead last.

Next season that goes away and the top THREE picks are subject to the lottery. So starting next season you can finish dead last in the NHL and conceivably not draft until 4th overall. Goes to what you're talking about: taking away the incentive to lose at the end of the year. This year is about the last time a team can "tank" and benefit from it.

Clicky!
Interesting - I wasn't aware the NHL was changing it but I like that. Games should always be on the up and up. The team that has tanked most obviously this season to me would be the Arizona Coyotes. They weren't that bad a team before the fire sale took place.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Well done, Braden Holtby!!!

180 minutes of shutout hockey vs the Bruins this season alone.

Of course, he went 1-2 last season vs the Bruins surrendering 8 goals in those games.

Never know what you are going to get from one season to the next.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Nashville got screwed last night also on a disallowed goal.

Nashville scores a go-ahead goal.
The call "incidental contact" with the goaltender and disallow the goal.

It's at 18:22 of the 3rd period,

Varlamov is on one his left post. He slides across, outside the crease, falls down and he hits the Nashville player who is nowhere near the crease, not even looking at he goalie. Varlomov falls initiating the contact outside his crease with the Nashville player and it results in a "no-goal" for "incidental contact"????

Nonsense.

I know it benefitted the Blues, but horse-shit calls are horse-shit calls.

As of now, I can name for officials I hope never officiate a playoff game:

Graham Skilliter, Steve Scozari, Mike Leggo, and Greg Kimmerly
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

3 games last night (Wednesday, Apr 8th), 3 shutouts:

Columbus 5, Toronto 0
Washington 3, Boston 0
Dallas 4, Anaheim 0

Glad the Ducks lost. 1st Place in the West is still possible.

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

gaijin wrote:3 games last night (Wednesday, Apr 8th), 3 shutouts:

Columbus 5, Toronto 0
Washington 3, Boston 0
Dallas 4, Anaheim 0

I was looking at the possibility for 1st overall in the West this morning since the Ducks lost last night. With a win tonight, we will tie them for ROW's but the tie breaking procedure is still unclear to me. Does the next tie breaker category fall to who won the most games between the two clubs? ...if so, we lose that tie breaker and must win out and hope they falter.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

The Flake wrote:
gaijin wrote:3 games last night (Wednesday, Apr 8th), 3 shutouts:

Columbus 5, Toronto 0
Washington 3, Boston 0
Dallas 4, Anaheim 0

I was looking at the possibility for 1st overall in the West this morning since the Ducks lost last night. With a win tonight, we will tie them for ROW's but the tie breaking procedure is still unclear to me. Does the next tie breaker category fall to who won the most games between the two clubs? ...if so, we lose that tie breaker and must win out and hope they falter.
We can't win a tiebreaker against the Ducks. 1st tiebreaker is ROWs. We're down 42-40 in ROWs, so we'd have to win out (w/o a SO win) and they'd have to win game 82 in a shootout for us to tie in both points and ROWs. But, next tiebreaker is H2H and they have 4 points to our 2.

If we want to pass them, we need 3 points and a regulation Anaheim loss or 4 points and any Anaheim loss.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

The Flake wrote:I was looking at the possibility for 1st overall in the West this morning since the Ducks lost last night. With a win tonight, we will tie them for ROW's but the tie breaking procedure is still unclear to me. Does the next tie breaker category fall to who won the most games between the two clubs? ...if so, we lose that tie breaker and must win out and hope they falter.
Here's the offical rules for Tie Breakers:
If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout (NEW for 2010-11). This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
The Flake wrote:I was looking at the possibility for 1st overall in the West this morning since the Ducks lost last night. With a win tonight, we will tie them for ROW's but the tie breaking procedure is still unclear to me. Does the next tie breaker category fall to who won the most games between the two clubs? ...if so, we lose that tie breaker and must win out and hope they falter.
If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout (NEW for 2010-11). This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.
My ONLY critique of the tie-breaking system (because I generally like it) is how "Goals for" could conceivably come into play. Granted, it's probably extremely rare for a tie-breaking procedure to get to #4 but still, it encourages a team to run up the score on a blowout. I think it should just be goals against that are calculated.

You're up 5-1 against a team in the 3rd period, middle of the season, you as coach have no idea what could possibly happen at the end of the season, "Hey boys, go for it! Score another one! Two if you can!"

I doubt it probably happens but it's a rule-based reason for a coach to run up the score. Just sayin

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
My ONLY critique of the tie-breaking system (because I generally like it) is how "Goals for" could conceivably come into play. Granted, it's probably extremely rare for a tie-breaking procedure to get to #4 but still, it encourages a team to run up the score on a blowout. I think it should just be goals against that are calculated.

You're up 5-1 against a team in the 3rd period, middle of the season, you as coach have no idea what could possibly happen at the end of the season, "Hey boys, go for it! Score another one! Two if you can!"

I doubt it probably happens but it's a rule-based reason for a coach to run up the score. Just sayin
I don't mind goal differential, because it makes you accountable for every single goal (for or against) when it comes down to it at the end of the season. It's what most soccer leagues/tournaments use and it's perfect. On the flip side, if you are getting trounced, scoring those late meaningless goals aren't so meaningless. Just gives teams an incentive to play out the entire game, regardless of how lopsided the score is.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Hawks lose in regulation (thanks to the Blues 8) ) and Nashville loses in regulation to Minnesota.

The Division is ours. :letsgoblues:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

So theoretically, if Minnesota wins their last game (against us :( ) and Chicago loses their last game, they would be tied for points, but Minny has the ROW tiebreaker- they would be 3rd in the Division.

Assuming Anaheim stays #1 in the West... we could play Chicago in Round 1.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

LA is out... :bluecool:
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

So if the Ducks lose (OT or reg) and the Blues beat Minny they would play Minny in the 21st round. If the Blues lose to Minny and Chicago loses to the Avs then the Blues play the Hawks.

So it's either the Stars or the Hawks if Anaheim wins the West. If the Blues win the West they play Winnipeg.