Round One : St. Louis Blues v Minnesota Wild

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Round One : St. Louis Blues v Minnesota Wild

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

If you guys read other Blues forums you'll see that other people are upset about the start times too.

And theo, we can only vote ONCE not 8 times!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

We will sweep the Wild. For what they got in top drawer netminding and elite players we make up for with solid, balanced depth and players turning the corner at the right time. They are no match for the STL line, but say they someone get around that, we got three other lines to throw at them, that ain't taking shit from nobody.

I'm also going to call here and now that Bortuzzo and Joker are going to be clutch for us.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

JesusISKing
Prospect
Prospect

Post by JesusISKing »

Hi!
New here to the boards. Just a simple hockey fan here. Question for all you Blues fans...who is gonna be the starter in net for you guys. I'm in a playoff pool and I'm looking at goalies. I know Elliot and Allen split time during the regular season. Does Hitch intend on rotating goalies during the playoffs or his gonna stick with jsut one netminder? What is your collective gut feeling? thanks for your input.

have a great day.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

JesusISKing wrote:Hi!
New here to the boards. Just a simple hockey fan here. Question for all you Blues fans...who is gonna be the starter in net for you guys. I'm in a playoff pool and I'm looking at goalies. I know Elliot and Allen split time during the regular season. Does Hitch intend on rotating goalies during the playoffs or his gonna stick with jsut one netminder? What is your collective gut feeling? thanks for your input.

have a great day.
Trolling the troll? :lol:

JesusISKing
Prospect
Prospect

Post by JesusISKing »

gaijin wrote:

have a great day.
Not really and not my intent. I just want to know what the goalie situation is for the Blues for the playoffs. Is Hitch rotating them or not?

thanks (glad I made you laugh though)

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Minnesota seems to be a popular pick for the WC team that can make a deep run, and I think a lot of that is based on Dubnyk's play. But we also know that Dubnyk, for the majority of his career, has essentially been a dumpster fire. So which is the real Dubnyk? I'm not taking Minnesota lightly, not at all. Anyone in the West can win, I really believe that. But I also feel that we have a deeper, more physical team, and the better coach. My optimism may also be aided by the way we played them on Saturday, because prior to that, I was really down on this matchup.

Nonetheless, I'm ready to get this ball rolling.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:Minnesota seems to be a popular pick for the WC team that can make a deep run, and I think a lot of that is based on Dubnyk's play. But we also know that Dubnyk, for the majority of his career, has essentially been a dumpster fire. So which is the real Dubnyk? I'm not taking Minnesota lightly, not at all. Anyone in the West can win, I really believe that. But I also feel that we have a deeper, more physical team, and the better coach. My optimism may also be aided by the way we played them on Saturday, because prior to that, I was really down on this matchup.

I think if Minnesota had beaten us last Saturday in a convincing fashion, a lot more people would be picking them for an upset. As it is, the way we played them while not even dressing Backes, Oshie, Petro, and Shatty makes me confident we can put them away with a full team, even with Dubnyk in net.

Bring it on. :letsgoblues:

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

gaijin wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Minnesota seems to be a popular pick for the WC team that can make a deep run, and I think a lot of that is based on Dubnyk's play. But we also know that Dubnyk, for the majority of his career, has essentially been a dumpster fire. So which is the real Dubnyk? I'm not taking Minnesota lightly, not at all. Anyone in the West can win, I really believe that. But I also feel that we have a deeper, more physical team, and the better coach. My optimism may also be aided by the way we played them on Saturday, because prior to that, I was really down on this matchup.

I think if Minnesota had beaten us last Saturday in a convincing fashion, a lot more people would be picking them for an upset. As it is, the way we played them while not even dressing Backes, Oshie, Petro, and Shatty makes me confident we can put them away with a full team, even with Dubnyk in net.

The Wild rested more players than the Blues including key cogs in their offense AND defense. That was hardly the full Wild lineup. The Wild went 2-1 against the Blues with their full lineup.

If you look at it objectively the Wild match up very well against the Blues with both teams at full strength.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
gaijin wrote:

The Wild rested more players than the Blues including key cogs in their offense AND defense. That was hardly the full Wild lineup. The Wild went 2-1 against the Blues with their full lineup.
No. The Wild did not rest more players than the Blues.
The Wild rested Koivu, Fontaine, Suter and Spurgeon.
The Blues rested Backes, Pietrangelo, Oshie, Shattenkirk & Ott (and Allen if he gets the game #1 start)
The quality of players the Blues rested exceeded that of the Wild.
If you look at it objectively the Wild match up very well against the Blues with both teams at full strength.
If you look at it objectively, the Blues are the better team and they SHOULD win this series. If the Blues fail to win this series, heads will roll.

This is not a knock on the Wild, they have had a great run, but they simply aren't as deep of a team as the Blues, the Blues have more firepower and better overall special teams. It wouldn't surprise me if the Wild are held to under 10% on the PP in the series.
Dubnyk will have to play out of his mind for them to have a chance at winning this series. I don't know if he has it in him. He has been great since January, but how long can he keep it up? And can he keep that high level of play going in the playoffs?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

JesusISKing wrote:
gaijin wrote:

have a great day.
Not really and not my intent. I just want to know what the goalie situation is for the Blues for the playoffs. Is Hitch rotating them or not?

Just one thing, that word in your handle: "is"-that implies existence, right?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Unquestionably, the Blues have to score. We averaged 1.9 something goals per game against the Blackhawks last season in the playoffs. While true that this is a more defensive-minded matchup than against the Hawks, we still have to put the puck in the net more than we did against the Hawks last season. And they need to be more TIMELY goals too.

I'm infinitely more optimistic this playoff year than last. The Lehtera and Stastny signings have given us the depth at center that simply didn't exist last year that immediately put the Blues at a matchup disadvantage against whoever we would've played, obviously the Blackhawks included. Those two signings have been season-altering. We also didn't know what we'd get from Lehtera and I, for one, am immensely impressed.

That also doesn't count the end to the year headed into the playoffs. Last year, I truly didn't know what I was going to see in game 1 vs. the Hawks. I half expected to see the same team that dropped 6 straight to end the year and cough up the central title.

Long story short: This team has been accused, from everyone, from lacking that killer instinct. The ability to win games when our backs are against the wall, finish teams off when we have the chance to in the playoffs, and score timely goals. This playoff year is going to answer that question. We have the depth at center. We have the depth at defense. We have scorers on the wings. Goaltending is the ONLY thing. Even there, there's no more excuses.

I agree with Curt: We don't win this series against the Wild... and heads roll. Dubnyk or not.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JesusISKing
Prospect
Prospect

Post by JesusISKing »

ecbm wrote:
JesusISKing wrote:
gaijin wrote:

have a great day.

Just one thing, that word in your handle: "is"-that implies existence, right?
It sure does! :)

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Minny's PP is atrocious so I'd like to see the Blues come out of the gates hitting HARD and turning up the intimidation factor big time in our first two games. I wanna see some hatred.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

There is no freaking way the Blues let Minnesota advance. No way Stewie makes it farther than the Blues.

NO FREAKING WAY!!!
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

TSN's Analytics Predictions
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-playoff-picks-tim ... g-1.255002
ST. LOUIS BLUES vs. MINNESOTA WILD
The Pick: Blues in seven.
Why? Much like last year's Los Angeles-San Jose first round, this has the feel of a possible Cup run for the winner and a bitter loss for the team that finishes second in the series. Minnesota's season turned dramatically once they added goaltender Devan Dubnyk, but they have a solid lineup, top to bottom, too. However, the Blues are probably the top team of skaters heading into the postseason, with high-end talent, experience and depth throughout, with their biggest question coming in goal. If Jake Allen or Brian Elliott can hold their own, the Blues may well be the best the Western Conference has to offer.
They go on to say...
- St. Louis over Chicago
- Then St. Louis over Winnipeg
- Then St. Louis over Tampa Bay and the Blues are Stanley Cup Champions.
- Allen will be the 3rd best goalie in the playoffs
- Dubnyk will be the 9th best goalie in the playoffs
- Tarasenko will be the 2nd leading scorer in the playoffs behind Stamkos.
- 7 of the top 11 scorers will be Blues players

I like TSN. 8)
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cprice12 wrote:TSN's Analytics Predictions
Why? Much like last year's Los Angeles-San Jose first round, this has the feel of a possible Cup run for the winner and a bitter loss for the team that finishes second in the series. Minnesota's season turned dramatically once they added goaltender Devan Dubnyk, but they have a solid lineup, top to bottom, too. However, the Blues are probably the top team of skaters heading into the postseason, with high-end talent, experience and depth throughout, with their biggest question coming in goal. If Jake Allen or Brian Elliott can hold their own, the Blues may well be the best the Western Conference has to offer.
They go on to say...
- St. Louis over Chicago

I like TSN. 8)
I was watching a Puck Daddy video last week on Yahoo, and the Blues are Wyshynski's pick from the West and for the Cup as well, which pleasantly surprised me.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

gaijin wrote:
cprice12 wrote:TSN's Analytics Predictions
They go on to say...
- St. Louis over Chicago

I like TSN. 8)
I was watching a Puck Daddy video last week on Yahoo, and the Blues are Wyshynski's pick from the West and for the Cup as well, which pleasantly surprised me.
Buccigross picked the Blues to win it all as well...but he has done that before...a few times.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Da Wild and Da Note! It's gonna be one helluva Da series! :grin:
I was lurking on HF boards to see what the Minny fans were saying. All of a sudden, I noticed a post that included some familiar tendencies. This poster's handle is BladesofSTEELwFIRE:
You know the Blues are one of the biggest CHOKE jobs in the playoffs in NHL history? They have never won a Cup, not been to one since the 60s, and haven't even won a 2nd round game in 13 years!
That you, champ?

Blues in 6
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Toasted Oates wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Da Wild and Da Note! It's gonna be one helluva Da series! :grin:
I was lurking on HF boards to see what the Minny fans were saying. All of a sudden, I noticed a post that included some familiar tendencies. This poster's handle is BladesofSTEELwFIRE:
You know the Blues are one of the biggest CHOKE jobs in the playoffs in NHL history? They have never won a Cup, not been to one since the 60s, and haven't even won a 2nd round game in 13 years!
That you, champ?

Blues in 6
Things that make you go Hmmm...
JesusNEVERexisted wrote: I signed up but my username is already ColdSteelonIce. That's ok, right? Unless you want me to change it and tell me how because it won't let me.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

gaijin wrote:
Toasted Oates wrote:
That you, champ?

Blues in 6
Things that make you go Hmmm...
JesusNEVERexisted wrote: I signed up but my username is already ColdSteelonIce. That's ok, right? Unless you want me to change it and tell me how because it won't let me.
LetsGoBlues.com ... we are also internet sleuths.

You can not hide. We will find you.

:lol:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO