GDT #75: 3/22/12 > Blues @ Kings > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #75: 3/22/12 > Blues @ Kings > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:It's frustrating the Blues have lost several games lately, but JR tweeted that Steen and D'ags took off the no contact jerseys. Help is on its way.
That's really good news. Something seems odd about it though. All 3 of our guys our with concussions are coincidentally over their symptoms right as the playoffs are starting? With McDonald's injury, it makes sense to "schedule" him to be back for the playoffs. Give him a bunch of rest and however much he improves is good enough to play in the post-season.

But, concussions are different. You don't just say we're going to give him X amount of time and bring him back. There are the baseline tests and whatnot that have to be passed. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but it seems rather convenient that they are finally healthy right as the playoffs are starting. If the playoffs started in May instead of April, would the be coming back right now?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:It's frustrating the Blues have lost several games lately, but JR tweeted that Steen and D'ags took off the no contact jerseys. Help is on its way.
That's really good news. Something seems odd about it though. All 3 of our guys our with concussions are coincidentally over their symptoms right as the playoffs are starting? With McDonald's injury, it makes sense to "schedule" him to be back for the playoffs. Give him a bunch of rest and however much he improves is good enough to play in the post-season.

But, concussions are different. You don't just say we're going to give him X amount of time and bring him back. There are the baseline tests and whatnot that have to be passed. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but it seems rather convenient that they are finally healthy right as the playoffs are starting. If the playoffs started in May instead of April, would the be coming back right now?

At least with Steen there is something easy to point to. Clearly his recent visit out west really helped the situation.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

At least with Steen there is something easy to point to. Clearly his recent visit out west really helped the situation.
That's true. It just seems conveniently timed.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

I'm guessing the lockstep improvement in their conditions has more to do with scheduling - how often do you think they schedule baseline tests? I'm guessing that when you have N guys recovering from concussions on similar timetables, they go through the tests around the same time.

As far as them coming back too soon, if anything, I'd guess the blues are being extra cautious and bringing them back later than they might have otherwise due to the relatively high seed being all but locked up.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

drwoland wrote:I'm guessing the lockstep improvement in their conditions has more to do with scheduling - how often do you think they schedule baseline tests? I'm guessing that when you have N guys recovering from concussions on similar timetables, they go through the tests around the same time.

As far as them coming back too soon, if anything, I'd guess the blues are being extra cautious and bringing them back later than they might have otherwise due to the relatively high seed being all but locked up.
Bingo.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.