Defense rumors

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Defense rumors

Post by glen a richter »

What is this bullshit Rutherford is peddling? Zdeno Chara is absolutely not a need for this team.

I do like the idea of prying Scotty Mayfield away from the Islanders though, that would fill a need for sure.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Defense rumors

Post by gaijin »

The Blues defense definitely did not impress me last season, but at the same time, the top 4 is already pretty expensive: Parayko (3.35 mil), Faulk (9 mil), Scandella (2.7 mil), Krug (4 mil).

So I don't know. Would Chara even make the Blues' defense better at his age? What would he cost? Would he pull a Kariya/Selanne and take $1 mil to play with Krug again?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:41 pm
What is this bullshit Rutherford is peddling? Zdeno Chara is absolutely not a need for this team.

I do like the idea of prying Scotty Mayfield away from the Islanders though, that would fill a need for sure.
Yea Chara has already said if he's coming back it's on the East Coast to be closer to his family so that's not going to happen.

Islanders fans went ballistic in the comments on The Athletic at the mere suggestion that Mayfield could be in play. True fans don't know everything but that kind of raw, visceral reaction tells me he's pretty highly valued by the Islanders.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Mayfield is like Ian Cole in his prime with the Penguins. When he's on your team, you see what he provides that doesn't always show up on stats sheets. The Blues haven't really had a comparable defenseman over the past 6-8 years except maybe Edmundson or Bortuzzo, but to me Mayfield is actually better defensively than both. Were that trade to happen, which isn't likely, Bortuzzo would become the odd-man out on the right side, while Berube would wind up struggling to get Mayfield enough ice time behind Faulk and Parayko (assuming Parayko returns to form). Mayfield easily slots in as a 2nd pairing d-man - like Edmundson was, but on the opposite side - as the defensive defenseman. He would temporarily solve the Right-Handed defensive depth situation while creating an ice time conundrum.

The bigger issue for the Islanders, they don't have someone ready to step into that 2nd pairing RD role.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

at least Chara has a pair, unlike 80% of this team
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller