Tarasenko requesting a trade

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Tarasenko requesting a trade

Post by theohall »

Not sold on Tatar anymore. Especially after he was healthy scratched by the Canadiens for the majority of the most recent playoffs. Even if one pro-rates his stats from last season (82 GP 16G 33A), when he turned 30, it was a regression statistically compared to his prior 7 seasons. His first full season in Detroit and the year he was traded to Vegas are the only two worse seasons. We'll see if the regression continues or if he rounds back into form, but he looks like the classic 30 yo winger hitting the wall. He's going to get an opportunity in NJ with their young centers, but he had the same opportunity in Montreal playing almost 15 minutes/night, and wasn't getting it done, especially when it mattered most with his whopping 5GP, 0G, 1A, and 1SOG in the 20-21 playoffs. For a scoring winger, 1 SOG in 5 games is flat out awful!! IMO, NJ is going to regret paying him that much.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

At this point I think the best plan is to keep Tarasenko. Just because he requested a trade doesn’t mean it has to happen. Screw him, maybe playing with Buch will reignite him and maybe his shoulder is finally better with a proper offseason to rehab and do what he has to do. Unless Army can get someone really (Franking) good this team is worse off without him, but with him they can put together four good lines to roll which, again, is really important.

If he still wants to be moved after the season then fine, build up his value with a strong season, but I think he’ll get over his hurt feelings if he gets to play on a line with Buch. Other than getting Thomas signed I think Army is done for the offseason.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Barring some team losing a scorer to an injury, I think we start the year with tank. (Probably 22 skaters to keep us cap compliant)

The good news about keeping tank is, you put him on a line with Buch and Schenn, you can call that line the Russchenns. /wah wah
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

JCShutout wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:56 pm
Barring some team losing a scorer to an injury, I think we start the year with tank. (Probably 22 skaters to keep us cap compliant)

The good news about keeping tank is, you put him on a line with Buch and Schenn, you can call that line the Russchenns. /wah wah
:lol: :lol:

Love it
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

So....?

We're not trading him apparently?

I still feel like there's something going on with the Islanders. There has to be. Why would Lou be holding up on finishing his offseason (or more to the point, certain UFA's linked to the Isles: Parise, Cizikas, etc) if there wasn't something in the works?

Odd.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Without a similar contract coming back in trade - which would mean someone giving up a quality player in those cases, there is a limited number of teams to deal with: Coyotes, Rangers, Kraken, Blue Jackets, Canucks, Islanders, Devils, Hurricanes, Predators, Wild, Ducks, Red Wings, Senators, Sabres

At least the Islanders are in the middle of that list. This far into the off-season and training camps essentially 3 weeks away, it looks more and more like Tarasenko is only being traded if someone winds up having an injury situation just before the season starts.

Lamoriello waiting is smart on his part. Were something to happen, he has the space to do what he wishes, instead of being forced into making a deal. With only two RFA contracts left, the Isles are in a good spot. Of course, Beauvillier should wind up somewhere between 2.5M and 3M, while Sorokin is likely going to wind up around 2.25M due to the mandatory raise. Taking the high end, that's 5.25M, which puts them at a 6.67M cap figure. So a Tarasenko trade would have to include .83M coming back to the Blues - which is very possible. Even if Sorokin and Beauvillier get good deals, the Isles still have room to pretty much do what they want if there is one significant injury without taking on Tarasenko's 7.5M.

Nobody wants to take on a 7.5M contract of a shooter with a questionable shoulder whose had trouble shooting for 3 years (well 2 and a half). If Tarasenko isn't traded, we'll see how hard he plays, because the better he performs, the more marketable he becomes and if he wants out, he's likely going to have to show he can still perform - or wind up waiting for some team to get desperate.

Also, while Tarasenko does want out, he still has a full NTC and I don't see him accepting a trade to Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Arizona, Columbus or Anaheim.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Tarasenko for Schwartz? :lol:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

gaijin wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:46 pm
Tarasenko for Schwartz? :lol:
DO IT LARRY!!! :lol:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Lamoriello not waiting any longer, announced the signings that he had kept in his drawer all summer haha.

*sigh* I think it's really going to be Tarasenko showing up for camp. This will be fun...

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'd trade Tarasenko for Mayfield straight up. Retain some salary if you have to. Not trading Tarasenko seems to be the hold up in not signing Thomas. It's a big problem, I mean it's September 1st already for chrissake.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I'd trade Tarasenko for Mayfield being a Blues fan. Lamoriello won't. Again - the Isles don't have anyone to replace what Mayfield as an RHD provides. Pulock, Mayfield, Dobson. The Isles are like the Blues in there are almost no RD in the pipeline, especially with Dobson already being moved up. There's Bode Wilde who was really good when he was drafted, great his first year in juniors after the year he was drafted, but after an injury the following season hasn't returned to form.

I was way wrong on what Beavuillier and Sorokin actually got paid 4.15 and 4.00 AAV respectively. Given that, the Islanders aren't trading for Tarasenko without significant cap space coming back to the Blues. Mayfield doesn't cover that.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:36 pm
I'd trade Tarasenko for Mayfield being a Blues fan. Lamoriello won't. Again - the Isles don't have anyone to replace what Mayfield as an RHD provides. Pulock, Mayfield, Dobson. The Isles are like the Blues in there are almost no RD in the pipeline, especially with Dobson already being moved up. There's Bode Wilde who was really good when he was drafted, great his first year in juniors after the year he was drafted, but after an injury the following season hasn't returned to form.

I was way wrong on what Beavuillier and Sorokin actually got paid 4.15 and 4.00 AAV respectively. Given that, the Islanders aren't trading for Tarasenko without significant cap space coming back to the Blues. Mayfield doesn't cover that.
Yea no way they're trading Mayfield.

Isles are off the board as a potential trade destination I think, just about. With Boychuk on LTIR Isles have ~$3 million in cap space.

If Leo Komarov comes back the other way as a salary dump that makes it about $6. Blues would have to retain ~$1.5 of Tarasenko's salary for Isles to make it work, plus we'd presumably get picks/prospects as the "real" compensation.

But thus far Army reportedly isn't considering retaining any of Tarasenko's salary in any trade. Can't say I totally blame him.

The biggest obstacle is that cap hit. Teams generally don't have $7.5 in players that they're willing to part with. Or if they do, it's not anything Army wants coming back either (e.g. Jeff Skinner or Andrew Ladd).

Just hard to move a $7.5 contract.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

are we still "stuck" with the best goal scorer we've had in the last 10 years?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

glen a richter wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:13 pm
I'd trade Tarasenko for Mayfield straight up. Retain some salary if you have to. Not trading Tarasenko seems to be the hold up in not signing Thomas. It's a big problem, I mean it's September 1st already for chrissake.
honestly Thomas doesn't seem like he's got as much upside as I originally thought
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The Islanders are 100% off the table after signing Parise on Sep 10th. No idea of how much. CapFriendly still doesn't know.