The Drafts Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: The Drafts Thread

Post by cardsfan04 »

Apparently Pittsburgh is sending a pick to LV to make sure they take Fleury. I get that they have cap issues. But, couldn't they find a team that would give them something in a trade instead of giving up a pick themselves? Maybe Arizona, who just traded Smith, would give them a 5th rounder or something. That's a negligible return, but still better than having to send a pick themselves.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Vegas took Perron. Still no news on if the Blues were able to dump Lehtera on someone.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

thekortehaus
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by thekortehaus »

I can't stand Armstrong

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Wow, the Islanders gave up a fortune to protect some guys that didn't even put up 50 points last year.

Irish Blues
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Irish Blues »

theohall wrote:Vegas took Perron.
Good. Now we have a roster spot for someone who won't be shittacular in the playoffs.
theohall wrote:Still no news on if the Blues were able to dump Lehtera on someone.
It might happen, but it will probably mean taking on someone else's bad contract.
"You better get busy living, because dying's a pain in the ass." -- Frank Sinatra

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Since neither Gunnarsson nor Bortuzzo were selected, should it be safe to assume that Schmaltz, Dunn and Walman will not be seeing NHL time this year unless it's absolutely necessary due to injury? I was hoping Vegas would take Gunnarsson though it was obvious they'd take Perron.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:Since neither Gunnarsson nor Bortuzzo were selected, should it be safe to assume that Schmaltz, Dunn and Walman will not be seeing NHL time this year unless it's absolutely necessary due to injury? I was hoping Vegas would take Gunnarsson though it was obvious they'd take Perron.
Since neither Gunnarson nor Bortuzzo can stay healthy, but it's usually only one of them injured at a time, wouldn't be surprised if they kept Schmaltz as the 7th defenseman. Dunn and Walman more doubtful of seeing time.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:Apparently Pittsburgh is sending a pick to LV to make sure they take Fleury. I get that they have cap issues. But, couldn't they find a team that would give them something in a trade instead of giving up a pick themselves? Maybe Arizona, who just traded Smith, would give them a 5th rounder or something. That's a negligible return, but still better than having to send a pick themselves.
It was a late round pick IIRC. Vegas also probably didn't need much encouragement. Probably more so that the Pens didn't want any "surprises" after they'd essentially already told Fleury "it's been great, good luck to you" just to have Vegas not select him and then they're left awkwardly holding the bag.

Pens have $21 million in cap space for the rest of the offseason to play with. Crazy. Granted they only have 3 defensemen signed right now... :lol:
Irish Blues wrote:
theohall wrote:Vegas took Perron.
Good. Now we have a roster spot for someone who won't be shittacular in the playoffs.
theohall wrote:Still no news on if the Blues were able to dump Lehtera on someone.
It might happen, but it will probably mean taking on someone else's bad contract.
Okay but who's going to score in the regular season? This team was already hurting for offense as it was and another 18 goals just walked out of the door with no plan for how to replace it other than the rest of the team "stepping up"?

Armstrong needs to make a move for some offense somewhere. :notenough:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

We should be more concerned with the overall contribution from the bottom 6 than just Perron. The fact that we were only debating about which of two guys to leave unprotected while other teams were probably torn over about 5 or 6 shows what a horrible quagmire we're in. Losing Perron isn't the end of the world for this team, the fact that we have overall hideous secondary scoring is.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Pens have $21 million in cap space for the rest of the offseason to play with. Crazy. Granted they only have 3 defensemen signed right now... :lol:
Believe it or not, the Penguins had less space and fewer players signed prior to the 15-16 season...and still won the 2016 Cup. This is what forced their infusion of players on entry level contracts.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Draft day(s)!

What I'd do is sure up the LW a bit with Vesalainen and Ratcliffe in the 1st round. 2nd round I'm going to defense with Kasper Kotkansalo. No 3rd round pick, but there is a guy projected around then I want to see them trade into the 3rd round to get, both for his absurd name and his solid player profile: D'Artagnan Joly. I give Vegas, picking 65th and 85th our 4th this year and 2nd next year to get the 65th and take Joly. No longer having a 4th round pick because I traded it to Vegas, jump to the 5th round. Picking 130th I go with Dylan Ferguson in goal, 6th round I go with Swedish winger Emil Westerlund and our last pick I go with defenseman Griffin Mendel.

What the Blues will do is entirely different from everything I'd do, but I guess that's why I'm not in charge. I've also put significantly less thought into this than the Blues brass.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The draft is underway and no one is here? Lame :goblues: :cup:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Blues take center Robert Thomas.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Meh, wasn't looking for them to draft another center. Go with Ratcliffe at 27.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Trade? Brayden Schenn for the pick?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

BYE LEHTERA!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I really like this trade. It's the kind of creative move I didn't know Armstrong had in him. Now we have a #1 center (hopefully) hopefully gels with Tarasenko. I'm just nervous as hell what conditions they're talking about on that first rounder for next year. 2 firsts would be STEEP
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It has to be some playoff based condition... Blues reach the SCF or something like that. Either that or the condition is Philadelphia promises to keep Lehtera instead of giving him back.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The trade addresses both the need to get Lehtera the hell out of town and to get a worthwhile centerman for Tarasenko. But, moving forward in the draft I'd still like to see them address the need for some wing depth.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Lehtera and Perron contracts off the books. Can't say I'm going to lose any sleep.