MPS and Butler waived for eventual sending to Wolves

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

MPS and Butler waived for eventual sending to Wolves

Post by Robb_K »

I think MPS was sent down so Hitch can keep Rattie up. They really need to see if he can deliver on The NHL level, as he'll be waiver fodder next season, and they'd lose him for sure if attempted to be sent down. So they'll need to find a regular place in the lineup for him this season, or need to trade him off by the trade deadline/ They've got to see him play enough on The NHL level, to make that decision.

Butler was waived so he can be shuttled to and from The Wolves. I think Hitch plans to keep Edmundson up, in case Gunnarsson isn't ready for the first several games. He could easy re-injure his muscle pull. And Bortuzzo is still recovering from his injury.

Although I know these were just expected, routine "mechanical" moves to provide flexibility later, I think it signals that Edmundson and Rattie probably will start the season with The Blues.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: MPS and Butler waived for eventual sending to Wolves

Post by APOD »

My Speculation

Steen-Stastny-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Schwartz-Backes OR Schwartz-Lehtera-Jaskin
Jaskin-Lehtera-Brouwer OR Fabbri-Backes-Brouwer
Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves
Ott-Rattie

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Lindbohm-Shattenkirk
Edmunson-Parayko
Bortuzzo

Elliott(starter)
Allen

Buttler moves back up sometime in the next 9 games and Parayko or Edmunson move back down or both if Gunnarson is healthy in that time frame. Both are for sure playing here next year though.

Fabbri and Rattie are still battling for a spot, if Fabbri stays past his 9 games look for Rattie to be moved down.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Maybe this is just me... but I have never felt so apathetic for a new season to start in my entire time as a hockey fan.

The regular season means literally nothing to me. The Blues will probably get another high playoff spot and then the REAL season begins.

All season, after every "big win" it's going to be a "who cares?" or "ok, cool, can't wait for that first round exit again."

Last spring killed me. It's probably the lowest I've ever felt about this team, and that includes the 2005 firesale and beginning of a rebuild. At least then we knew for a fact we had brighter days ahead. Now? No reason to be optimistic. None. We traded Oshie and let Jackman walk. Cool. Good job Army.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Maybe this is just me... but I have never felt so apathetic for a new season to start in my entire time as a hockey fan.

The regular season means literally nothing to me. The Blues will probably get another high playoff spot and then the REAL season begins.

All season, after every "big win" it's going to be a "who cares?" or "ok, cool, can't wait for that first round exit again."

Last spring killed me. It's probably the lowest I've ever felt about this team, and that includes the 2005 firesale and beginning of a rebuild. At least then we knew for a fact we had brighter days ahead. Now? No reason to be optimistic. None. We traded Oshie and let Jackman walk. Cool. Good job Army.
That's sad.
Last season deflated and pissed me off as well...I was crushed, but I'm really looking forward to moving past it and seeing what they can do this year.
There are a few rookies that could make this team, at least two anyway. Stastny is being moved up to the top line, Tarasenko will hopefully top last year's numbers, and I really want to see how much Allen can improve...can he be that dominant #1 guy and wrestle the job away from Elliott?

I'm excited. I can't imagine going through the season not being happy about the wins and if they are doing well because I'm only expecting a flop in the playoffs.

That's no way to go through the season as a fan my friend. :wink:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Happy to hear Butler is going down. Whichever of Edmundson or Parayko performs better will probably rightfully get to stay.

As far as Rattie goes its unfair to not trade him. His skill set is wasted in Hitchcocks system. He belongs on a team that's joined the 2010s instead of living in the past.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

glen a richter wrote:Happy to hear Butler is going down. Whichever of Edmundson or Parayko performs better will probably rightfully get to stay.

As far as Rattie goes its unfair to not trade him. His skill set is wasted in Hitchcocks system. He belongs on a team that's joined the 2010s instead of living in the past.
Parayko plays on the right side. Those positions are pretty much set. I think Edmundson moves up, because only 2 LH defence positions are set if Gunnarsson is out.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

I figure Magnus Paajarvi would be claimed, guess we will find out soon here.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

APOD wrote:I figure Magnus Paajarvi would be claimed, guess we will find out soon here.
Someone explain to me what everyone sees in Paajarvi. He's been nothing for any team but a very good training camp player. Every time regular season play starts, he disappears. Great example of a bust pick at #10 overall in 2009. With plenty of evidence of his lackluster regular season play, why would anyone claim him? Especially after pulling the arbitration routine this off-season to get a guaranteed one-way contract when he has not really shown anything to deserve it.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

theohall wrote:
APOD wrote:I figure Magnus Paajarvi would be claimed, guess we will find out soon here.
Someone explain to me what everyone sees in Paajarvi. He's been nothing for any team but a very good training camp player. Every time regular season play starts, he disappears. Great example of a bust pick at #10 overall in 2009. With plenty of evidence of his lackluster regular season play, why would anyone claim him? Especially after pulling the arbitration routine this off-season to get a guaranteed one-way contract when he has not really shown anything to deserve it.
I don't think he fits here at all and I'm not very high on him, but to a team like Toronto, New Jersey or Carolina that could use the extra offense if he can produce it, its a low risk move plus he is a RFA still next year.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

WaukeeBlues wrote:The regular season means literally nothing.
ftfy
theohall wrote:
Someone explain to me what everyone sees in Paajarvi.
Well I can't. He was a borderline failed prospect when the Blues acquired him in a salary dump. What else would one expect? He reminds me of Berglund but with less drive and no faceoff ability.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

APOD wrote:
theohall wrote:
I don't think he fits here at all and I'm not very high on him, but to a team like Toronto, New Jersey or Carolina that could use the extra offense if he can produce it, its a low risk move plus he is a RFA still next year.
The problem with claiming him from waivers now, they take on his one-way contract which no one wants to do with someone of his current skill set.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I guess I'm still in offseason form, but who is MPS?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

theohall wrote:The problem with claiming him from waivers now, they take on his one-way contract which no one wants to do with someone of his current skill set.

Highest paid player who may well spend the entire season in the AHL...
cardsfan04 wrote:I guess I'm still in offseason form, but who is MPS?
Pajaarvi. But really, it hardly matters.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

It's Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson. Don't ask when the Svenson got added. I have no idea.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

A team dangerous close to the cap floor may take him, like Florida did a while back with those ludicrous contracts that ultimately made some sense. I don't know which teams that includes without looking at any cap data, but I'd guess New Jersey may be in the mix on that one. Can we also put Berglund on waivers? And Ott?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I was thinking it must be Paajarvi, but I couldn't figure out the S. First I've heard of Svenson.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:A team dangerous close to the cap floor may take him, like Florida did a while back with those ludicrous contracts that ultimately made some sense.
Good point, hadn't thought of that. Dave Bolland: luckiest player in the NHL. He'll make $2M less than Tank next year, and $1.3M MORE than Shattenkirk. :shock:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

theohall wrote:
The ONLY thing that MPS has shown that impresses me is his speed and hustle. Is it elite? Of course not. If it was, he'd be here full time. But when he's been called up, he's never slacked off. To me, that goes a little way. But really, his early draft pick status is the difference between him sticking around and being intriguing and being Chris Porter 2.0.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb