Rumor: Oshie to Caps for 1st Rd. Pick

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Rumor: Oshie to Caps for 1st Rd. Pick

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote: If other teams don't want to offer more for him, then I'm perfectly happy keeping him.
But wouldn't you rather see a shakeup of the core to try to find the missing piece(s)? Oshie is well liked in St Louis I understand, but if your core is not delivering in the playoffs then why would you want to keep it intact? I'm not a patient guy in general so when something isn't working I personally would rather change course than 'stay the course'. IMO you guys need a change in chemistry - Oshie may deliver on a different team with a different makeup - but I think it's clear that this combination as it currently resides on the roster isn't it. I would grab that #22 pick and offset the Oshie loss by other free agent signings to change the chemistry a bit.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cprice12 wrote: If other teams don't want to offer more for him, then I'm perfectly happy keeping him.
But wouldn't you rather see a shakeup of the core to try to find the missing piece(s)? Oshie is well liked in St Louis I understand, but if your core is not delivering in the playoffs then why would you want to keep it intact? I'm not a patient guy in general so when something isn't working I personally would rather change course than 'stay the course'. IMO you guys need a change in chemistry - Oshie may deliver on a different team with a different makeup - but I think it's clear that this combination as it currently resides on the roster isn't it. I would grab that #22 pick and offset the Oshie loss by other free agent signings to change the chemistry a bit.
The 22nd overall pick isn't finding the missing piece. That's maybe adding a decent piece (likely similar to Oshie) in 3-4 years.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
I'm all for moving guys out to try to make the team better.
But like I said, moving guys out and not getting a good return is a good way to make the team worse in a hurry.
Move Berglund. Move Ott. Move Gunnarson.
I'd be fine with moving any of THOSE guys and not getting equal return because they aren't key to this team. But Oshie is a key part of this team, so we'd need something that could really contribute in return.
The 22nd pick is a crap shoot AND doesn't help us next year. I'd rather have Oshie. But like I said, moving Oshie for the 22nd pick so as to clear money to sign a key FA, then that's different...even though I still think we can get more than a 22nd pick for Oshie.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Kerfuffle wrote:In addition to using the Oshie money to sign Tank the Blues could also make a play for Dubnyk if he doesn't re-up with Minnesota by July 1st. You guys getting Dubnyk would be huge.
I'm not sure Dubnyk is all that good. He went on a tear late in the season, then had a topsy-turvy series against the Blues and then got swept by the Hawks. What makes him so brilliant?
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ComradeT wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:In addition to using the Oshie money to sign Tank the Blues could also make a play for Dubnyk if he doesn't re-up with Minnesota by July 1st. You guys getting Dubnyk would be huge.
I'm not sure Dubnyk is all that good. He went on a tear late in the season, then had a topsy-turvy series against the Blues and then got swept by the Hawks. What makes him so brilliant?
Given the choice of Dubnyk or Talbot, I'd take Talbot every day and twice on Sunday. The thing about Dubnyk, though, is that he was a crap goalie on crap teams (Edmonton + Arizona) but you put him on a team with talent (Minnesota) and he actually proved to be pretty damn good.

On the other hand, the thing about Talbot is he played for franking Alabama. The road trips were intense, the perseverance to put up with that shit must have been out of this world, the man knows how to handle tough. He covered for one of the best goalies in the league and did so brilliantly on--I'm sorry to say, Oakland--an otherwise very overrated team.

At this juncture, Dubnyk will cost a lot of money and Talbot will cost a lot of players, therefore I'd prefer neither.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Would anyone trade:
to Pit: Oshie
to STL: Perron, Cole

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

To Buffalo: Oshie
To St. Louis: Tyler Ennis

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Winning Unlimited wrote:Would anyone trade:
Nope.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:
Winning Unlimited wrote:Would anyone trade:
Nope.
Yeah, definitely not. 2 reasons:

1. Let's not trade for retreads. We're trying to shake things up, not revert to more of the same.

2. I'd be far more inclined to trade 2 of our guys for 1 great player than 1 of our guys for 2 meh players. We need top end quality, not medium quantity.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

To Islanders: Oshie
To Blues: Okposo

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:To Islanders: Oshie
:okman:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The thinking that I just read is that the Isles want to trade Okposo, I guess in a package, for the #3 so they can get Dylan playing with his brother. Makes sense, takes the Blues out of any running for the #3 if they were even in the running. The #4 is still possible. I also read, and don't believe, that the more likely name to be traded is Steen rather than Oshie. I don't buy that for a second. I can see both being traded, but I can't see Steen being traded and Oshie not.

So the question is: Does Steen and Oshie get you the #4? If so, does Marner have what it takes to crack the NHL lineup this season? I wonder if the desire to trade from the old core has more to do with getting roster spots for guys already in the system. Is Army genuinely looking for only draft picks or does he want bodies? Is this largely because of Tarasenko's and Allen's contracts? If Hitch is genuine about his desire to get a speedier team (2nd time declaring it as the mission for the following season is the charm?) do he and management believe it would be easier to train all new guys in a new system than try to retrain old guys? If that's true, how many rookies will be on this team next season? 2 full lines worth?

thekortehaus
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by thekortehaus »

glen a richter wrote:To Islanders: Oshie
This causes me pause for thought. My concern is that he doesn't bring a culture of playoff success anymore than Oshie has now.

It would never happen, but I'd rather get someone like Sharp who has been there and knows what it takes.

I also don't know any of Okposos financials.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

thekortehaus
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by thekortehaus »

glen a richter wrote:The thinking that I just read is that the Isles want to trade Okposo, I guess in a package, for the #3 so they can get Dylan playing with his brother. Makes sense, takes the Blues out of any running for the #3 if they were even in the running. The #4 is still possible. I also read, and don't believe, that the more likely name to be traded is Steen rather than Oshie. I don't buy that for a second. I can see both being traded, but I can't see Steen being traded and Oshie not.

So the question is: Does Steen and Oshie get you the #4? If so, does Marner have what it takes to crack the NHL lineup this season? I wonder if the desire to trade from the old core has more to do with getting roster spots for guys already in the system. Is Army genuinely looking for only draft picks or does he want bodies? Is this largely because of Tarasenko's and Allen's contracts? If Hitch is genuine about his desire to get a speedier team (2nd time declaring it as the mission for the following season is the charm?) do he and management believe it would be easier to train all new guys in a new system than try to retrain old guys? If that's true, how many rookies will be on this team next season? 2 full lines worth?
Hitchcock hates rookies. Even if he went out on a limb and let that many get minutes... That's too close to the "blow it up" situation we don't want, in my opinion.

I don't know that we have enough quality leadership at the top of the roster to make that many rookies successful. Leadership shows in adversity - I'm not impressed recently.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:For the #22 pick, no. If they turn the #22 into a higher pick with a follow up trade then sure.
My deal with trading Oshie for a pick is that doesn't make us better next year...(unless they are trying to free up salary to sign a big name)...and the goal is to win a cup next season...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

The big issue is, the stuff we have to trade has very limited/low value. Trade Berglund and Ott? For what? (Not that I have any issue with that, but come now, you think we'll get better than a pick for them?)

The stuff we have that is tradeable (big difference here) is stuff we don't want to let go of. So what do you do?

I'll say this much, I wouldn't trade Osh for just a pick, unless it was a top 20 pick and a roster player.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:On the other hand, the thing about Talbot is he played for franking Alabama. The road trips were intense, the perseverance to put up with that shit must have been out of this world, the man knows how to handle tough. He covered for one of the best goalies in the league and did so brilliantly on--I'm sorry to say, Oakland--an otherwise very overrated team.
Unlike our guys who can only get into the second round once in five years. Wait...
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oaklandblue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:On the other hand, the thing about Talbot is he played for franking Alabama. The road trips were intense, the perseverance to put up with that shit must have been out of this world, the man knows how to handle tough. He covered for one of the best goalies in the league and did so brilliantly on--I'm sorry to say, Oakland--an otherwise very overrated team.
Unlike our guys who can only get into the second round once in five years. Wait...
The Rangers are a good team with a great goalie. The Blues are a good team with a good goalie. That's why they (NY) went further in the playoffs. They had zero chance of winning the Cup this year. Had they not been overmatched by Tampa Bay, they would have been grossly overmatched by Chicago. Last season, perhaps. They had a better lineup, up and down, than they did this year. With the impending loss of MSL, and probably some other changes to go along with no first rounder, a depleted farm system, and everyone one year older and, well, one year older, their window is closing just as fast as ours.

The Blues need to model themselves after Chicago--Great team, good goalie, solid pipeline ready to replace the existing big contracts. Not The Rangers. The Rangers are highly overrated by the fans and media, but the reality is they're in a slow downward spiral.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:For the #22 pick, no. If they turn the #22 into a higher pick with a follow up trade then sure.
My deal with trading Oshie for a pick is that doesn't make us better next year...(unless they are trying to free up salary to sign a big name)...and the goal is to win a cup next season...
Laugh all you want. But that is the goal and you know it.
They win the Central and tied for the best record in the West last year. Of course the cup next year is the goal.
If they do improve the team with a move or two in the offseason, they will be heavily discussed as cup contenders once again...and that will of course be followed up with the question...will this be the year they finally break through?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Laugh all you want. But that is the goal and you know it.
They win the Central and tied for the best record in the West last year. Of course the cup next year is the goal.
If they do improve the team with a move or two in the offseason, they will be heavily discussed as cup contenders once again...and that will of course be followed up with the question...will this be the year they finally break through?
Absolutely, it could be. But I'm guessing the sentiment behind those guffawing smilies is: let's walk before we run, Cochise.