Poll: What coaching scenario would you prefer?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Which option is best for the team?

Fire Hitch now, replace him with Dan Bylsma now
22%
Fire Hitch now, replace him with someone else
No votes
Let Hitch go in the offseason, replace w Dan Bylsma
44%
Let Hitch go in the offseason, replace w someone else
6%
Keep Hitch regardless of the postseason results
28%

Total votes: 18

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Poll: What coaching scenario would you prefer?

Post by glen a richter »

In light of our recent conversation in the Vancouver GDT, just curious about the overall prevailing opinion.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Poll: What coaching scenario would you prefer?

Post by dmiles2186 »

I say let this season play out. I know there is precedent with firing a coach late in the season and then having that coach go on to win the Cup (NJ in 2000, Bylsma in Pitt). That said, I think we ride this out this year and see where it goes. It's not like this core is going anywhere. The window won't be closing right away (or at least, looking on paper it won't be), so the urgency is minimal.

I really want Bylsma to coach this team and I think, of any team that would be on the prowl for a new coach (most likely), we've got the best roster assembled. That's assuming most teams looking for coaches would be the Edmonton's, Buffalo's, and Carolina's of the wold. But I also think making that change now is just a little too risky.

As Curt said in the Vancouver GDT, this team was in 1st in the West like a week ago and now we all want him gone? Another first round exit? Then yes, time to make a change. But we're sitting at 99 points and Hitch's track record with us (in the regular season) has been spectacular. I say give him one more shot and if it doesn't work out, sign Bylsma ASAP.

I do admit, at the risk of losing Bylsma, that it will be tough to cut bait with Hitch if he gets us to at least the Conference Finals. Hard to fire a guy after a season like that.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

It's too late for this year. The bed for the 2014-15 Blues was made a long time ago. If they get bounced again, Hitch, Army, and probably Backes/Oshie are all going to be out, so we're going to have to start hiring people in order. But if Bylsma would come here, I'd take him.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'd like a 6th option. Reevaluate this offseason.

I'm adamantly opposed to firing him now, because I think it's a mistake to do that so close to the playoffs in a year that we've had so much success.

This offseason, I'm open to the idea of it. But, it depends how we do in the playoffs (and how much blame he holds if we don't go far) and whether he's actually lost the locker room. He may have, but I'm not convinced that he has.

I get why people think that he has. It makes sense. He has a history of it. There are a few quotes this year that could be interpreted that way. The flip of all of that is that none of us are in the room and none of the quotes explicitly go after Hitch. They could just be innocuous observations that are being interpreted as malcontent.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Agree with cardsfan. Would consider letting him walk after the season (wouldn't be firing as a technical issue; he's on a one-year contract) if the team doesn't go far. But if he gets through a couple rounds, it would be a different decision than if they're bounced in the first again.

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

cardsfan04 wrote:I'd like a 6th option. Reevaluate this offseason.

I'm adamantly opposed to firing him now, because I think it's a mistake to do that so close to the playoffs in a year that we've had so much success.

This offseason, I'm open to the idea of it. But, it depends how we do in the playoffs (and how much blame he holds if we don't go far) and whether he's actually lost the locker room. He may have, but I'm not convinced that he has.

I get why people think that he has. It makes sense. He has a history of it. There are a few quotes this year that could be interpreted that way. The flip of all of that is that none of us are in the room and none of the quotes explicitly go after Hitch. They could just be innocuous observations that are being interpreted as malcontent.
This....

I don't thing the problem is with Hitch at all or his system. This issue has been creeping in for months now. Actually, (I know I'll get blasted for this) I think it is all on the players and a couple in particular. For a couple of months now, Tank has been coasting and cherry picking and not playing the style of hockey that won him the cred he deserved. Bergland has also been slow and bumbling in his play. Our defense which on paper should be the best in the league are miscuing plays all over the ice and making boneheaded decisions. Also, in general, the team looks slow. Now this last issue could be a testament to the grind of 'the system' but I think the onus is all on the players this time of year.

I'm not at all for firing Hitch unless we have another 1st rnd collapse. If that happens, then let him go. We need to examine the players effort and desire and the front office needs to hold them accountable.

Also, this is the time when a true leader (Backes) needs to step up and lead this team where it needs to go whether there is a coach / player breakdown or not. I hope they get it resolved and they can put this skid behind them.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:It's too late for this year. The bed for the 2014-15 Blues was made a long time ago. If they get bounced again, Hitch, Army, and probably Backes/Oshie are all going to be out, so we're going to have to start hiring people in order. But if Bylsma would come here, I'd take him.
Highly doubt Backes will get moved. Very big in this city. When was the last captain that got traded? Didn't Brewer have his C removed before he was traded?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

tjk002 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:It's too late for this year. The bed for the 2014-15 Blues was made a long time ago. If they get bounced again, Hitch, Army, and probably Backes/Oshie are all going to be out, so we're going to have to start hiring people in order. But if Bylsma would come here, I'd take him.
Highly doubt Backes will get moved. Very big in this city. When was the last captain that got traded? Didn't Brewer have his C removed before he was traded?
No Brewer was the Captain when he got traded, but I'm trying to remember the timeline. Obviously a new regime was in place when Brewer got traded. Backes' captaincy has pretty much coincided with Hitch's tenure here.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

tjk002 wrote:
Backes won't get moved. Doubtful Oshie gets moved.
Both are far too valuable to this team and bring in a ton of fans.
We'd have to get a pretty damn good offer for either of them. But I'm not against any move that makes this team better.

Army isn't losing his job. He's one of the best GM's in the league for crying out loud. I can say with very much certainty that his job is quite safe.

I'm not even sure Hitch will lose his job unless we get bounced in the 1st round again. I can see him getting a one year extension...but of course a lot will depend on how the team finishes and if they do get bounced from the playoffs, how/why they got bounced will obviously play a big role in what decisions are made in the offseason.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I agree Davis Payne's best friend is the best choice.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

The Flake wrote:
I don't thing the problem is with Hitch at all or his system. This issue has been creeping in for months now. Actually, (I know I'll get blasted for this) I think it is all on the players and a couple in particular. For a couple of months now, Tank has been coasting and cherry picking and not playing the style of hockey that won him the cred he deserved. Bergland has also been slow and bumbling in his play. Our defense which on paper should be the best in the league are miscuing plays all over the ice and making boneheaded decisions. Also, in general, the team looks slow. Now this last issue could be a testament to the grind of 'the system' but I think the onus is all on the players this time of year.

I'm not at all for firing Hitch unless we have another 1st rnd collapse. If that happens, then let him go. We need to examine the players effort and desire and the front office needs to hold them accountable.

Also, this is the time when a true leader (Backes) needs to step up and lead this team where it needs to go whether there is a coach / player breakdown or not. I hope they get it resolved and they can put this skid behind them.
So the team hasn't been so able to completely ride 91 lately so that's why they look slow, tentative and start each game like crap? That's why they give up odd man rushes and have a team sv% of 80-something? That's why they constantly take more penalties than their opponents? Not buying it.

Again, Hitch's system has not brought him multiple series wins, or even more than 4 wins in a single postseason in a decade. To me, he's the one who's got something to prove right now.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:
tjk002 wrote:
Backes won't get moved. Doubtful Oshie gets moved.
Both are far too valuable to this team and bring in a ton of fans.
We'd have to get a pretty damn good offer for either of them. But I'm not against any move that makes this team better.

Army isn't losing his job. He's one of the best GM's in the league for crying out loud. I can say with very much certainty that his job is quite safe.

I'm not even sure Hitch will lose his job unless we get bounced in the 1st round again. I can see him getting a one year extension...but of course a lot will depend on how the team finishes and if they do get bounced from the playoffs, how/why they got bounced will obviously play a big role in what decisions are made in the offseason.
Do you have an inside source, Curt? There are those who disagree with your second assertion there too, me included:

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2015/3/3 ... -is-needed

There's more argumentation, actual substance, in that one article criticizing Armstrong than I've ever heard from his backers. He's good at the contract side of things but I think he's been a very mixed bag at best in terms of trades. If Hitch goes, I won't be surprised to see Army go with him. Neither of them have wanted for resources here.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Let me throw this one out there, but please don't crucify me for it...

What if Mike Babcock, on his own accord, left Detoilet to seek a bigger payday? He has ample Cup experience, much like Bylsma, and has taken a lesser roster to the promised land than the one Bylsma had.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Why hasn't Bylsma been hired by another team yet?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:Let me throw this one out there, but please don't crucify me for it...

What if Mike Babcock, on his own accord, left Detoilet to seek a bigger payday? He has ample Cup experience, much like Bylsma, and has taken a lesser roster to the promised land than the one Bylsma had.
I personally think Babcock is the best coach in the NHL. No brainer.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I would be happy with Babcock as our coach for sure. But, only if we've decided to fire Hitch. It's not fair to court a coach while you still have one under contract with plan B being to keep the current coach.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

4 of the 5 choices are to fire Hitch at some point. Seems skewed.

There needs to be an option to re-evaluate things in the offseason based on how we finish and how we fair in the playoffs...and the reasons why things went the way they did, which is what should be done.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cardsfan04 wrote:I would be happy with Babcock as our coach for sure. But, only if we've decided to fire Hitch. It's not fair to court a coach while you still have one under contract with plan B being to keep the current coach.
No need to worry about that-Babcock obviously won't be leaving the Wings this season and Hitch's contract has to be renewed after this year so the Blues only have to let him walk if they want to bring in someone new.

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

ecbm wrote:
The Flake wrote:

So the team hasn't been so able to completely ride 91 lately so that's why they look slow, tentative and start each game like crap? That's why they give up odd man rushes and have a team sv% of 80-something? That's why they constantly take more penalties than their opponents? Not buying it.

Again, Hitch's system has not brought him multiple series wins, or even more than 4 wins in a single postseason in a decade. To me, he's the one who's got something to prove right now.
No. If you would actually like to read my post, I said that 'the system' may be a grind and that is a possible reason why they look slow. The other possible reason is lack of effort or drive. I think both could be applicable.

Also, how does this team have a "team sv% of 80 something"...am I missing something here. Our goalies have a combined sv% of .912 + add in blocked shot attempts and I think the "team sv%" goes way up...right? Care to explain this to me cause I think your way off base here.

Lastly, they are taking more penalties because they are slow...one step behind...not enough fuel in the jet... I don't know how this can be Hitches fault directly unless you are saying that he isn't skating them enough this time of year and its an endurance thing. I really don't think thats the case either.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

Hitch won't be our coach next season. Firing him now would be stupid IMO.

If he fails he's gone anyway. No way he get's another pass for a first or second round loss. Anything less than a Cup Final he should hit the bricks.

If he wins the Cup he retires the greatest Blues coach ever. He will eat and drink for free the rest of his life in St. Louis. I'd buy him his first all-you-can-eat buffet. A Cup for this city would be the best thing ever. It would mean more to me than any other World Series or Super Bowl win. I could actually die... 8) a happy man.

Bylsma Yes
Babcock (aka Bobbin-on-cock) No
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)