Predators to Blackhawks Fans: GTFO

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Predators to Blackhawks Fans: GTFO

Post by cprice12 »

I like the sentiment...but StubHub and sites like that will allow a truckload of Hawks fans to grab tickets.
Predators to Blackhawks fans: You're not welcome here
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/ ... /70465216/

The Predators are sending a clear message to out-of-town Chicago Blackhawks fans: Stay away from Bridgestone Arena in April.

With a first-round playoff series between Nashville and Chicago a possibility, Predators president Sean Henry is pushing steps to assure Bridgestone and Lower Broadway does not turn into a sea of Blackhawks red.

"We want to fill the building with gold, filled by our fans, through our fans and for our fans. Period," Henry said Wednesday. "Just like any team should want their home arena to be. And any columnist who says otherwise, should look at his own history."

Oh, not this columnist. This one agrees with Henry.

His barb was intended for Chicago Tribune columnist Steve Rosenbloom, who recently penned that the "Predators will obsess anew over plots and firewalls and security installations to keep Hawks fans out of the rink. If the past is neurotic prologue, then you watch, before the Predators release playoff tickets, they'll completely eliminate the paper version and allow E-tickets only after demanding their fans submit to iris recognition technology."

Rosenbloom's sarcastic prose was close to reality.

The Predators will begin selling playoff tickets this weekend. On Saturday, tickets can only be purchased at Kroger stores in Middle Tennessee. On Sunday, they can be purchased at the Bridgestone box office prior to and during the 4 p.m. game against Calgary. On Monday, tickets will be sold online through the Predators' website — but only to customers who live within the team's TV market.

Good for Henry and the Predators. And good for Predators' fans.

A strong fan base is built on lasting memories. Quite often, those memories are created during dramatic and dynamic playoff moments.

While the Predators have done a remarkable job of marketing their product, the franchise is still in its infancy. Season 16 is a fraction of the life of most of our country's professional sports franchises.

And there are ebbs and flows with every franchise, something Blackhawks fans should know. Before Chicago's recent run of success — two Stanley Cup titles in last five years — fans were not flocking to home games.

As recently as 2006-07 the Blackhawks averaged just 12,727 fans, ranking next-to-last in the league and well behind the Predators.

Then what happened? The Blackhaws drafted well and started winning games. The fan base grew as it experienced exciting playoff atmosphere and two championships.

Henry wants the same thing to happen in Nashville. It's really a simple formula.

But it can't happen if playoff games are a replay of the Dec. 6 meeting between the Predators and Blackhawks at Bridgestone. Henry estimates as many as 5,500 Blackhawk fans attended that game, a 3-1 Chicago victory.

He said the team estimated 1,200 tickets were sold by season package holders to fans in out-of-town zip codes; another 2,500 were sold from the team's online portal to fans in the Chicago market; and another 1,500 were sold to scalpers who either sold the tickets on online sites such as StubHub or to fans on the streets.

He doesn't want to see that happen during the playoffs.

"We make no apologies for building this fan base for our fan base," he said. "We are obsessed with it as an organization because we want our fans to feel comfortable. We are not obsessed who the (opponent) is."
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Predators to Blackhawks Fans: GTFO

Post by cardsfan04 »

I love that he takes a slight shot at blackhawk fans for not attending games until their team was good.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I remember when the Blues did this a season or two ago. At the time, I remember that it felt kind of embarrassing. I get why the Preds would try to do this, but this will just motivate Hawks fans (especially the cocky BFIH Hawks fans) to try to overtake their barn.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

cardsfan04 wrote:I love that he takes a slight shot at blackhawk fans for not attending games until their team was good.
Big difference between motivating and enabling. The intrigue is in how many Predz fans would want to cash in by reselling to Hawks fans and how much Hawks fans would be willing to pay to get to Nashville.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

But he doesn't talk about all the scalpers selling tickets outside the arena before the game.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:But he doesn't talk about all the scalpers selling tickets outside the arena before the game.
...and another 1,500 were sold to scalpers who either sold the tickets on online sites such as StubHub or to fans on the streets.
:facepalm:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

gaijin wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:But he doesn't talk about all the scalpers selling tickets outside the arena before the game.
...and another 1,500 were sold to scalpers who either sold the tickets on online sites such as StubHub or to fans on the streets.
Even the article said that.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cprice12 wrote:
gaijin wrote:
The article NEVER existed.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

gaijin wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
gaijin wrote:
The article NEVER existed.
lol'd heartily
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Love the fact that we are really in their head that their front office is obsessed with keeping us out. It will only have the opposite effect as more and more Hawks fans will attend the games. When you're front office is obsessed with an opponent I think it takes the eyes off the prize for your own team.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:Love the fact that we are really in their head that their front office is obsessed with keeping us out. It will only have the opposite effect as more and more Hawks fans will attend the games. When you're front office is obsessed with an opponent I think it takes the eyes off the prize for your own team.
Nah...I like it.
Anything to make things more interesting. Just one more thing for us to talk about.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

gaijin wrote:
:facepalm: back to you!

It doesn't say how they will prevent that again! Scalpers live right there so they can get tickets locally and sell them on the street to Hawks fans. Like Kerfuffle said the Hawks fans find a way to pack stadiums within a relative close vicinity to Chicago.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
gaijin wrote:

It doesn't say how they will prevent that again! Scalpers live right there so they can get tickets locally and sell them on the street to Hawks fans. Like Kerfuffle said the Hawks fans find a way to pack stadiums within a relative close vicinity to Chicago.
Being a blackhawk fan is a proud tradition dating back to 2008.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

I also appreciate the sentiment. However, I think it's awesome when our fans are seen/heard in an opposing rink, so I'd be a hypocrite if Chicago's traveling fans (phony or otherwise) were to irritate me. It is what it is. Championships are a fan's impenetrable armor.

Want them to stop coming? Beat them. Then they won't feel so comfortable getting rowdy in your barn.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

As recently as 2006-07 the Blackhawks averaged just 12,727 fans, ranking next-to-last in the league and well behind the Predators.
I really didn't want to look up the stats after reading this sentence, but I just had to.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

rorschach
Prospect
Prospect

Post by rorschach »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
gaijin wrote:

I believe you have to present your receipt and or purchasing credit card and I.D. at the gate. From what I understand they will only accept tickets from the original purchaser. From what I've heard that's how they intend to prevent scalping, you can still scalp the tickets, but the gate wont accept them.
THIS IS THE YEAR THE ST. LOUIS BLUES PISS EXCELLENCE

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Personally I like it. I know there will be the inevitable re-sale to Hawks fans and StubHub and all that but you can certainly try to limit the damage as much as possible. I don't think any of the steps the franchise is taking is too much. I like it.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

I love that we're an invasion force for many cities. Nashville, St Louis, and Columbus get the most Hawks fans just due to it being a reasonable drive to any of those 3 cities. Dallas, while farther, seems to have 50% Hawks fans at our games. It's cool.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

rorschach wrote: I believe you have to present your receipt and or purchasing credit card and I.D. at the gate. From what I understand they will only accept tickets from the original purchaser. From what I've heard that's how they intend to prevent scalping, you can still scalp the tickets, but the gate wont accept them.
I doubt it - that would take way too long to process every person coming in the building. It goes slow enough just scanning the ticket, but now to sit everyone down and basically do an IRS audit and have them pull out a receipt, ID, and credit card all to verify they were purchased by a 'Nashville fan' seems ludicrous. As long as you have the ticket in your hand you're getting in.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
rorschach wrote: I believe you have to present your receipt and or purchasing credit card and I.D. at the gate. From what I understand they will only accept tickets from the original purchaser. From what I've heard that's how they intend to prevent scalping, you can still scalp the tickets, but the gate wont accept them.
I doubt it - that would take way too long to process every person coming in the building. It goes slow enough just scanning the ticket, but now to sit everyone down and basically do an IRS audit and have them pull out a receipt, ID, and credit card all to verify they were purchased by a 'Nashville fan' seems ludicrous. As long as you have the ticket in your hand you're getting in.
For sure. I don't see them doing a verification of who bought the ticket at the gate. I'm not even entirely certain it would be legal to institute that policy midseason.