GDT #70: 3/17/15 | 8:00PM CST | @ Flames | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #70: 3/17/15 | 8:00PM CST | @ Flames | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES (44-20-5) at FLAMES (38-26-5)

TV: FS-MW, SNW

Season series: Paul Stastny and Kevin Shattenkirk had three assists each in the St. Louis Blues' 4-1 win against the Calgary Flames on Oct. 11. Joakim Lindstrom, David Backes, Alex Pietrangelo and Vladimir Tarasenko scored for St. Louis, which received 23 saves from Brian Elliott.

Blues team scope: St. Louis had Monday off after starting a six-game, 10-day road trip with a 3-0 victory against the Dallas Stars on Sunday. The Blues have gone 11-2-1 away from home the past 14 games. Goalie Jake Allen's rookie-best fourth shutout of the season did not earn him a second consecutive start. Elliott will start against the Flames. The Blues' penalty kill has killed off 29 of the past 30 against covering nine games. "We've had a little success here on the penalty kill," Pietrangelo said. "It's going to be important here down the stretch." Since losing all four games to the Flames in 2010-11, the Blues have won eight of 11 matchups (8-2-1).

Flames team scope: Calgary left wing Michael Ferland is expected to play, with center Drew Shore a healthy scratch. Goalie Jonas Hiller is the projected starter against the Blues. He made 35 saves in St. Louis on Oct. 11. Defenseman Douglas Murray, with the Flames on a tryout basis, skated again Monday. The Flames, who open a crucial five-game homestand, are competing with the Los Angeles Kings for third place in the Pacific Division. "We're having fun with our situation," coach Bob Hartley told the Flames website after practice Monday. "We're not getting rattled." Center Mikael Backlund, who has 21 points in 28 games since abdominal surgery, is on an eight-game point streak.
The Calgary Flames' playoff push could take a major step forward on a five-game homestand, and they should be riding plenty of confidence in their own building.

The problem is it begins Tuesday night against the St. Louis Blues, who have been even better on the road lately than the Flames have been at home.

Calgary (38-26-5) is 8-3-1 at home dating to Jan. 27, and the 17 points that have come from those games is the highest total in the Western Conference. St. Louis (44-20-5), however, is an NHL-best 11-2-1 on the road since Jan. 3.

"Talking about teams with no weaknesses, here's a team that can beat you in so many ways," Flames coach Bob Hartley told the team's official website. "The (T.J.) Oshie's, the (Vladimir) Tarasenko's ... then you look at the big boys size like (David) Backes and company. You look at their blueline, they move very well, they're big, they defend very good, their special teams are great."

Alexander Steen joined Tarasenko and Oshie with third-period goals in Sunday's 3-0 win over Dallas to begin a season-high six-game trip. Steen also had an assist to give him six points in five games after being shut out in the previous six.

The penalty kill came through with a 6-for-6 mark and improved to 29 for 30 over the last nine games, though Calgary is 7 for 23 (30.4 percent) on the power play over the past six.
Related Stories

"Great job by the penalty kill all around," defenseman Alex Pietrangelo told the team's official website. "We used a lot of different personnel tonight, especially on short rest like we had today. We've had a little bit of success here on the penalty kill. It's going to be important going down the stretch."

Jake Allen earned the shutout, but Brian Elliott will face Calgary. Elliott made 23 saves in a 4-1 win over the Flames on Oct. 11, extending his winning streak in the series to four with a 1.00 goals-against average, but each of those games were in St. Louis.

The Blues are 7-1-1 in the last nine meetings with a 31-13 scoring advantage. Tarasenko scored in October and has three goals and two assists on a four-game point streak against the Flames. Kevin Shattenkirk had three assists and has 13 points in his last 12 in the series. It was Paul Stastny's first game in the series and he also had three assists, giving him 13 points in his last eight against Calgary.

The Flames had gone 5-0-1 prior to Saturday's 3-2 road loss to Stastny's former team, Colorado, and in contrast to their scoring problems against St. Louis, they've had plenty of production lately with an average of 4.14 goals over the last seven games.

Points leader Jiri Hudler (25 goals, 35 assists) was held without one Saturday after registering six goals and six assists in the previous six games. He's averaging a point a game in his last five against the Blues.

Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau also had six-game point streaks end but both have nine during the seven-game span. Monahan, the team leader with 27 goals, doesn't have a point in four career games against St. Louis.

Mikael Backlund had two assists to extend his point streak to eight games.

Karri Ramo faced Colorado and has a 1-1-0 record with a 4.12 GAA in his last three games. He's 0-1-1 with a 4.52 GAA against the Blues.

Jonas Hiller suffered the loss in October, though he's 7-1-0 with a 2.42 GAA when facing St. Louis in a home role.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GDT #70: 3/17/15 | 8:00PM CST | @ Flames | FSMW/KMOX

Post by cprice12 »

[nhlvideo]/videocenter/embed?playlist=781904[/nhlvideo]
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Late games = rough mornings. But I guess them's the breaks. Let's keep rolling, boys.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This one's got tough game written all over it. Calgary is a well run squad that could surprise a lot of teams when they face off in the playoffs. I'm giving this one to the Flames. Blues will be caught off guard.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

I was also VERY nervous about the Flames after watching them pepper the Ducks last week. Their top line looked fast and GOOD. Fortunately, it looks like the Blues were prepared after all. Tough game early on, and Elliott definitely had to be top notch, but we solved Hiller after all.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I don't think I've ever seen a team pull their goalie with over 5 minutes left.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

gaijin wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a team pull their goalie with over 5 minutes left.
A Patrick Roy move! :grin:

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Portland Blues wrote:
gaijin wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a team pull their goalie with over 5 minutes left.
A Patrick Roy move! :grin:
Didn't the Blues recently pull their goalie while on a powerplay with a decent amount of time left in the 3rd because they were losing by a bunch? I mean, it kinda makes sense.. If you're down 3-0 and you get a PP, if you pop a quick one in, that gives you a fighting chance. If you give up an empty netter, 4-0 is ultimately not that much worse than 3-0 at that point in the game.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I've never seen a team put a goalie back in the net on the fly...until tonight.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I think we scared them lol.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Don't look now but we've got one more regulation win than any other team.

:okman:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

glen a richter wrote:This one's got tough game written all over it. Calgary is a well run squad that could surprise a lot of teams when they face off in the playoffs. I'm giving this one to the Flames. Blues will be caught off guard.
Or a 4-0 win works too. Lehtera needs to keep making pizza.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cprice12 wrote:I've never seen a team put a goalie back in the net on the fly...until tonight.
That was kind of awesome. Bizarre, but awesome.

Either way, I posted this on Twitter but I'll reiterate here: Brian Elliott came to town a handful of years ago (or so) on a 2 way contract looking to battle Ben Bishop for the backup job. I thought it was Bishop's for the taking. Ells beats him out and goes on to win the Jennings trophy along with Jaro. Fast forward, Elliott is the franchise leader in shutouts.

Even more admirable is how he outlasted Jaro, only to see Ryan Miller be pegged as 'the guy.' Miraculously, Ells is the one left standing out of that duo. And here we are a year later, and what many in the media (and some in the Blues fan base) thought would be a 'goaltending problem,' has helped propel the Blues into first place with 2 games in hand, essentially a 'control your own destiny' situation. Stick taps aplenty for Ells. He's earned it.
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:I've never seen a team put a goalie back in the net on the fly...until tonight.

Either way, I posted this on Twitter but I'll reiterate here: Brian Elliott came to come a handful of years ago (or so) on a 2 way contract looking to battle Ben Bishop for the backup job. I thought it was Bishop's for the taking. Ells beats him out and goes on to win the Jennings trophy along with Jaro. Fast forward, Elliott is the franchise leader in shutouts.

Even more admirable is how he outlasted Jaro, only to see Ryan Miller be pegged as 'the guy.' Miraculously, Ells is the one left standing out of that duo. And here we are a year later, and what many in the media (and some in the Blues fan base) thought would be a 'goaltending problem,' has helped propel the Blues into first place with 2 games in hand, essentially a 'control your own destiny' situation. Stick taps aplenty for Ells. He's earned it.
:lol: Sorry but my inner child got the best of me...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Good result. Even at 0-0 in the second, my brother and I agreed that the breakthrough would come. The Flames don't make it easy though, that's for sure. There doesn't seem to be any soft options in terms of W conference playoff partners.

Elliott looked great last night and even with the two goals from Steen, I thought he was the first star. He needs to get consistent though. His last four results were two shutouts alternated with two games in which he allowed 7 goals on 35 shots.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Misc. Blues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

Either way, I posted this on Twitter but I'll reiterate here: Brian Elliott came to come a handful of years ago (or so) on a 2 way contract looking to battle Ben Bishop for the backup job. I thought it was Bishop's for the taking. Ells beats him out and goes on to win the Jennings trophy along with Jaro. Fast forward, Elliott is the franchise leader in shutouts.

Hahaha...I have no idea what was on my mind when I typed that.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

Hahaha...I have no idea what was on my mind when I typed that.
I do.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO