GDT #60: 2/24/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Canadiens | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #60: 2/24/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Canadiens | FSMW/KMOX

Post by Oaklandblue »

Because juggling lines without a whole lot of rational reason wins games.

I get that we need to make line changes and such with players out (I didn't know we had enough forwards out to warrant this kind of change), but you don't put your fourth line on the top six. I get if we need that due to injuries, sure, but we don't need to do it and some players need to have their minutes limited. Hitch needs to knock this off. It's a great deal of why we lose quite a few more games than we should.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Problem is, there's a very delicate balance to this team, the results of injuries and line juggling clearly show that. And although I'm not saying this officially yet, but seeing games from recent couple of months, reading what Hitch has to say (especially after losses), I'm starting to lose confidence that we could ever win the cup with him. The lack of plan b's and plan c's when things go wrong are worrying.
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This team has depth, but the quality of the depth is suspect either because they're just not particularly quality players or they're too young and inexperienced. So any adjustments because of injury will give us a serviceable replacement but not necessarily a good replacement. I'm not particularly wild about Butler. Hitch obviously disagrees. But when you go -4 in a game you win then something's wrong. I didn't think Rattie was ready but, when need be, they brought him up. I think McRae deserves a roster spot and they don't.

On the overall, I don't think anyone in this organization is a particularly good manager of personnel. Hitch favors veterans even if they stink and for whatever reason the depth players always seem to be three tiers below everyone else.

On the interesting side though, let's not forget that Hitch only has a one year contract, which I'd have to assume would be it for him if we don't advance particularly far into the playoffs and hey, Dan Bylsma is still available.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Fradi wrote:Problem is, there's a very delicate balance to this team, the results of injuries and line juggling clearly show that. And although I'm not saying this officially yet, but seeing games from recent couple of months, reading what Hitch has to say (especially after losses), I'm starting to lose confidence that we could ever win the cup with him. The lack of plan b's and plan c's when things go wrong are worrying.
Agreed. This team plays one way and when it doesn't work, it looks like there aren't a lot of ideas other than: juggle the lines. Hitchcock honeymoon is well and truly over for me at this point. I find myself daydreaming about what, say, Vigneault would do with this squad. But a run to the finals would make me forget all about that...

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Yep, I was thinking the same.Also, Bylsma's there, and I know it's a long shot, but maybe Babcock could be available for us too (If I didn't miss anything). To me, this is the season I'd like to see Hitch prove himself. Granted, we had a hell of a series agains the Hawks last year, but I'd like to win these matchups for once. Again, I'm trying to trust him, however can't help but feel like if we don't make it to the conference finals this year, he has to go.
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott