Blues Reject $167 Million Offer

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Blues Reject $167 Million Offer

Post by ViPeRx007 »

It makes sense he didn't take this bid. He is still reviewing mine...
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

ohio BLUES wrote:It'd be nice to have such a straight-shooter as an owner.

That interview sounded a lot like Peter with his feet kicked up on the table talking to the Bobs.

Love this guy in Scrubs.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ohio BLUES wrote:It'd be nice to have such a straight-shooter as an owner.

That interview sounded a lot like Peter with his feet kicked up on the table talking to the Bobs.

"What would you say...uh-ya do here?"

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Checketts got caught laundering money. He's not going to white-collar resort prison. No, no, no. He's going to federal "pound me in the ass" prison.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Kick someone's ass the first day and you're cool.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Relax.......

Dave loves getting this information out there.

Now he's still got a week and a half to try and start a bidding war. He's made it know that he's got a party interested around 170 and he's willing to come down to 190.....he's hoping that may lead other interested parties to fear those two will come to a compromise and jump in at 185 or something. Either way, this deal get's done shortly and it's not like he's going anywhere. He'll still be willing to pay 167 in two weeks.

If the deadline is in fact the 30th, there is no reason for Dave to accept less then his asking price before that.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

kodos wrote:I'd tell you what I'd do man... 334 chicks at the same time, man.
:plusplus:

If you owned a hockey team I think you could pull that off man.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Potential Blues owner a true man of mystery
DAVID SHOALTS
Globe and Mail Update
Published Thursday, Sep. 22, 2011 6:28PM EDT

Max Chambers is getting a lot of attention for a fellow who was quickly dismissed as a prospective NHL owner by the St. Louis Blues.

If you read this story in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, he sure sounds like a major player in the business world. Makes you wonder why Blues chairman Dave Checketts and Game Plan LLC boss Robert Caporale, who is tending to the sale of the NHL team, would turn down Chambers’s offer of $167-million (all currency U.S.) cold, without even a hint he could get the team if he coughed up just a little more.

Then again, Chambers appears to be an international man of mystery. He told reporters he is from Calgary and the Post-Dispatch reports he is the chief executive officer of companies called Sonoma Equities and Great Northern Capital Partners. Chambers also said former NHL players Bryan Trottier and Bernie Nicholls are involved in his bid. But the only other mention of Trottier came in Andy Strickland’s True Hockey blog when the former player said all he did was call the NHL on Chambers’s behalf to ask what the procedure was for making an offer on a team.

The trouble is, next to no information on either of Chambers’s alleged companies can be found. There were no telephone numbers or addresses available nor was Chambers listed in the telephone directory.

Someone whose business involves checking out potential buyers of professional sports teams said he asked several people in Calgary, including some bankers, about Chambers. No one had ever heard of him.

However, there are lots of mentions of a Max Chambers from Calgary in media reports about failed attempts to buy sports teams going back to 2002. Here are the highlights:

The first mention of Chambers is in 2002 when he announced plans to put a CFL expansion team in London, Ont. He also talked about having the Hamilton Tiger-Cats play an exhibition game and some league games in London first. The Ticats said this was news to them and nothing further was heard.

Chambers’s next known press conference came in Orlando, Fla., in June, 2004 when he announced he was buying the Jacksonville Barracudas and the Orlando Seals, which played in a minor league called WHA2.

Even though the sale had yet to close, Chambers said NHL great Butch Goring would be the head coach and general manager of the Seals and both teams would play in a revived World Hockey Association, which was planned to fill the vacuum of the 2004-05 NHL lockout.

Whoops. A few days later David Waronker, who owned both the Seals and the Barracudas, said he was cancelling the sale. After Chambers agreed to pay $3.4-million for both teams and put up a $100,000 deposit, Waronker said, he failed to pony up the deposit.

Both Chambers and Waronka accused each other of trying to change the terms of the deal before any money changed hands. In the end, Waronka kept both teams and put them in a different minor league. By July, 2004, Chambers dropped out of sight and the idea of a new WHA sputtered along for some months and then died.

Chambers has surfaced from time-to-time – he was a tire-kicker on the Phoenix Coyotes – without getting close to buying anything.

At this point, according to sources close to the Blues sale, Game Plan has only one offer in hand for the team. It is from a Blues minority owner and is thought to be for around $100-million cash and perhaps some additional assumption of debt. That is less than the $120-million Checketts’s holding company, SCP Worldwide, owes Citibank on the Blues, which is why the sale is taking so long.

Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer has an interest in the team although he has not made a formal offer. But he has told Checketts and Game Plan how much he’s willing to pay, so the sale may have a few more laps to go.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

HIlarious. So this is some sort of high stakes flim-flam man who sent a letter to the Post Dispatch and they ran with it without doing any legwork.

The rejection makes more sense now. And my hopes are re-dashed... ugh...

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

kodos wrote:HIlarious. So this is some sort of high stakes flim-flam man who sent a letter to the Post Dispatch and they ran with it without doing any legwork.

JR broached the subject in his chat on Thursday:
When things look too good to be true, you have to have some skepticism. I spoke to Chambers several times over the past few days and he is certainly eager to own a hockey team. He obviously said all of the things Blues' fans wanted to hear. But there is a lot more to getting approved as an owner in the NHL. I am not privy to his financing (where he's getting his money), inside the mind of Dave Checketts (why they're not negotiating with him) or inside the mind of Gary Bettman (whether the league would approve him). For one day, we took Chambers at his word. Now we'll see if anything develops. But I would not get overly excited about some of the things that were mentioned until more steps are taken.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:HIlarious. So this is some sort of high stakes flim-flam man who sent a letter to the Post Dispatch and they ran with it without doing any legwork.

I heard Belfour contacted Checketts and offered 1 billion dollars for the Blues.

Run that story P-D.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

cprice12 wrote:

I heard Belfour contacted Checketts and offered 1 billion dollars for the Blues.

Run that story P-D.
He could bring his 2 Vezina, Calder, 4 Jennings trophies, Hall of Fame bust and Stanley Cup ring along for inspiration. :wink:

But seriously, I really hope that you guys can get a good permanent owner like Buffalo has. If any city in the NHL deserves it, it's St. Louis. I hate to hope for a rival's success, but you know. I've never really understood why an owner can't make it work there. I must have missed something along the way, because when did Checketts turn sour? It seemed like he would be a great owner at first. What happened?
thedoc wrote:
kodos wrote:I'd tell you what I'd do man... 334 chicks at the same time, man.
:plusplus:

If you owned a hockey team I think you could pull that off man.
Not all chicks are into a guy with hockey teams, man

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

For a team with no money, the Blues are doing alright. The problem is they have no money and Checketts won't let them spend any money.

That's the main problem.

The other problem is that he keeps stringing us along about selling the team. Making false promises and phony deadlines and being way to quiet about everything.