Modano Retires

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Modano Retires

Post by dmiles2186 »

It's all over Twitter. Only blemish is that he wore the Winged Wheel for a year.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nhl/story/_/i ... retirement
Former Dallas Stars forward Mike Modano, the NHL's all-time points leader among U.S.-born players, officially announced his retirement Wednesday.

The 41-year-old decided it was time to end his playing career after 21 years in the NHL, making the announcement on his Facebook page Wednesday, saying: "I've come to the decision that it's time to retire as a player from the NHL."

Modano confirmed the retirement to ESPNDallas.com shortly after that.

More from Andrew's Stars Page

Can't get enough hockey? ESPNDallas.com has all the latest on the Stars from Mark Stepneski and Richard Durrett. Blog

"I think I knew in my heart I was done after last season," Modano said. "I had a harder time coming to grips with it than I thought I would. Part of me wanted to play it out and see if anybody had called in July. When that didn't happen, I figured that's pretty much it.

"I wasn't working out much. I wasn't skating. There wasn't motivation to do much. I was traveling and at that point, I said, 'Let's pick a day here and get the thing on the calendar."

A news conference is slated for Friday morning at the Ritz-Carlton in Dallas.

Modano leaves as a soon-to-be Hall of Famer, holding the mark as the all-time points and goal scorer among U.S.-born players. The Michigan native was drafted first overall in 1988 by the Minnesota NorthStars and became the face of hockey in Dallas when the organization moved to Texas in 1993.

He played his final home game with the Stars on April 8, 2010, scoring the tying and winning goals in an emotional game. He considers it one of his greatest memories of his hockey career.

Modano said he will do some pregame work for the NHL Network in the coming weeks and hopes to do more of it as the season progresses. He's already slated to be on the pregame show for a handful of Stars games on FSSW. He'd like to work for the Stars organization once the ownership situation is resolved.

"Maybe in the PR or marketing side of it," Modano said. "I could maybe help talk to sponsors and work on getting the season tickets back up. When you have a new owner and a new direction and you get the money to do things, you can help build that support back. I'd like to help with that."

Modano wasn't ready to retire last year and signed a one-year deal with the Red Wings. But a wrist injury cost him half the season and when it was over, he said he had a feeling his career was over.

"I think I'll miss playoff hockey the most," Modano said. "There's just no other high than the playoff experience and being in the finals or bring in those elimination games or knowing the Stanley Cup was in the building. I'll miss the guys, the locker room, the traveling. It's like a second family. You did a lot with them and accomplished a lot with them and you certainly will remember those great memories with those guys."

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Modano Retires

Post by Portland Blues »

Surprised anyone saw it since he announced on Facebook the same day they changed the entire layout over there. :grin:

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

He is a 107 years old.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Good for him. Great guy, great career. There's just that whole Red Wing thing... :detsucks:

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Eh, screw Modano. Dallas Star and then a Red Wing. Sure he put up a lot of points, but towards the end in Dallas he seemed like a floater and kind of a douche.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Good because he was a pansy.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

ImageImage
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

On NHL Live today they showed Modano only in the Red wings jersey for his tribute video....makes me sick.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

bluenotekidd
All-Star
All-Star

Post by bluenotekidd »

He did this a year too late. He should have retired a Star, but now is tainted by having Wing stink all over him. :detsucks:

Official LGB Sponsor of EVERYTHING MACINNIS

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

bluenotekidd wrote:He did this a year too late. He should have retired a Star, but now is stained by having Wing taint all over him. :detsucks:
FTFY

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

gaijin wrote:
bluenotekidd wrote:He did this a year too late. He should have retired a Star, but now is stained by having Wing taint all over him. :detsucks:
FTFY

Classy! :plusplus:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

bluenotekidd
All-Star
All-Star

Post by bluenotekidd »

Modano will retire as Star

DALLAS (AP)—Mike Modano(notes) will retire as a member of the Dallas Stars.

During a news conference Friday in Dallas to formally announce his retirement, Modano will sign a one-day contract that will list an honorary amount of $999,999 for the No. 9 he wore during his franchise-record 1,459 games over 20 seasons with the Stars.

The 41-year-old Modano will then send his retirement paperwork to the NHL.

“Mike Modano will always be the face of this franchise. He means so much to our organization and all of our fans,” said general manager Joe Nieuwendyk, also a former teammate. “We wanted to give him the opportunity to retire as a Dallas Star. Mike has given his heart and soul to this game for over 30 years. On behalf of the entire organization and the National Hockey League, we would like to thank him for his dedication.”

Modano said Wednesday that he is retiring after 21 seasons in the NHL, a career that includes a Stanley Cup championship with the Stars in 1999. His 561 goals and 1,374 points are both records for U.S.-born players.

He played his final season for his hometown Detroit Red Wings, but was limited to 40 games and four goals after a skate sliced a tendon in his right wrist.

The first overall pick by the Minnesota North Stars in 1988, Modano became the face of the franchise after it moved to Dallas in 1993. The Stars also advanced to the Stanley Cup finals in 2000.

Along with his 1,459 games, Modano holds Stars franchise records for goals (557), assists (802), points (1,359), power play goals (156), shorthanded goals (29), game-winning goals (92). He is also the Stars’ playoff leader for games played (174), goals (58), assists (87) and points (145).

Ok, he's retiring as a Star, but this still doesn't redeem him for the year he spent playing for the great satan of hockey.

Official LGB Sponsor of EVERYTHING MACINNIS

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

bluenotekidd wrote:Modano will retire as Star

During a news conference Friday in Dallas to formally announce his retirement, Modano will sign a one-day contract that will list an honorary amount of $999,999 for the No. 9 he wore during his franchise-record 1,459 games over 20 seasons with the Stars.

“Mike Modano will always be the face of this franchise. He means so much to our organization and all of our fans,” said general manager Joe Nieuwendyk, also a former teammate. “We wanted to give him the opportunity to retire as a Dallas Star. Mike has given his heart and soul to this game for over 30 years. On behalf of the entire organization and the National Hockey League, we would like to thank him for his dedication.”

Modano said Wednesday that he is retiring after 21 seasons in the NHL, a career that includes a Stanley Cup championship with the Stars in 1999. His 561 goals and 1,374 points are both records for U.S.-born players.

He played his final season for his hometown Detroit Red Wings, but was limited to 40 games and four goals after a skate sliced a tendon in his right wrist.

The first overall pick by the Minnesota North Stars in 1988, Modano became the face of the franchise after it moved to Dallas in 1993. The Stars also advanced to the Stanley Cup finals in 2000.

Along with his 1,459 games, Modano holds Stars franchise records for goals (557), assists (802), points (1,359), power play goals (156), shorthanded goals (29), game-winning goals (92). He is also the Stars’ playoff leader for games played (174), goals (58), assists (87) and points (145).

Ok, he's retiring as a Star, but this still doesn't redeem him for the year he spent playing for the great satan of hockey.
$999,999? man can't he just take 9 cents? lol
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:
bluenotekidd wrote:Modano will retire as Star

$999,999? man can't he just take 9 cents? lol
A 9 cent contract would just turn their cap situation into a mess. :wink:

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb