Tarasenko update

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Tarasenko update

Post by DaDitka »

theohall wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
theohall wrote:If we got 3G and 5A in 5 games from role-players regularly, I would be ecstatic. :wink:

Oshie should have had 2 goals last night, but got robbed by some excellent goaltending from Schneider.

And before this hot streak he had 3 goals in 24 games. That's a 10.3 goals for the year pace.

Again..not knocking him, I love him, but he is not an elite scoring threat.
After coming off of a broken ankle. It takes time to get back up to speed. If Perron ever comes back, he won't be the same for 15-20 games either.

Not to mention consistently facing the other teams best defensive lines - until MacDonald returned. Guess what? When they can't focus on Oshie - he's not just another role-player.

What ever helps you sleep at night.

But one goal in his first 13 games with a good ankle and a healthy Andy MaC.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

SamJunior
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by SamJunior »

DaDitka wrote:
theohall wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
theohall wrote:If we got 3G and 5A in 5 games from role-players regularly, I would be ecstatic. :wink:

Oshie should have had 2 goals last night, but got robbed by some excellent goaltending from Schneider.

And before this hot streak he had 3 goals in 24 games. That's a 10.3 goals for the year pace.

After coming off of a broken ankle. It takes time to get back up to speed. If Perron ever comes back, he won't be the same for 15-20 games either.

Not to mention consistently facing the other teams best defensive lines - until MacDonald returned. Guess what? When they can't focus on Oshie - he's not just another role-player.

He had 9 or 10 assists in his first 13 games right? An assist always lead to a goal so if he scores only 10 goals in a season but puts up 70 assists, well I'm totally OK with that.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

SamJunior wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
theohall wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

He had 9 or 10 assists in his first 13 games right? An assist always lead to a goal so if he scores only 10 goals in a season but puts up 70 assists, well I'm totally OK with that.
An almost point per game "role-player"... whatever.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

SamJunior wrote:
Yes,......

Let's try this again.

Oshie is a huge asset for this team. Every team needs a player like him. I've just been lead to believe that he (Tarasenko) may be a more dangerous scorer the TJ.

I LOVE OSHIE. I'VE BOUGHT HIS JERSEY. I AM NOT BASHING OSHIE.

He's just not an elite or even great goal scorer. You guys have been trying to compare Tarasenko to Olvie and Malkin......elite talents. That was my point.

If he's more 'like' TJ, we have another really nice second or third line palyer. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm just hoping that he brings a better 'shot' with him. TJ has very nice puck skills, as you can tell by his assist numbers and his shoot out percentage. He doesn't however have a great 'shot' (the shootout is more about puckhandeling and moves). I had been lead to believe Tarasenko has a very good 'shot'

That is all. It's not that *&%#ing complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

DaDitka wrote:It's not that *&%#ing complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's just settle down here. Take it down a notch, man.

:lol:

I agree with your take on Oshie- he's an energy guy

I could see Oshie having an 80 point season... perhaps 30G & 50A based on his hustle and creativity alone... perhaps a little more.

I don't see him getting into the 100-120 point range though. If he had a wicked shot, perhaps.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don't see anybody on this team getting 100 points a season... ever. Now that would be okay if there were 3 or 4 guys who were scoring 65-70 points a season, but where is that?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

If Berglund played like a badass for 82 games, he could reach 100 points, easily.

I think Stewart is capable and Backes would have a shot.

Who would I bet money on to have the highest season point total of all these guys for their whole careers?... McDonald
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:If Berglund played like a badass for 82 games, he could reach 100 points, easily.

I think Stewart is capable and Backes would have a shot.
Agreed, especially Bergie and Stewart.

The thing holding Backes back could be the amount of time he typically spends in the box.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

How did we get from Berglund is a pussy Swedish meatball to he could score 100?

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

It's all based on how he's played in the last two weeks.

I think all this really proves is that he's a streaky player. Most players are really.

I don't think he's a 100 point guy. But he could easily turn into a 30/70 type of guy.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

kodos wrote:It's all based on how he's played in the last two weeks.

I think all this really proves is that he's a streaky player. Most players are really.

I don't think he's a 100 point guy. But he could easily turn into a 30/70 type of guy.
I'd agree he could score 70 points. I don't think anyone on this roster is capable of 100 points because I don't think anyone on this roster is consistent enough.

Steen, Backes, McDonald, Perron, even Boyes and Berglund they COULD approach 70, or even reach it, but will they all in the same season?

In the back of my mind, I'm formulating this wishful dream that the reason Alex Semin only signed a one year extension with Washington was because he wanted to give it one more go around with Ovechkin before he leaves the Caps and signs with the Blues to give it a few years around with Tarasenko and see if that works out any better. Every really good team has players who just mesh (or have meshed well in the past): Backstrom and Semin and Ovechkin, or Crosby and Malkin, Thornton and Marleau, Sedin and Sedin... Hull and Oates/Janney.

Who will be this teams next Hull and Oates?

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

David Perron has the best chance on the current roster to hit 100 points, when he's not seeing stars of course. He's a legit sniper who will benefit greatly on a line with Tarasenko and Stewart, or something like that.

Damn, I am excited about next year. Other than injury, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to roll 3 legit scoring lines.

Tarasenko-Stewart-Perron
Berglund-Oshie-Backes
Boyes-McDonald-Steen
D'Ags-Sobotka-Warm Body

Any stalwarts coming up as UFA defensemen? How bout Pronger? :lol:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ohio BLUES wrote:David Perron has the best chance on the current roster to hit 100 points, when he's not seeing stars of course. He's a legit sniper who will benefit greatly on a line with Tarasenko and Stewart, or something like that.

Damn, I am excited about next year. Other than injury, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to roll 3 legit scoring lines.

Tarasenko-Stewart-Perron
Berglund-Oshie-Backes
Boyes-McDonald-Steen
D'Ags-Sobotka-Warm Body

Brewer is a FA.

As for the opening part of your post, don't we say that every year?

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

glen a richter wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:David Perron has the best chance on the current roster to hit 100 points, when he's not seeing stars of course. He's a legit sniper who will benefit greatly on a line with Tarasenko and Stewart, or something like that.

Tarasenko-Stewart-Perron
Berglund-Oshie-Backes
Boyes-McDonald-Steen
D'Ags-Sobotka-Warm Body

Brewer is a FA.

As for the opening part of your post, don't we say that every year?
It's gotta come true one of these years. I say that it's next year. :letsgoblues:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

I dunno if Tarasenko is Ovie or not but when was the last time a Blues player ripped a one-timer like the one at 15 seconds of this:

[youtube][/youtube]
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I came in here with the intention of posting that same clip. I'm very excited about him.

As for him being like Oshie, I'd love to have another Oshie, but I think that would be a little disappointing out of him given all the hype. I think Oshie is more than a role player, but less than an elite scoring talent. Tarasenko is hyped as an elite scoring talent. Oshie is a great 2nd-liner, while Tarasenko is hyped as a great 1st-liner.

As an aside, I wish we could have seen more of Schwartz at the WJC. He has tons of scoring records at every level he's ever played, but I've hardly seen him skate.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

cardsfan04 wrote:Malkin might be a better measuring stick.
or Alexander Radulov...

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Tarasenko is a better scorer - but he plays like Oshie - as in he plays with that kind of drive and intensity. Which is what has led to the Ovie comparisons.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ohio BLUES wrote:David Perron has the best chance on the current roster to hit 100 points, when he's not seeing stars of course. He's a legit sniper who will benefit greatly on a team that has talent around him.
FTFY :okman:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star