GDT WCF Gm 6: 5/21/19 | 7 PM CT | vs Sharks | NBCSN

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT WCF Gm 6: 5/21/19 | 7 PM CT | vs Sharks | NBCSN

Post by theohall »

The team that sat dead last in the NHL when the calendar flipped to 2019 is now one win away from the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 1970.

That kind of turnaround sounds like a cheesy movie of the week, but it's the scenario before the St. Louis Blues after they blasted the host San Jose Sharks 5-0 Sunday afternoon to take a 3-2 lead in the Western Conference finals.

"We're close," Blues forward Patrick Maroon told reporters. "We're very close right now. I think the guys know that. It's in the back of their heads, but we know that that's a good hockey team over there, too, and they're not going to give up."

The Blues will look to close out the best-of-seven series Tuesday at home when they host Game 6. The winner of the series will face the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup Final.

Coincidentally, the last time the Blues reached the championship round, they lost to the Bruins -- a result forever framed by the famous image of Bobby Orr flying through the air after scoring the Cup-winning goal. St. Louis made the Cup final in each of its first three seasons but hasn't returned since.

"It's gonna be a lot of emotion and it's important our players keep it in check," Blues head coach Craig Berube said. "Our players have done a pretty good job of ... focusing. I don't expect anything different. It's important at the start of the game you're simple and direct. Keep your emotions in check and not let them get out of control."

Berube's charges moved ahead in the series with their most dominating performance of the playoffs. Jaden Schwartz recorded a hat trick and goalie Jordan Binnington made 21 saves for his first career playoff shutout as the Blues claimed their seventh win in nine road tilts this spring.

"If you saw the game, you saw how good everyone on the team played," Binnington told Sportsnet after the game. "Everyone was outstanding, making the right decisions, playing hard and playing disciplined. That's a good team win."

And a costly one for the Sharks. Not only did they suffer a defeat, but the Sharks suffered through a war of attrition in what may be their final home game of the season. Defenseman Erik Karlsson and forward Tomas Hertl didn't play in the third period, while captain Joe Pavelski left early in the final frame after taking a hard check.

Karlsson, who appeared to aggravate a groin injury that limited him during the regular season, looked nothing like himself on the game's first goal. His poor giveaway resulted in Oskar Sundqvist's game-opening goal before the six-minute mark. From there, it went to downright ugly for the hosts as the Blues took complete control.

Schwartz's trio of goals gives him 12 in the playoffs, one more than he collected through the regular season, while Vladimir Tarasenko netted a penalty shot goal in a three-point game. Tarasenko has collected at least one point in every game this series.

Now, the Sharks must find a way to recover and win on the road to force a seventh game at home, which would be Thursday.

"We've been here before. We had to go and win in Vegas to get to a Game 7," said coach Peter DeBoer, whose team has been outscored 7-1 in the last two games. "You're never comfortable when your back's against the wall like that, but we've been there before and found away. We're confident we can do that again."

Sharks goalie Martin Jones stopped 35 shots in the loss.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT WCF Gm 6: 5/21/19 | 7 PM CT | vs Sharks | NBCSN

Post by gaijin »

The Sharks are going to come out on fire and try to get control of the game early. The Blues need to play the same disciplined, simple game they played on Sunday and good things will happen.

Do it! Close it out tonight!!!

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

In keeping with avoiding any form of jinx, there will be no wearing of my cursed t-shirt and no playing of Gloria before or during the game.

Bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is that they have to put this series away tonight. If it goes back to San Jose, they're going to win in 7 so the Blues have to win in 6. Pepper Jones all night long, he'll crack if he faces enough shots. Don't be undisciplined, don't take any silly penalties and watch out for retaliation after the play. The Sharks are going to try to send the entire roster to the hospital because that's their style. Don't fall into their trap, just play a repeat of game 5, this time with last line changes and the home crowd behind you every step of the way.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm nervous and encouraged all at the same time. Unlike in years past, when this team has had the chance to put away teams: Jets and Stars, this postseason, they've drastically outplayed their opponent, and done just that. True, the Stars went to Double OT but that was mainly because Bishop was playing out of his mind.

I'm nervous from the simple fact of the magnitude of this game and if the Sharks have shown us anything this postseason it's a similar resilience in finding a way to win.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm nervous and encouraged all at the same time. Unlike in years past, when this team has had the chance to put away teams: Jets and Stars, this postseason, they've drastically outplayed their opponent, and done just that. True, the Stars went to Double OT but that was mainly because Bishop was playing out of his mind.

I'm nervous from the simple fact of the magnitude of this game and if the Sharks have shown us anything this postseason it's a similar resilience in finding a way to win.
Well said. Same.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Karllson and Hertl are out, Pavelski game time decision.

Don't take this as an opportunity to lay back and say "hey, they're shorthanded and we've got this in the bag!", take it as an opportunity to crush them while they're down. I'll take another 5-0 win, please.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:Karllson and Hertl are out, Pavelski game time decision.

Don't take this as an opportunity to lay back and say "hey, they're shorthanded and we've got this in the bag!", take it as an opportunity to crush them while they're down. I'll take another 5-0 win, please.
Hell yeah. Don't take your foot off the gas just because all the press is saying the Sharks are banged up and toothless.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

You know I could really use the Blues to win tonight so I can end my self imposed boycott of my favorite radio station... 94.3 the shark.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Is it time yet!? Nervous and just hoping we see the "good" Blues play tonight.

:goblues: :letsgoblues: :goblues:

California Blues
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by California Blues »

No game seven. Tonight, at home, the long wait to return to the finals will end.
LET'S GO BLUES!

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

That'll work! :woohoo:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Sammy Blais wrists the puck through a crowd, after a great feed by O'Reilly!!!! Blues lead 1-0 early!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :woohoo:

PS: Perron got credit for the goal. I guess it deflected off his body. I didn't see him tip it with his stick blade.
Last edited by Robb_K on Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Gfys wrote:That kid is fuxking annoying
Frankly so are you. Thanks for stopping by.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

That's a PP! :shock: :banana:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Tarasenko wrists it above Jones' shoulder, for the power play goal!!!! Blues lead 2-0!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :woohoo:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Great 1st Period for The Blues! They dominated possession, and continued to punish The Sharks physically. They won most of the races to the puck, and Binnington was sharp. They just need to keep this type of play up, and add a few more goals to demoralise The Sharks, and have them subconsciously "give up".

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Would love to see another goal to go up 3-0 because The Blues. :shock:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Jones looks wonky - need to keep throwing the puck at him. :goblues: