listen to Lets Go Blues Radio on iTunes!

subscribe to the podcast

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:21 am

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:54 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6599
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
Which podcasts are you guys listening to?

My mainstays are The Nerdist and Slate's Hang Up and Listen. I listen to WTF, Sklarbro Country, You Made it Weird, The Rich Eisen Podcast from time to time (depending who the guests are).

The most recent one I've been listening to is 'We're Alive: A Story of Survival' which is a zombie/survival story acted out. Pretty cool. I've dabbled in 'Welcome to Night Vale' as well. Another I thought about listening to is 'The Thrilling Adventure Hour,' but I don't know if I have time to start from the beginning on that one.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:20 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:10 am
Posts: 2260
Location: Kirkwood, MO
Try the Crabfeast with Jay Larson and Ryan Sickler.

_________________
Image

*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:46 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 1871
Location: Indiana?
I'm a fan of NPR. I'll listen to TED Radio hour, All Songs Considered, and This American Life. This Week in Tech is also good.

Hmm, I may be a nerd...

_________________
...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:48 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Posts: 20165
Location: Center Ice
Leo Laporte - The Tech Guy
I like having this on in the background as I do stuff. Lots of good info.

_________________
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:47 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6599
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
Anybody listen to 'Serial?' It just finished season 1 and sort of became a cultural phenomenon.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:49 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6599
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
I also realize how much my podcast rotation has changed. I dropped Hang up and Listen. Men in Blazers is a go to, the Indoor Kids, Serial, The Short Corner w/ Paul Shirley and Justin Halpern, Nerdist (as always).

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:17 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 2977
A couple weeks ago one of my old college roommates said something about Serial, so I checked it out. It's the only podcast I've ever listened to, and seems really good. I haven't listened to the finale yet today, but I think he's guilty.

I've heard Criminal is good. It's supposed to be similar.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:01 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6599
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
cardsfan04 wrote:
A couple weeks ago one of my old college roommates said something about Serial, so I checked it out. It's the only podcast I've ever listened to, and seems really good. I haven't listened to the finale yet today, but I think he's guilty.

I've heard Criminal is good. It's supposed to be similar.


I haven't heard of Criminal, I might have to check it out. Podcasts are by far my favorite media right now. On certain podcasts, you get to hear these long form interviews that have time to breathe. If you are into comedy, music, movies, Nerdist or WTF are the best to go. You can find old episodes of your favorite comedians or actors and just hear them talk candidly and openly about things you'd never hear them talk about elsewhere.

But I digress. I'll be interested to hear your take on the whole thing after you finished the first season of Serial. I've been dying to talk about it with someone else.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:34 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 2977
I'll probably listen to the last episode tomorrow at work. Didn't get a chance to today, but should be pretty open tomorrow.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 2977
Just finished it.

I think it's really hard to be convinced of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt when hearing a story in this format. So, pretty much by default, I'm not sure I could vote guilty if I was using the legal burden.

But, I think he's guilty for 2 reasons:

1. There's something about his demeanor that I just don't trust. That's a kinda thin reason to think somebody is guilty, but the status quo here is that he's been convicted. He reminds me of people I know, even friends, that I get along with, but take things with a grain of salt. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there's something about him that reminds me of people like that. I wish I could be more specific, but not sure how to be. And, while that's thin, it's pretty much a he-said/he-said. When you distrust one of the "he's" it pushes you to the other side. I don't necessarily trust Jay either though, so I dunno.

2. The distrust makes me lean toward thinking he's guilty. What really pushes me more than just kinda leaning that way is something they touched on in the last episode. If he's innocent, he's the unluckiest guy in the world. It's really convenient to not have a memory of the specific time in question, especially when the person pointing the finger at you has at least some corroboration to his story. The butt dial thing is really thin, especially with a 1999 phone. I don't recall butt dialing people until I had a smart phone.

The DNA evidence could be interesting. It seems to maybe open a door for him. I guess it gives me some hope that he's innocent (which I guess I hope is true). But, that seems unlikely to go anywhere. Can't say for certain, but I think he's guilty.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:28 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 2977
Somebody from Deadspin (or one of their 9 million spinoff sites) doesn't like Serial:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/serial ... 1673349627

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:47 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6599
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
cardsfan04 wrote:
Just finished it.

I think it's really hard to be convinced of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt when hearing a story in this format. So, pretty much by default, I'm not sure I could vote guilty if I was using the legal burden.

But, I think he's guilty for 2 reasons:

1. There's something about his demeanor that I just don't trust. That's a kinda thin reason to think somebody is guilty, but the status quo here is that he's been convicted. He reminds me of people I know, even friends, that I get along with, but take things with a grain of salt. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there's something about him that reminds me of people like that. I wish I could be more specific, but not sure how to be. And, while that's thin, it's pretty much a he-said/he-said. When you distrust one of the "he's" it pushes you to the other side. I don't necessarily trust Jay either though, so I dunno.

2. The distrust makes me lean toward thinking he's guilty. What really pushes me more than just kinda leaning that way is something they touched on in the last episode. If he's innocent, he's the unluckiest guy in the world. It's really convenient to not have a memory of the specific time in question, especially when the person pointing the finger at you has at least some corroboration to his story. The butt dial thing is really thin, especially with a 1999 phone. I don't recall butt dialing people until I had a smart phone.

The DNA evidence could be interesting. It seems to maybe open a door for him. I guess it gives me some hope that he's innocent (which I guess I hope is true). But, that seems unlikely to go anywhere. Can't say for certain, but I think he's guilty.


I tend to agree with a lot of what you said. For me, Jay was the guy all along until about the last 2-3 episodes. The 'unluckiness' is a big factor in my shift. There's just too much there for Adnan not to be involved...right? Even if he, say, hired or convinced Jay to kill Hae, for example. I think Jay was involved somehow as well, even more so than he helped bury the body, or whatever. I think he saw his chance, ratted out Adnan, and got the reduced sentence and has been scott free ever since.

At the same time, there's no way I could convict Adnan as a jury member, not as things stand currently. I'm interested to see if anything more comes out with the DNA evidence.

So question: do you think the podcast worked? Or do you think it was a 'waste of time' like the Deadspin article?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:26 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 2977
Yeah, I don't trust Jay either. And that makes me not sure I would convict Adnan even though I think he's probably guilty. A huge chunk of the evidence comes from Jay saying Adnan asked him to bury the body. But, I mean, who does that? I'm supposed to believe Adnan killed Hae and then asked an acquaintance to help him bury the body? Seriously? AND the acquaintance said yes? That just doesn't make sense. And, if the buggest piece of evidence against him doesn't make sense, I guess i probably couldn't convict either. As I'm typing this, I'm talking myself out of how guilty I think he is. I dunno.

As for whether it worked, I'm not sure how to define working. I think the Deadspin author had her nose pretty high in the air. Some if the criticism was valid. And, maybe Koenig did take on the project hoping to win a Pulitzer or something. She certainly seemed to want to believe he was innocent. But, I was entertained. In that sense, it definitely worked. And, I'll listen to season two, although I'm skeptical of it being good again. Trying to repeat a viral hit is no small task.

As an aside, I feel bad for Hae's family. I don't think it was unethical to do this podcast, but it's gotta be tough for your daughter's murder to draw such sensationalization.

If the DNA stuff somehow shows that it was a random act or that guy just out of prison or something, it would make everything everybody said seem so different, especially Jay and Adnan. And it would absolutely mean the show worked.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:57 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 2977
My cousin sent me this today: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... l-part-one

It's the first episode of a 2-part series on This American Life (where Serial came from) about a high school in Chicago that struggles with violence. It's not the same as Serial and doesn't have Sarah Koenig (at least not yet, I'm like 2/3 of the way through right now), but it's really captivating.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:01 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6599
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
cardsfan04 wrote:
My cousin sent me this today: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... l-part-one

It's the first episode of a 2-part series on This American Life (where Serial came from) about a high school in Chicago that struggles with violence. It's not the same as Serial and doesn't have Sarah Koenig (at least not yet, I'm like 2/3 of the way through right now), but it's really captivating.


Sweet, nice find. I'm going to have to check that out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:52 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:10 am
Posts: 2260
Location: Kirkwood, MO
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

_________________
Image

*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:27 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 2977
These are good reads on Serial follow-up. The first 3 are links to a 3-part interview with Jay. The last one is a link to part 1 of a multi-part interview with the prosecutor. I believe part 2 of the prosecutor interview is supposed to come out today. Neither Jay nor the prosecutor hold Sarah Koenig in very high regard.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... case-pt-1/
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... ay-part-2/
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... ks-part-3/

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015 ... es-record/

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:22 pm 
Offline
Hockey God
Hockey God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Posts: 6599
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach
cardsfan04 wrote:
These are good reads on Serial follow-up. The first 3 are links to a 3-part interview with Jay. The last one is a link to part 1 of a multi-part interview with the prosecutor. I believe part 2 of the prosecutor interview is supposed to come out today. Neither Jay nor the prosecutor hold Sarah Koenig in very high regard.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... case-pt-1/
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... ay-part-2/
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... ks-part-3/

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015 ... es-record/


Those were great reads. And I feel bad for those guys after reading that. I can't blame them for being angry because the podcasts turns them more into characters than fleshing them out as real human beings. It puts them in a box. I'm glad they both got a platform to tell their side of the story. I predicted this to one of my friends, but when Serial shot out of nowhere to the top, you knew there was going to be an inevitable backlash. I think it's just now starting and Koenig is getting heat for it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:37 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 2977
dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
These are good reads on Serial follow-up. The first 3 are links to a 3-part interview with Jay. The last one is a link to part 1 of a multi-part interview with the prosecutor. I believe part 2 of the prosecutor interview is supposed to come out today. Neither Jay nor the prosecutor hold Sarah Koenig in very high regard.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... case-pt-1/
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... ay-part-2/
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... ks-part-3/

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015 ... es-record/


Those were great reads. And I feel bad for those guys after reading that. I can't blame them for being angry because the podcasts turns them more into characters than fleshing them out as real human beings. It puts them in a box. I'm glad they both got a platform to tell their side of the story. I predicted this to one of my friends, but when Serial shot out of nowhere to the top, you knew there was going to be an inevitable backlash. I think it's just now starting and Koenig is getting heat for it.


Yeah, definitely. I don't know if she ever explicitly said it, but it seemed pretty obvious that she wanted him to be innocent. That's not a shot at her. I think she generally made an honest attempt at presenting facts down the middle and more or less succeeded (although hard to say without knowing everything). But, given what is at least my perception of her bias, I'm not at all surprised that people on the other side are upset, especially Jay. I mean, I believe her when she says she didn't leak things to Reddit, but I get why he doesn't like her. The most popular theory I've heard is that Jay did it. If the only thing he's guilty of is poor judgment the day he helped bury the body, I'd be pissed if I were him too.

I keep checking for part 2 with the prosecutor, but can't find it posted yet. I thought it was supposed to be up yesterday.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Podcast Talk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:51 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 2977
Apparently part 2 hasn't been posted yet because of the backlash part 1 got. Serial responded and the 2 authors of the prosecutor interview article have a response to the Serial response that The Intercept hasn't decided what to do with yet. I'm more intrigued now than I was after reading part 1 of the prosecutor interview.

A lot of Serial fans are very unhappy with these guys now.

_________________
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

Board index » Other Forums » Everything Else [OT]

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group