It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:27 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Quote:
CALGARY, Alberta -- The Calgary Flames will face a tough test against the St. Louis Blues on Monday night to wrap up their seven-game homestand at the Scotiabank Saddledome.

After dropping a 5-2 decision to the Blues (13-4-1) on Oct. 25 in St. Louis, the Flames (9-7-0) returned home and have won four of their past six games, including a 6-3 victory over the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday.

Since then, they've had three days off to prepare for the Blues, whose three-game winning streak ended Saturday with a 5-2 loss at home to the New York Islanders.

"It will be a big match for us considering what happened in St. Louis," said Calgary coach Glen Gulutzan, who liked his team's effort through two periods in St. Louis. "We didn't like our third period in that game."

While Gulutzan has been happy with his team's 4-2 record during the lengthy homestand, he hasn't been pleased with the number of quality scoring chances the Flames have given up.

"We feel that we're one of the top teams creating chances, but we're one of the bottom teams in giving them up right now," Gulutzan said. "We don't think, with the players that we have, that we should be in that situation.

"Five-on-five, we think we can be a lot tighter group. If we're generating at the rate we are and we can be even 20 percent better (defensively), we think we can really get on a roll."

After missing Calgary's last three games with a lower-body injury, defenseman Travis Hamonic will be a game-day decision as to whether he plays against the Blues.

"I'm feeling good," Hamonic said. "I feel like I'm back up to where my body feels it needs to be."

While out of the lineup, Hamonic looked on from the press box as the Flames won two of three games and outscored their opponents 14-12.

"We're scoring some goals now and the games have kind of opened up," he said. "I think defensively now we want to try and reel it in as a group collectively. We don't want to be giving up four and having to win games 5-4 or 6-4."

After his team suffered just its second three-goal loss of the year, St. Louis coach Mike Yeo vowed that the Blues will bounce back with a better effort against the Flames.

"We'll hit the ice for practice and get ready for a tough road trip here," said Yeo, whose squad will also play the Edmonton Oilers on Thursday and the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday.

"We're a team that presses and we're a team that attacks, but we do it with control. I don't think we had any control (against the Islanders)."

Although defenseman Jay Bouwmeester (ankle) and forward Patrik Berglund (shoulder) aren't expected to play on the trip, both injured players accompanied the team out west.

Bouwmeester told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he doesn't feel there's a big rush for him to get back in the lineup.

"We're in a position here (and) the team's doing so good, there's no pressure to force anything," said the former Flames defenseman who fractured his ankle just three days into training camp during a scrimmage.

Official LGB Sponsor Dmitrij Jaskin 2014-2015 Season

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:52 am 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

They better come out with a better effort than against the Islanders. That was ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Watching the Flames last game, even though they win, they look awful. Outside of Gaudreau, they are awful at puck possession and regularly turn the puck over in their own end. 2 of the first 3 Flames goals were off of really bad turnovers by the Red Wings which led to an uncovered man directly in front of the net. The other goal - off of a faceoff win and Gaudreau gets free while the Wings are all flat-footed after losing the draw. Break outs, basically non-existent, unless Gaudreau is on the ice. Jagr's goal - 2-on-1 break setup by.... Gaudreau. Shut down Gaudrean and the Flames lose.

If the Blues play their game the way they are capable of playing, the Blues should win.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Tarasenko blasts the puck by The Flames goalie!!! Blues lead 1-0!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:18 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

But The Flames score right back. Boo!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:39 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Nice drive on net by Schwartz, drawing a penalty!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:42 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Seems the boys didn't exactly bring their "A" game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:43 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Schwartz scores from right in front on the PP, getting the broken stick fan shot right to him! Ties it up 2-2!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

The Blues commit the dreaded "Too many men on the ice" penalty, once again. They need better discipline.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

This is the B-/C+ game. At times it looks like the A game, but not near enough. Calgary had a far harder time playing Detroit on Thursday and they scored 5 goals playing like crap.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Please call up Blais or Thompson and ship Bennett out. Seriously do not get what he had done to deserve being on the line with Schwartz and Schenn. He made that line ineffective for most of 2 periods, then is absolutely awful when demoted to the 3rd line.

And if the goal is to play 91 with someone else to spread out the scoring threats without bringing up Blais or Thompson, put Jaskin back with 17 and 10. That line combo was doing great to start the season.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:58 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Wow, just wow. Who completely forgot how to play hockey in the 3rd period?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:43 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

You know how we as Blues fans tend to recognize hard working 3rd/4th line players. Beau Bennett doesn't do that at all. I don't even get why he's on this team other than - oooo - he is a right-handed shot. WTF? He SUCKS!!!! There are more talented players available with a right-handed shot than Beau "I can't handle a perfect pass from Schwartz" Bennett. He doesn't create anything. He barely hits. He doesn't pass well. He doesn't receive passes well. He isn't particularly fast. WTF does this guy even do and how in the heck is he still on an NHL roster? At least Paajarvi puts forth visible effort. Methinks someone is being over-reliant on advanced metrics while ignoring the in-game eyeball test.

Blaming this loss on the coaching staff for thinking Bennett would work at all with Schwartz and Schenn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

A number of guys truly cannot join this team fast enough, among those being Blais, Kyrou (in March, for sure) and Kostin. Thompson is still too lanky to complete at the physical level of the NHL game. I may have only seen him play live one time, but I could tell he wasn't ready.

I really think, and trying to avoid the hideous cliche here but it's not happening, that Kyrou joining the club just before the playoffs will be like making a huge trade.

The reason this team is pulling back to the mean is because the coaching is playing incompetents. I mean yeah, it doesn't help that they give up 12 goals in 2 games, but some lineup changes would be really nice right now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:04 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

theohall wrote:
You know how we as Blues fans tend to recognize hard working 3rd/4th line players. Beau Bennett doesn't do that at all. I don't even get why he's on this team other than - oooo - he is a right-handed shot. WTF? He SUCKS!!!! There are more talented players available with a right-handed shot than Beau "I can't handle a perfect pass from Schwartz" Bennett. He doesn't create anything. He barely hits. He doesn't pass well. He doesn't receive passes well. He isn't particularly fast. WTF does this guy even do and how in the heck is he still on an NHL roster? At least Paajarvi puts forth visible effort. Methinks someone is being over-reliant on advanced metrics while ignoring the in-game eyeball test.

Blaming this loss on the coaching staff for thinking Bennett would work at all with Schwartz and Schenn.

Saw Twitter he get sent back down to the AHL today so there you go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:26 pm 
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

glen a richter wrote:
Wow, just wow. Who completely forgot how to play hockey in the 3rd period?

Ya...that sucked..........again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:34 pm 
Hockey God
Hockey God

WaukeeBlues wrote:
theohall wrote:

Saw Twitter he get sent back down to the AHL today so there you go

Thank goodness!! Anyone get called up or are Berglund/Bouwmeester back in the lineup?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 pm 
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Never thought I'd see the day I was anxiously awaiting Berglund and Bouw's return to the lineup.

Actually, that's more tongue-in-cheek than anything. I think Berglund will help round out the offense pretty well, especially if he has a season like last year. His size will help up front.

Bouwmeester is a little more of a question mark as to how he fits in. If I remember correctly, contributing on offense was his specialty in his earlier days. Maybe this current "defense chips in" scheme will be perfect for him.

Anything that changes the way the Blues have played in the last two games...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:49 am 
Hockey God
Hockey God

Berglund is the 3rd line center the Blues are missing right now.

Concern with Bouwmeester is foot-speed. He just isn't as fast as he used to be and part of having an active defense is being able to rely on speed to recover when the active D gets caught in the O-zone being active. That's what happened in the Islanders game early. D got caught being active and the Islanders were able to effectively counter. That will happen again this season, but I'd rather see the risky attack all season long and the occasional getting caught game.

This was not the case vs the Flames. A severe lack of sustained offensive zone pressure largely due to the awful play of Beau Bennett whose mistakes repeatedly led to easy breakouts for the Flames. No, it wasn't all him, but he solely killed the Schenn/Schwartz combo from doing anything.

Board index » Let's Go Blues » St. Louis Blues Discussion